Tabula Rasa and Ultima X

Yeah, blame terminal services!

And newegg is awesome. Just bought a new video car there :)

Anyway the article is not really very informative. If they did remove the respawning mobs, what did they put in their place, then?

I hope the game ends up being good, for sure. I'd love to see (and play) a new, successful Garriott game.

video cars are awesome.. those are the ones with dvd players in the backseats, right? *snicker*

Checking about online reviews I found some promising news for our Friend Mr. Garriott.

That's kind of an awful article. I don't see any news really. How in the world did they think Tabula Rasa was cancelled? News has been a little slow coming out about it lately, but it still has been in the news - the game's much publicized Beta just began last month. And the header information is incorrect. It's being developed by Destination and being published by NC Soft, not Red Company/Hudson Soft.

Hopping down a bit, their Ultima X update isn't much better. They actually spelled Odyssey wrong in the headline, and UXO has been cancelled for years. "News & Features Team" must be a pseudonym for "Brand New Intern."

Yeah, these are pretty strange choices for a game. The "research" involved in finding out what happened to Ultima X is putting the name into Google... the first result is the official site, complete with EA's formal press release announcing the cancellation.

I was personally hoping to see a few Wing Commander references in there. Seems like we should have gotten at least an honorable mention.

Firingsquad have posted some impressions from GDC:

Firingsuad said:
[...]
Another interesting element in the game is the save system. While you can just play a character and "level up" gaining experience and more skills as you go along the way you can also save your character at a certain point (the game calls it "cloning" in the context of the game) and then continue to play the game. However, let's say you aren't happy with how your character has turned out but you don't want to go all the way back and make a new one. No problem; you can go back to your save point and start over again and move on a different path. In theory this should cause players to replay Tabula Rasa in new and different ways.
[...]
It's apparently on schedule for a release later this fall.

Garriott was interviewed in The Guardian (UK broadsheet) nearly two weeks ago. I've attached some scans.

Cheers,

Bryn

Back