Target Tracking on Guns

Happy Camper

Spaceman
I bought one of those target tracking thingamagigs that weren't in the original. I accidently put it on the light missle mount on my demon and I can't seem to change the mount. Also, it doesn't seem possible to sell that piece of equipment. Finally, do you need a particular radar to enable atuo tracking becuse mine doesn't seem to work at all.

Please Help.

Okay, here goes.

1. You cannot change what mount you have an Autotracker on, nor can you sell the Autotracking Capability itself. You have to just live with it.

2. I've heard around here that the Autotracking system works better with radars that have ITTS, which would be the Iris MK3, Hunter AW Infinity, and B&S Omni, but I haven't confirmed this for myself.

3. In case you ask, the reason you can mount it on missile points is for unguided missiles like the Dumbfire and Proton Torpedoes, also the Tractor and Repulsor Beams (I think, haven't tried those.)

4. Again in case you ask, you need an autotracker on EACH GUN for all of them to track. So yeah, it'll be hella expensive. My suggestion would be to switch back to your Tarsus (if you still have it) and do a lot of contraband runs from pirate bases. Slaves have the highest selling margin. (They usually sell at around +110 creds over what you bought them at, Ultimate is next highest at +90 creds, Brilliance and Tobacco are about +40)

Solon Halwinder said:
3. In case you ask, the reason you can mount it on missile points is for unguided missiles like the Dumbfire and Proton Torpedoes, also the Tractor and Repulsor Beams (I think, haven't tried those.)
Yes, it works on the beams as well.

Then again, autotrackers are probably THE BEST investment ever. You don't even need anything better than lasers to be deadly with autotracking weapons.

They mess up the gameplay, but some fanboyish bastard put them in anyway... Hell, none of the military ships of that era(or later) have autotracking, why should civilians fly around with it?

Why should civilians fly Confed ships?
Why should AI-controlled ships be capable of the most complex manouvers the player's ship could only dream of?

If you think that autotrackers ruin the game, try counting the "Oxford 3" threads. Sure it's not fair, but so is the badass AI and the "surprise" swarming.

Dyret said:
They mess up the gameplay, but some fanboyish bastard put them in anyway... Hell, none of the military ships of that era(or later) have autotracking, why should civilians fly around with it?
I think you'll find that in WC3 and 4 basic target tracking was available on the excalibur and the other ship that could cloak in WC4

Not being to fimilar with the universe would there be any objections of seeing some newer ships being added so instead of taking place when the original privateer took place
it would take place a little latter? Or is this just me wanting to see more ships?

the WCU patch already has a lot of the newer ships in it...check that one out :)
and feel free to fix up the broken models...

Agruement pro autotracking

I see why some people think the autotracking thing is bullshit. The thing is if you don't have a joystick or a mouse and you are limited to the keyboard as i am the auto tracking thing is the only thing that keeps you alive. Your are just not fast enough to get, for example, a lot of talons with the keyboard without autotracking.
The smallest ship will rip you in parts.
I just stayed in Troy until i had enough money to by at least one of those things.
So pleased don't take them out in the following versions.

I think the problem is the Badass AI, as someone put it, and that you don't have the same freedom of movement they have. I remember that the original Privateer didn't have an issue with keyboard fighting. The AI sihps were slow anyway. But now they're not, so quick and precise control is a must, something that cannot be achieved with the keyboard.
If someone wanted a "propper remake", as the one they talk about in the thread with the same name, the AI should be downgraded a lot. I'm not for it. I would love the AI to be real badass. You just have to have the same abilities: map the thruster keys, allow disabling the inertial compensator without disabling thrusters too, and you'll be able to maneuver as the AI does (if you have the skills).
After all, why would you expect to be able to whack a Stilletto (or even a Galaxy) in your Tarsus? Get Real! I think difficulty levels should map to reality settings. In the easy mode, it's just as the original privateer, even with keyboard controls you can fight as an ace. In the medium setting, it's somewhere in-between, where fighting 5, 6 talons is a challenge, but possible. And in hardest, if you try your luck against a Stilletto in your Tarsus, you better have a savegame somewhere, since the odds would be 1000:1. Even a Talon vs. Tarsus encounter would be grim for the Tarsus (the Talon is a fighter, after all).
In that model, the autotracker would be an important part of it: in easy, you have the current autotracker. In medium, tracking cones are reduced, and in hardest, the tracking cone is very narrow, only to allow precision aiming at a distance, but the gross aiming is on your part.
I'm not sure if the AI should get autotracking or not. If the AI had autotracking, you would die almost immediately most of the time, unless you "spin and fly like a hummingbird", quoting sbdy, like the AI does to avoid the precisely aimed volleys. That would make dogfighting really dynamic, but big missions almost impossible. A 2 on 1 in those terms is death for the 1.

I do some good flying with the keyboard, and i'm sure other people do as well.

And WTF is this about badass AI. Ship do more ramming than shooting, and will often attack your demon with nothing but tractor beams. No sane, sentient, thinking human being would ever fly like that.... And when it comes to capship AI... Sad. I hate the stupid KeYbOardz suX excuse you guys are using. Privateer is *supposed* to be challenging. The bomber missions in secret ops are quite hard. I guess i should use ship edit and give the shrike 50000 cm of armor and 99999 torpedos, as well as 5 plasma guns.

@Dyret:

And WTF is this about badass AI. Ship do more ramming than shooting, and will often attack your demon with nothing but tractor beams.
Granted. The only badass thing they have right now is how they dodge bullets. However, in tactics, and almost any other aspect including weapon selection, they suck. But people were complaining about the badass dodging that the AI is performing right now, since it can do maneuvers that the player can't with the current interface.

And what I was saying was exactly what you like: I would like it to be a challenge, but not because the AI is too stupid to defend itself (like in Oxford3), or because I can't maneuver my ship as much as I would have because of lacking interface. I would like it to be callenging because the AI uses a good tactic and strategy, because I'm not skilled enough to take advantage of the interface yet, or because I simply lack the resources to accomplish my goal (need more firepower, manueverability, speed, whatever)

See, I don't doubt that you can do some good keyboardfighting if you have the numblock, we we notebookpilots don't. So i need two hands to steer (the left hand to roll) which means a can (more or less) roll and shoot, but i can never ever roll and use the afterburner. This is physically impossible.
I tried and edited the vegastricke file and put the roll left/right functions on the left/right keys, as you can do in planet-bound flightsimulators. But without gravity this sucks.
Perhaps one could do it this way: You have a key and as long you hold it the left/right key do roll, otherwise they steer normal. But I'm not skilled enough to program this.
Any help would be welcome.

It's already done. You have to set

modifier="ctrl"

and you're set. Then, that key will have to be pressed with ctrl.
So, if you have a key binding with ctrl and one without, you get what you wanted.

Thanks klauss, it worked fine. The problem is, if you do it this way you can't roll and pull up at the same time. the other keys like up- and downkey won't react. I guess its simply not possible to get all the handling you have with a joystick.

Other question: is there anybody using a keypad. does this work?

Bind the up/down keys with ctrl to the same command as the up/down keys without, and you'll be able to pull up/down without regard of the ctrl key.

Editing the autotracking zone down

Hi,

i wondered if it is possible to narrow the zone down in which the autotracker works.
As i remeber the ships which had autotracking, like the excalibur, theirs just worked in a very narrow field.
Is there an EASY way to do this?

Master Wooky said:
See, I don't doubt that you can do some good keyboardfighting if you have the numblock, we we notebookpilots don't.
Wooky, take 20€, drive up to the Gutenbergcenter (if it's still there) and buy a joystick, and a USB numpad. They're available in Germany since 1982.

Back