Survey

Actually, No Regret's answer isn't all that stupid. You have to consider that he's from Belgium. They have a long history of having their country flooded by hostile forces, and their own army being shot up and/or sent to POW camps. In his case, it would make sense to avoid the draft, and then serve in the resistance.

Earthworm: That's downright sneaky
smile.gif

TC: Yeah, but you don't go onto IRC to piss off the dolphin lovers
smile.gif
. At any rate, the TC at the top of your page clearly tells us that it's a joke
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow... the pissing off dolphin lovers thing could be a good idea... hmm

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Quarto said:
smile.gif
Whatever you say Quarto. But we all know why you travel all over the world, like to China recently.
smile.gif

Oh. Then I'd like to apologize to No Regret. Sorry, I had no idea, I thought it was some sort of fantasy.

------------------
The lily is my favorite.

Earthworm said:
Originally posted by Quarto:
smile.gif
Whatever you say Quarto. But we all know why you travel all over the world, like to China recently.
smile.gif

No wonder he knows so much about so many countries.
wink.gif

Origional Question:
"If your country was at war and you got drafted, would you go? Why or why not.

Give like one or two lines explanation please."

Well, due to recent posts, I'll assume that everyone can probably guess what I would do. However I'll say it anyways.

I would fight. If our country was at war, then it is time to stop and look at the big picture. War is a serious thing, and it is not easily declared. If the U.S. of A. went to war tomorow, then I wouldn't rush to the sing-up site, I'd learn what the war is about, look at the events that led to this terrible decision. If our reason was "We think you look like monkeys, you should all die," then no. It our reason was "You have killed innocent lives every chance you get, you occupy countries in a dictorial state and rule with tyranny," then yes.

If I went into the armed forces, I would try to fly.

Hey, I can dream too, right?

DeltaKiller

It's nothing Big G...uhm Gib Keeg.
smile.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Mad Hatter said:
I don`t think any country that goes to war ever sees itself as the "bad guy". There`s usually a lot of alienating of the other side prior to a war, and the only way to see it objectively is by not being a part of any of the sides. So basically, unless you`re an extremist pacifist, you usually see a war fought by your country as a "no other choise left" war, and thus usually join it without giving it too much thought.

I think anyone who missed this post and has answered Cricket`s survey, should know that wars don`t start for the fun of it.
Wars start when 2 opposing sides believe that the other side is threatening their country or way of life.
I can`t believe for a second that anyone of you will question your government`s decision to go to war if and when the time comes.

I'd sure as hell question a war... I'd be stupid not to. Throughout history people have gotten into wars, many of them for stupid reasons. By your reasoning during WWII people in Germany shouldn't have questioned going to war because it was obviously needed if it got that far.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Mad Hatter said:
Wars start when 2 opposing sides believe that the other side is threatening their country or way of life.
I can`t believe for a second that anyone of you will question your government`s decision to go to war if and when the time comes.
Wars also start for natural resources, and sh*t like that. Excuse my ignorance, but I won't risk my life for some petroleum. Wars can start because some stupid assholes get power crazy.... I'm prety sure that Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini and others like them didn't go war with most of Europe because they felt *threatend*.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited May 16, 2000).]

What were you doing in China Quarto?
Just living there, that's all. Of course, back then it (Macau) wasn't strictly speaking a part of China yet, but since nobody ever seems to know where or what Macau is, I've gotten used to saying that I lived in China
smile.gif

I'll question their decision about this, like about everything else. Governments are people, and people make mistakes. Just look at the way Clinton used Iraq and Kosovo to distract people from a certain Monica. How would you like to die because your president wanted to cover up having an affair, Mad Hatter?
"Dead because his president couldn't keep his pants on." - Has a ring to it, doesn't it?
smile.gif

TC said:
I'd sure as hell question a war... I'd be stupid not to. Throughout history people have gotten into wars, many of them for stupid reasons. By your reasoning during WWII people in Germany shouldn't have questioned going to war because it was obviously needed if it got that far.

TC

I`m not saying that people shouldn`t question a war. They should, but statistically they don`t, sadly enough. Right now, you`re talking about a hypothetical war, and it`s very easy to try and look at things objectively, but unless you`re a pacifist extremist, who`ll question any violent action, I predict that if and when the time comes, you won`t be seeing things so objectively.
It`s very easy to say: "If my country went to war, I`d try to find out what the war is about, I`d consider the pros and cons for going to war, and then I`d decide".
This is a stupid, or rather, a non realistic thing to say. By the time your country starts fighting, you`ll have been totally brainwashed by the media, and won`t even think about wheather the other side is right or wrong.
My country has fought 5 wars since it was founded, we`re surrounded by 4 islamic countries, who want to destroy us, we had no choise but fight these wars. However, did you know that 4 out of 5 of these wars were started by us? Nobody in my country thinks these wars were unnecessary.
Something to think about.

Hell... I question everything. I question anything I can think of to question (it really pisses people off) I'm sure as hell no pacifict extremist but I'm going to think about what I'm doing before I risk my life on it.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Uh... isn't it 3 out of 5, Mad Hatter? Or were you the ones who started in '48? Because I know you didn't start in '73...

But frankly, I'm surprised that you guys would consider the Suez Canal war to be necessary. That wasn't even Israel's war, really. You got talked into it by the Brits.

And yes, I acknowledge your point about things not being so objective when the time comes - but I don't think I'd fall so easily to propaganda. I spend way too much time on the internet, you see - so I generally have a more balanced view.

Nope, our Independence war was technically initiated by us, and BTW, those stories about how we were outnumbered and all is BS. We had only a few less soldiers than all 7 arab armies (although they did have better equipment).
Just shows you how manipulative and dogmatic history books can be.

Oh, and TC, good for you. I mean it, there aren`t that many of you around nowdays.

"Wars also start for natural resources, and sh*t like that."
This is very rare compared to half a century or more ago. Wars are much more political now. It's more about status, religeon, and diversionary concerns.

I lost track of how many countries we are in that we have no business being, if that is the case in which I would be asked to go, they'll have to hold me at gunpoint to bring me to serve as a political pawn.

Nope, our Independence war was technically initiated by us, and BTW, those stories about how we were outnumbered and all is BS. We had only a few less soldiers than all 7 arab armies (although they did have better equipment).
Hmm, interesting. One learns something new every day, if one knows how to listen
smile.gif

Just shows you how manipulative and dogmatic history books can be.
That's nothing new. History books are... well, written by humans. I wonder what the Arabs wrote about those wars. After all, one can only find out what happened by looking at both sides, and then creating a middle version
smile.gif

Back