Surprising moments

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Which of the story elements in WC did surprise you?
In my case ,e.g.: I knew almost Immediately that Jazz was the traitor in WC2 and Minx the traitor in SO2. It was also clear to me that Hawk/Dallas would die, although I always found it stupid how Hawk died (in both ways). That Angel would die in WC3 was obvious from the intro. (It would have been too stupid that Blair flies to Kilrah and rescuea his "princess")
I was surely surprised that Hobbes was the traitor in WC3 (always thought it was Cobra) and it took me long to realize that Tolwyn was the bad guy in WC4 (the first time, I chose "I owe him" ).Of course I was completely taken by surprise that Bossman would die in SM2, there was no indication.
These are just examples, I surely have forgotten some and you will add them.

I am looking forward to your answers.

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-09-2001 at 12:17]

When it was discovered that Hobbes was a traitor (WCIII) and that Cobra died because of her concern for what was going on, and no one would listen to her. She out of all of them, had first hand experience in the prison labor camps. I dont even want to think what went on there.

RFB

[Edited by RFBurns on 04-09-2001 at 12:24]

I'll add Shadow's death to the list. Particularly since this is the first wingman you actually /see/ die, where there's nothing you can do about it. (Bossman doesn't count, since just sorta goes out on patrol and doesn't come back.) The first time I played through WC2, it was a bit of a change, having a wingman blow up while flying with you and there's nothing you can do about it.

I thought Cobra was a traitor as well, as if the Kilrathi held something over her...

But then again that was done in a similar way with Jazz...

It did seem like she was holding something back, but I think it was the experience she went thru and didnt want to tell anyone. I doubt there was any secret agenda between Cobra and the Kilrathi. She seemed hell bent on killing every cat in her sights. Its just sad that she had to die the way she did before everyone took notice of her concerns. I suspected it was Hobbes when the Behemoth was destroyed. There was a scene where it shows someone in a Confed uniform, transmitting data to the Kilrathi, that shoulder shot, the shoulder looked kinda big for a human!

RFB

Originally posted by Subzero
I'll add Shadow's death to the list.(...)

Nah, that didn't surprise me. People telling that they only have a few days left until they retire usually die shortly after saying it. :D

And I did hate Cobra for her attacks on Hobbes. I always chose the conversation options that made her morale sink, juts to punish her for being cruel to my beloved Ralgha nar Hhallas. I did the samething with Flint, because I did not like her. <g>

[Edited by Mekt-Hakkikt on 04-09-2001 at 15:01]

Well, I don't know if I'd say anything surprised me, but when it was revealed that Tolwyn was leading the Black Lance, that was kinda... oh, I dunno... shocking a little bit, I guess.

Actually, I saw that revelation coming from a light-year away.

[Edited by Dralthi5 on 04-09-2001 at 16:49]

I had a few suspects in mind for the traitor in WC2...there was Hobbes (my prime suspect), Downtown, then Jazz and finally Tolwyn (he seemed to have it out for Blair, who showed nothing if not incredible bravery...at least, I did, considering how many times my wingmen "stuck out/blanked out/got no kills in a mission due to their crappy gunnery skills").

For WC3, I also thought it was Cobra. I did have one of those little worms, though...you know, the type of thought that keeps worming it's way back into your head, that Hobbes was it. I suspected it after they zoom in on him during Thrakath's "Heart of the Tiger" speech.

I chose "Revenge!". It hit me as a surprise that he betrayed us. I still beat the living fur out of his Thunderbolt (he kept using afterburners to manuver, so I just waited it out, then came in on an angle when he was out of fuel and unleashed my missiles on him...same way with Flash...)

I also chose "I owe him nothing." I hate Tolwyn (love those Dragons, though. I loaded those up with Maces and Starbursts, just for the novelty of experimental Dumbfire-type missiles)

I was surprised:

*...when Melek let Blair live at the end of WCIII

*...when I saw the Kilrathi again in WCIV

*...when Bossman died

*...when Goddard was destroyed despite I had succesfully accomplished all the previous missions... :)

*...when Halcyon shouted at me for engaging those three Fralthis in my Hornet (when the mission was just to "target them, but i did not speak very well English back then... :D)

*...to see Rapiers and an Exeter waiting for me at nav.4, and they were RED dots... (in that famous Gwenhyvar mission)

*...when I saw Tolwyn in board the Axius base in WCIV

*...that Maniac survived all those years

*...to see how bad a fighter the Epee is

I was NOT surprised:

*...when Maniac got creamed by Dekker in WCIV

*...that Blair saved humanity

*...to see Blair back in the cockpit in WCIV

*...to see Maniac as the same hotdog through the whole WC series

Originally posted by Dralthi5
Well, I don't know if I'd say anything surprised me, but when it was revealed that Tolwyn was leading the Black Lance, that was kinda... oh, I dunno... shocking a little bit, I guess.

Actually, I saw that revelation coming from a light-year away.

[Edited by Dralthi5 on 04-09-2001 at 16:49]

Was it just a feeling in your guts or what did you make see it coming?

Hobbes was a surprise. I, like evryone else figured Cobra. As for the WC2 traitor, I went with Jazz, no one else made sense.

Mpathy, just using your list because it is the easiest to edit, and it covers most everything else.

Originally posted by mpanty
I was surprised:

*...when Melek let Blair live at the end of WCIII

That one got me as well. I thought perhaps this would be how the series would end. You would win the war, but pay the price of the victory with your life. Which, for Blair, was probably a fair trade.

*...when I saw the Kilrathi again in WCIV

Nah, what's a WC game without at least some token Kilrathi presence. Oh, yeah, Priv2. :) Seriously, I always wished we would have seen more of some of the other races through the series. WHile the books suggested a number of other species existed, I guess the extar make-up costs or CGI work was too expensive to see some Firekkans, etc. I guess I would add that to my surpirse list, that you never served with a non-human other than Hobbes.

*...when Bossman died

Mild surprise. Other people had died, but his was the first where I could put a face with the name.

*...when Goddard was destroyed despite I had succesfully accomplished all the previous missions...
This was not a surprise because I had read the back of the SM1 box which gave it away. I was a bit suprised by the Behemoth going up. I new there was still a CD or so left, but I thought there would be a bunch of defend th behomth missions, which I was glad to see didn't happen. And if I would have thought about it more, the one man to save humanity aspect would have been lost if it had survived.

*...when Halcyon shouted at me for engaging those three Fralthis in my Hornet (when the mission was just to "target them, but i did not speak very well English back then...
Actually the first time thorugh I followed orders. Then, after saving, replayed the mission to Attack them Wasn't suprised by the yelling, I'd seen enough war movies involving disobeying orders, being a hotdog, etc., to expect that.

*...to see Rapiers and an Exeter waiting for me at nav.4, and they were RED dots... (in that famous Gwenhyvar mission)

Saw this one coming a mile away.

*...when I saw Tolwyn in board the Axius base in WCIV

This was a bit of a surprise. Less so, because I didn't really buy his story when Dekker caught him, though I let him go anyhow. I figured we had enough trouble as it was, and holding him hostage, since there was not a declared war, he couldn't be a POW, did not strike me as politcally savvy.

*...that Maniac survived all those years
I was surprised to see him in SO2. And after WCIII, I figured what's a WC game with Blairin it if you don't have the Maniac?

*...to see how bad a fighter the Epee is
You need to know how to fly it, to truly appreciate it :) Seriously, I love it, if I can stay out of range of enemies. With the long range of its guns and its speed it is a very good fighter. It does have problem when the fighting gets close.

Originally posted by Shane
Mpathy, just using your list because it is the easiest to edit, and it covers most everything else.
I appreciate the honour... :cool:

But my name is mpanty, not Mpathy or Empathy... ;)

Lets see..

Hobbes the traitor in WCIII, I knew from the second Thrakath mentioned traitor. None of the others even seemed remotly like they could have been it.

I was probably MOST suprised when I was forced to defect to the Border Worlds. Never in a million years did I think I would serve for anyone but Confed. Especially the first time playing it, during Eisens defection. I had no reason to betray Confed other than the Captain's word. I had not helped the guy who Seether was beating up in the the first scene, and I didn't try to sneak a peak at who came on the ship. To me, these Border Worlds guys were just pirates. I tried and tried to save the Lexington before I finally gave up. Of course, by then time you have to save the Lexington there is evidence of corruption. But hey, whaddya gonna do about one A$$hole....

Only one? How did you come up with that, there's Seether who pulls a knife on you at the begining, There's Paulson who talks of subhumans, and then there's all those people at the the bar who glare at you menacingly when you decide to go talk to the boarder worlder [Catscratch] who are mentioned as "Not exactly friendly" by both maniac and catscratch. Did I leave anything out?

[Edited by Dekkar on 04-09-2001 at 19:49]

Originally posted by Dekkar
Only one? How did you come up with that, there's Seether who pulls a knife on you at the begining, There's Paulson who talks of subhumans, and then there's all those people at the the bar who glare at you menacingly when you decide to go talk to the boarder worlder [Catscratch] who are mentioned as "Not exactly friendly" by both maniac and catscratch. Did I leave anything out?

The first time around Seether DIDN'T pull the knife on me because I didn't go over there to help out that guy. I beleive it was "Not my problem". I didn't really pay much attention to Paulsons subhumans thing, I simply thought he didn't like them. And I guess I somehow skipped over the talking to Catsratch thing the first time. The only time I talked to him was that first time when he was just coming on board.

So with that combination of cutscenes I got, I was genuinly suprised when Eisen ran off, then almost angry at him for attacking the Lexington later on. (Like I said, by then Seether was being quite the anus, but you can't say Confed is going to hell because of one bad apple)

Missing the catscratch thing isn't hard, when you first see the scene it's just sort of strange, I found with the entire conversation with Paulson he just seemed glaringly space nazi, after refering to them as subhuman he defends his point talking about how they don't come from "pure" stock and then there's the oversight of honour, I found if you stuck around Blair seemed pretty freaked out about the side he picked to be on by the time you get your second chance to defect.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
And I did hate Cobra for her attacks on Hobbes. I always chose the conversation options that made her morale sink, just to punish her for being cruel to my beloved Ralgha nar Hhallas.
Beloved? Are you trying to say something, Mekt? I liked Hobbes too, but I would'nt go that far. :)

Too, there was no need to hurt Cobra so much - when you have to choose between siding with Hobbes or Cobra, I always go with Cobra, since her morale is variable, while Hobbes is always faithful to your commands... well, until Ralgha returns. :(

I'm afraid that I missed out on the surprises - I either played the games too late, or already knew about the surprise.

I knew from my friend that Hobbes was the traitor in WC3, and Tolwyn was the traitor in WC4, since I knew I wouldn't be able to have a go at WC3/4 for a long, long time. I knew WCP was going to be Mark Hamill's last WC appearance, so his death/disappearance did not surprise me either.

Originally posted by Wedge009
Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
And I did hate Cobra for her attacks on Hobbes. I always chose the conversation options that made her morale sink, just to punish her for being cruel to my beloved Ralgha nar Hhallas.
Beloved? Are you trying to say something, Mekt? I liked Hobbes too, but I would'nt go that far. :)

Too, there was no need to hurt Cobra so much - when you have to choose between siding with Hobbes or Cobra, I always go with Cobra, since her morale is variable, while Hobbes is always faithful to your commands... well, until Ralgha returns. :(

I admire the Kilrathi and since WC2 I liked Ralgha because he was the only Kilrathi you got to interact with. And then some unknown Lieutenant comes and teases MY Colonel Hobbes for no reason. She really ticked me off, as well as Flint who was always trying to tell me how I should do MY job. That's why I kept them both at low morale. I never used them as wingwomen anyway and they were just so unlikeable.

Back