TCN or TCSN?

Highball

Spaceman
Just wondering which of the following is correct: Terran Confederation Navy, or Terran Confederation Space Navy? I am thinking of having a leather name patch for a bomber jacket printed, and I'd like to get the abbreviation right. I was thinking it'd look like this:

MAJOR TUCK DAVION
"GUNSLINGER" TCSN (or TCN)

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

From memory, I can only recall reference to a Terran Confederation Navy and a Terran Confederation Space Force. Not sure if there are references to a Space Navy in the more esoteric literature.

It does show up from time to time... In WC Academy we are literally in the Terran Confederation Space Naval Academy Simulator. Both are used in Star*Soldier.

I think it's up to your personal preference for the patch. Doesn't seem like either would be wrong.

Ah. I think I like TCN better. That's what it says on the main computer terminal in Wing Commander 2, right? :D

Also, would the "Major" be abbreviated (MAJ.), or spelled out?

Yeah, WC2 says Terran Confederation Navy. For rank abbreviations, anything goes. We see abbreviations and full spellings often used together in the same sources. A name on a patch would be somewhat uncommon. Uniform name strips even vary between last names and callsigns, so again go with what you think looks best.

Ah, forgot about the Academy simulator.

Yes, the log-in terminal for WC2 reads Terran Confederation Navy Personnel Database.

Just wondering which of the following is correct: Terran Confederation Navy, or Terran Confederation Space Navy? I am thinking of having a leather name patch for a bomber jacket printed, and I'd like to get the abbreviation right. I was thinking it'd look like this:

MAJOR TUCK DAVION
"GUNSLINGER" TCSN (or TCN)

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

Note however, that Major is NOT a rank used by TCN (or TCSN) - the confederation navy uses the royal/US navy ranks, not the army ranks

Thanks for that. I wonder, then, why the rank of Major and Lieutenant Colonel are used in WC1/SM. In WC2 and 3, you're a Colonel.

Thanks for that. I wonder, then, why the rank of Major and Lieutenant Colonel are used in WC1/SM. In WC2 and 3, you're a Colonel.

Basically, because Blair is a Space Force officer, not a naval one. Unlike in today's USA the fighter compliments on Carriers are Space Forces, not Navy. (an equivalent would be the US navy Carrier with USAF compliment)

I don't think it's ever said when it's one or the other, but there are TCN pilots as well as TCSF ones. For example, Jason "Bear" Bondarevski (Gettysburg mutiny series in WC2SO1, and in the Forstchen novels) was TCN, but still flew (and was even the WC of the Tarawa, in End Run).

And then, there's apparently a procedure for switching between SF and N, though again no details are available that I can recall. Blair went from his promotion to Brigadier General (TCSF) at the end of WC4 to Commodore (TCN) at some time before the start of Prophecy.

Really, a lot of what we would need to know to make a final statement on what to use, and when, simply isn't available.

Back