TCS Cimino - Where?

Quarto said:
I see what you're saying, but I don't think it's necessarily a logical assumption. For all we know, the 30-series CVs could have been the same class as the Victory, and had simply been mothballed earlier (...or none of them survived to be mothballed).

WC3 Frigates - shouldn't there be an "unknown frigate" entry for these in the class list? After all, as far as we know these can't be positively linked to WC4's Caernaven frigates.

For the 40-series CVs, it's another "two-way street" deal. Of course it can be something else besides Victory-type (or Hermes-type). The thing here is linking the '40-series CVs' to the Victory, if it is really legitimate. Tolwyn said the 40-series were retired, the Victory is CV-40, and the Victory was retired herself. The pieces do fall together, but as with alot of WC material, it can't be confirmed.

Frigates, hmmmmm. Quarto brought something good up. The WC4 frigate had 4 lasers and 2 missile turrets. The WC3 frigate had 3 laser turrets, maybe it's different class afterall?

AD, the Border Worlds "made up" with Confed after WC4. If the freaking Admiral of the Border Worlds fleet, went back to Confed to be the Captain of the Midway (and Hawk as well, who was the biggest warmonger against Confed during the conflict), that should say a bit about the political situation.

I dunno about the WC2 Bloodfang.

The Hellcat pic, looks like F-83C or F-93C here to me.

All That Remains said:
the two pelican class ships that got jumped were the TCS Barkley and the TCS Porter i believe that was the other one. i've played Prophecy about 50 times over and i never came across that ship before.

Is it possible to save the Barkley, or is its destruction scripted?

Scripted - the Barkley goes up half a second after Casey and Co. arrive at the battle. In fact, all the ships in that convoy are scripted to die, save for the Redeemer.

I can't recall, but does anyone remember the WC3 3do VS manual. It had pictured all of the capships as well display stats. Was there a picture for the Frigate? This might clear up the whole Caernaven/WC3 frigate thing.

This list is very nice, but can you add a list of all used references? I mean, I know that WC4N stands for the WC4 novel, but what is OOGWC3 or PS?
This would make the list more complete...

I believe there's a list up at the CIC already -- the hope is to have a standardized system for citations. I'll find it and stick it in an appendix, though. (OOGWC3 would be Origin's Official Guide to WC3, PS would be Pilgrim Stars.)

Ok some interesting info for you here. As far as the hellcat V is concerned there is no reall vay to tell from the video what its designation it. It's either P or F followed by a Dash and then some other undefinable characters (ex: P-XXX Hellcat V)

Great -- I'll take a look with the 3DO version when I get home in December.

Hehe, if there was ever a "most continuity-screwing manual" awarrd, Voices of War would have to receive it .

Yeah, that's true.. still, it creates a lot of interesting things, too.

(Most of the ship specification issues in Voices of War aren't really the manual's fault -- it's just an even worse case of the manual going to press long before the game was finished, what with the amount of balancing-for-multiplayer they did late in the design in terms of ship specifications.)

TCS Intrepid (II) - does this one appear on the Confed list because of the WC4 ending?

Yes.

KIS Ni'lakh - given that, in the quote, "ni'lakh" is not capitalised, I'm not sure if we can interpret this as its name.

Removed!

WC3 Frigates - shouldn't there be an "unknown frigate" entry for these in the class list? After all, as far as we know these can't be positively linked to WC4's Caernaven frigates.

Added!

That makes sense to me. All the pilots and officers in the background in that scene are wearing confed uniforms and patches. Hawk also apears in the "darker" ending in a confed uniform. It really leads to some serious questions though. What the hell happened to the Border world? And why does confed now own the Intrepid (I guess originally it was a confed ship but had a different name).

Well, the Border Worlds are still around as a political entity in 2681 (they're on the WCU Map)... and they have a military of some sort (a number of WCP Guide biographies reference it) -- but they also seem to rely on the Confederation for defense (mentioned in the SO fiction).

Im just curious abuot the newship list doc. I am happy to see the full list of all the ships known in the Wing Commander universe, although I was wondering would be easier if there was a table or somewhat of all the ships classification and the ships under that class?? Would it be easier??

I think that'd probably end up being disappointing -- since there's usually one or two ships known of any given class.

Is the WC2 Bloodfang considered to be a one-off? The WC3 version's in the document, and was mentioned as being flown by the Blood Most Noble squadron as well as Thrakhath, but were the BMN squad also equipped with the WC2 type? Then again, even if they weren't, there's still that other Bloodfang in Ultima.

I think given the claim that the completely different WC2 Strakha is related to the WC3 version combined with the complete lack of backstory for the Bloodfang means we can't rule on it one way or another.

Frigates, hmmmmm. Quarto brought something good up. The WC4 frigate had 4 lasers and 2 missile turrets. The WC3 frigate had 3 laser turrets, maybe it's different class afterall?

Yup, this came up in a recent thread.

I can't recall, but does anyone remember the WC3 3do VS manual. It had pictured all of the capships as well display stats. Was there a picture for the Frigate? This might clear up the whole Caernaven/WC3 frigate thing.

3DO Victory Streak is kind of odd, but I'll add an annotation anyway.

Oddifies - Class/Picture
Confed Starbase - Kilrathi Delius Asteroid Base
Kilrathi Starbase - Confed Theta II Asteroid Depot
Confed Cruiser - An explosion
Confed Frigate - The very first WC3 screenshot, of an Arrow flying over a large slab-shaped ship.

Mmkay, new version is up, includes various minor fixes and the addition of the Border Worlds and Landreich class list.

It also has a 'captured ships' list separate from the others, which is a work in progress.

Bandit LOAF said:
Confed Frigate - The very first WC3 screenshot, of an Arrow flying over a large slab-shaped ship.
Hmm, I'm curious about that large slab-shaped ship - is there anywhere in the internet where this screenshot can be found?

I googled it for a while but didn't come up with anything (which is frustrating, as I saw it while looking for something else just last night). It looks like it's a close up of part of the WCIV Kilrathi Transport, sort of.

I'll keep looking.

That looks like... something weird. I don't think it's the Kilrathi dreadnought, but I have no idea what it could be (though the logo texture looks kinda Kilrathi...).

The pic definitely looks like the WC3-3DO Kilrathi transport. The only time this ship could be seen on PC was the WC4 Flashpak cutscene.

Quarto said:
That looks like... something weird. I don't think it's the Kilrathi dreadnought, but I have no idea what it could be (though the logo texture looks kinda Kilrathi...).

Fly into the middle front of it, and turn to face one of the prongs. It's not the whole thing, just the tip of a prong.

Here's a Ships List update that may shock you: AD divided the Wing Commander movie DVD's 5.1 audio track into individual segments and listened to the background chatter... and he's found *eight* new ships mentioned!: TCS Ally, TCS Avalon, TCS Barracuda, TCS Bradley, TCS Darwin, TCS Jean Louis, TCS Langston and TCS Miranda.

This version also corrects an old mistake, which listed "TCS Apache" instead of TCS Altair. The designations for the Altair and the Chinook have also been added (RD 102 and LKL8864, respectively).

I've added Frigate and Mine Layer to the Coventry-type's entry, reflecting its two weirdo appearances (as Paladin's frigate in the PC version and as a mine layer in the 3DO version of the Torgo mine-laying mission).

https://www.wcnews.com/loaf/newshipslist.doc

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandit LOAF said:
Here's a Ships List update that may shock you: AD divided the Wing Commander movie DVD's 5.1 audio track into individual segments and listened to the background chatter... and he's found *eight* new ships mentioned!: TCS Ally, TCS Avalon, TCS Barracuda, TCS Bradley, TCS Darwin, TCS Jean Louis, TCS Langston and TCS Miranda.

Wow. Never woulda thought about doing that (not that I have the capability currently). Were the references from the surround (i.e. left-rear/right-rear) channels?

Speradon said:
Were the references from the surround (i.e. left-rear/right-rear) channels?

They're scattered about. Some are rear-left, at least three are front-right.

LOAF: How did you decide that the Miranda, Darwin, and Jean Louis were concordia class supercruisers? All the other 5 are rightly listed as unknown. Those three are from the first scene in the movie onboard the Concordia. (although the Miranda is the only ship apearing in two separate scenes, the instance on the Concordia being second with the first being at Pegasus: "TCS Miranda, our [cargo's] on fire! Dropping back ninety four." Cargo is bracketed cause thats as close as I can make out that word.) The rest of the ships, except the Bradley wich is mentioned onboard the Tiger Claw, are from the pegasus scene. But I fail to see how we can possibly know the class of these ships other than guessing that they may be some of the ones we see docked at Pegasus, which wouldn't apply to the Darwin (more possibly a reasearch vessel considering it could be engaged in some kind of scanning for jump points ("negative findings for wormhole annomalies"). or the Jean Louis which don't apear in the Pegasus scene.

Interestingly the double mention of the Miranda suggests she escapes far enough away from the Pegasus battle to radio the concordia to which possibly the concordia replies with the line (heard on the concordia): "TCS Miranda, help is on the way."

Oh, And I came across one more in the middle concordia scene, the one where Tolwyn is told that two ships were lost at jump points and ones reactor melted down.

"TCS Concordia, this is TCS Vega (possibly Vegan). Completed system checks and... assigned coordinates."

Vega makes more sense. It'd actually be a little weird for there to be something like a TCS Enigma and not a TCS Vega out there somewhere.

The previous standard (from WC3 cutscenes) was that when ships are mentioned related to a specific sequence they should be whatever is actually in the FMV -- ie, making the Independance and the Hermes Victory-type light carriers.

My logic here was that since all the ships rendered in Tolwyn's fleet in the movie itself are Concordias, any ships mentioned would be too. Did I sort them properly?

Back