Tactical Advice Requested

Mjr. Whoopass

<FONT color=lightblue><B>I was going to say someth
I was wondering what the game engine requires for destroying capships. I just recently found out that the capship killer missile seems to only target subsystems such as engines and bridge. Does a capship explode simply when you destroy a certain number of subsystems? (2 perhaps? Does blowing up turrets contribute to this?)

Can you just shoot guns/launch dumbfires/other missiles at any general area and destroy a Snakier or Fralthi or do you have to launch special missiles? Can you destroy subsystems with guns only? If you choose to shoot at subsystems, does it take longer to destroy the ship itself than if you had been firing at a general non-descript area?

What does destroying the bridge section effectively do? Does it make turret fire inaccurate or have any other effects? Can I destroy a bridge or engines with guns only?

I would also like hearing anyone's strategy for blowing up capships.

You have to take down the bridge and all the engines. I don't think taking out the bridge does anything except make the ship blow up without engines.

You have to take down the bridge and all the engines. I don't think taking out the bridge does anything except make the ship blow up without engines.

Thanks, can I destroy these with just guns or do I need missiles? Also, shooting at general non-subsystem areas does nothing?

Any place that's best to attack these? From behind, in front, on top, the sides? Obviously for engines it would have to be behind, above, below, or to the sides.

[A different tactical question: do any of the ships in this game have the auto-slide capability?]

Thanks, can I destroy these with just guns or do I need missiles? Also, shooting at general non-subsystem areas does nothing?

Any place that's best to attack these? From behind, in front, on top, the sides? Obviously for engines it would have to be behind, above, below, or to the sides.

I'm not sure, I haven't killed any capships yet, just the ones from WCP. I'm assuming that they work the same way.

To destroy Destroyer size vessels and up it requires the use of torpedoes or a mace. You have to destroy all the components of any given capship to totally destroy it. Destroying turrets only does that, destroys turrets. It doesn't do anything towards the overall destruction of the ship.

Kamekhs and Dorkathi can be destroyed with guns and regular missiles.

Each ship has its own best angle of attack. I always attack Targu II's from head on because of the limited turret fire there. I usually try to find an angle that minimizes the torpedoes exposure to turret fire. Energy weapons being the best at shooting them down, but flak is close behind it only requires a few hits to take one down.

Nope, no autoslide in Standoff. No ITTS either depending on the ship.

As for capships, taking out Bridge(s) and Engine(s) is required, and only torpedoes will damage those. Most (all?) components will go down in one torpedo hit. Other subsystems (Hangars, etc.) can also only be destroyed by torpedoes, but are not required to destroy the capship, although this may serve some other purpose.

Keep in mind that you need a decent approach angle, since some ships have non-component parts (ie, the generic hull parts which can't be damaged) that can get in the way of your torpedo trajectory. You can usually spot where the vital components are, so it's not too hard to make sure you have a clear shot.

A direct hit from a Mace (that is, if it hits the component directly, instead of exploding mid-air close to the component) counts as a single torpedo hit. If you are really lucky, and you manage to get the mace to explode mid-air very close to multiple components, the Mace's big explosion may damage or destroy more than one of them.

Turrets can be destroyed with regular guns or missiles.

A direct hit from a Mace (that is, if it hits the component directly, instead of exploding mid-air close to the component) counts as a single torpedo hit. If you are really lucky, and you manage to get the mace to explode mid-air very close to multiple components, the Mace's big explosion may damage or destroy more than one of them.

That's a lot of luck involved in that. I've been practicing with the mace lately trying to improve my sim scores, so far I still need a lot of practice.

mace ?

I never quite understood what a mace missile was good for. What does it actually do ? What is it's specific use ?

Yea No Autoslide is a good thing I mean seriously. Who needs afterburners when you have the autoslide. There really should be a feature that's similar but only for like a short burst instead of engaging it and it be an endless slide. that always annoyed me

if you turn just after you stopped afterburning, you will slide for a while. actually, arrow is so fast that IIRC it slides even if you turn at full speed, without afterburning

I never quite understood what a mace missile was good for. What does it actually do ? What is it's specific use ?

It's a nuclear dumbfire with a large blast radius. It can be used for all kinds of things, but it's usually used to take down small capital ships or a formation of fighters.

In WC2, it tends to kill most capships in one hit (although a Fralthra will sometimes survive a blast from the Mace). It can also blow up/damage 2-4 fighters at once, but very good timing is required when setting it off.

In WC4, it seems to be utterly useless against caphips but it is extremely powerful against fighters. Getting the timing right isn't quite as hard as in WC2 once you get used to it, and a Mace can easily blow up 3-4 fighters at once (a Dragon can carry two Maces, an Avenger can carry four, and a Vindicator can carry from three to four, so it can be pretty useful indeed).

In Standoff, it can destroy 2-3 fighters at once if aimed correctly, and should instantly destroy any capship component it hits. The Standoff Mace is probably the least powerful version of the Mace.

In Standoff, it can destroy 2-3 fighters at once if aimed correctly, and should instantly destroy any capship component it hits. The Standoff Mace is probably the least powerful version of the Mace.

That's more a result of the Vision engine than the guys deciding they wanted to have a weaker mace. IIRC it took quite a bit of tweaking to get the mace where it is today in Standoff.

They had problems with both the flak and the Mace indeed. ;)

Anyway, I wasn't implying that they made a weak Mace on purpose, just stating my opinion.

WC2:
You can take down a Fralthra in a single shot, that, and any fighter cought in the blast radius will be destroyed or crippled.

WC4:
Face the enemy head-on, and fire the mace, and as soon as you see them open fire, break left or right, likely they'll hit the mace you launched, and if you avoid the blast.. Hear the screams and head back in for the leftovers.

I found it useless to use without a clear path ahead, a simple turret hitting the armed nuclear missile would not only limit it's damage, but there's a chance you could be cought in the blast yourself. It's no use in a dogfight once engaged.

But it's a limited tactic, just like dropping a mine, you can only perform the trick so many times before they see it coming in MP. :(

That's more a result of the Vision engine than the guys deciding they wanted to have a weaker mace. IIRC it took quite a bit of tweaking to get the mace where it is today in Standoff.
Hehe, we call it creative hacking :p

Post created on an iPod touch !

Back