TCS Midway or TCS Vesuvius?

Essex

Spaceman
Which is better? I would have to say TCS Vesuvius, with twice as many fighers. But, TCS Midway is bigger, isn't it?

The Midway and the Vesuvius are both part of the Hollywood Ideal and the Idiot Male Impulse that bigger is better. Frankly, the Vesuvius is the more realistic of the two, since it's just a really big Fleet Carrier. The Midway is an oversized...thing that I've never really been able to accept as part of WC cannon (though I know it is).

Personally, I'd perfer the Tarawa... :D

I know exactly what you mean, like I have trouble considering pizza as part of whe whole pie family.

Tarawa and Concordia are probably the best. By Concordia I mean the Fleet Carrier class, not the battleship, which was also very cool.

Originally posted by Frosty
I know exactly what you mean, like I have trouble considering pizza as part of the whole pie family.

Oh jeez, do I smell badly placed sarcasm? :)

How big *was* the Vesuvius, anyway? I know the Midway was about 5 kilometers (I think), but I don't own WC4, so I never got to actually see the Vesuvius in action.

What do you have against the Midway? Not only is it a great carrier, but it is also a veritable floating starbase replete with science facilities, complete Marine compliments, the ability to coordinate entire strike forces and has excellent medical facilities. Thats something id want to have on my side.

Besdies, the bigger they are, the more ass they kick.

Supdon3: How do we know the Vesuvius doesn't have the things you just listed? Secondly bigger doesn't necessarily equal bigger ass kicking.

Rampage3051: IIRC the Midway is 1.8km long and the Vesuvius is 1.4km long.

Because all those features were new with the Midway class. Other ships may have had them but not to the extensiveness of the Midway class.

Nope. I always figured they were there to make the front of the ship not be flat.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 07-04-2001 at 18:09]

Don't the prongs have something to do with keeping the structure of the ships? I remember something about that from the WC4 novel.

Yeah, I'm sure the commander of a Vesuvius class vessel looks out at a Midway class. "Oh, god...they have better science faculities than we do..."

Vesuvius would whomp Midway's ass. The bigger they are, the more ass they kick? Let's not forget the Defiant...a very small ship, but it's overpowered. Vesuvius-class has more fighters, and would overwhelm the Midway in a battle...they also have more guns than a Midway, IIRC.

The Defiant is an anomoly for Star Trek, and still, Galaxy class and Soverign class ships could beat a Defiant class.

One on one, sure the Vesuvius might be able to beat the Midway class but when do they ever go up against each other one on one? A Midway class would be part of a much larger fleet and have better coordination of its fleet elements.

Then theres another element, just because you do destroy your opponets carrier, doesnt mean it's fighters just automaticcally combust. In a one on one fight, im sure the fighters from both carriers would be able to eliminate the other's before the fight was over.

[Edited by Supdon3 on 07-04-2001 at 18:53]

Originally posted by Nep Parth
Yeah, I'm sure the commander of a Vesuvius class vessel looks out at a Midway class. "Oh, god...they have better science faculities than we do..."

Vesuvius would whomp Midway's ass. The bigger they are, the more ass they kick? Let's not forget the Defiant...a very small ship, but it's overpowered. Vesuvius-class has more fighters, and would overwhelm the Midway in a battle...they also have more guns than a Midway, IIRC.

ehhmm...

the Midway can carry up to 250 fighters and has also enough equipment for the 1500 marines on board, this makes a crew of 6000 people... I don't think that your Vesuvius can stand up against the Midway in any way. the midway has the same shields as a military base.
well, Vesuvius has more guns (midway: 16 lasercanons, 6 rocket launch stations and 8 ion canons against carriers and so on)... who cares? midway has more fighters and she has 6 artilery-like fighter starting tubes. if 1 or 2 of them are damaged, the other 4 can still start fighters, if you disable the starting dock of the Vesuvius you can't start any more ships...

think about it...

Frosty

There's no definitive way to prove which carrier is better. Judging from the stats the Vesuvius with its 400 fighter complement holds the advantage - not much more can be said.

Back