Surprised this hasn't come up...

For a genre that people say has no real market anymore, there sure are a LOT of pieces with people wondering why there aren't any more games made.

The question is whether or not these people are eager to buy whatever games come out or whether they're just making a huff because making a huff about things you actually don't give a rip about is cool on the Internet.

The question is whether or not these people are eager to buy whatever games come out or whether they're just making a huff because making a huff about things you actually don't give a rip about is cool on the Internet.

I'll grant that, but there's enough people complaining about it now that at least *some* of them must have an ACTUAL desire for these games.

Internet wanking is never a good measurement for the potential financial success of a project.

Can you say "Snakes on a Plane"? :p

I'd say it paid off for Cloverfield.

Production Budget (est): $25 million
Opening Weekend Gross: $40,058,229

:)

No, I obviously understand that the popularity of something on the internet is not a real indicator of desire for a product, but at the same time, there have been enough articles and commentary from people who aren't just rabid fanboys to make me think that there's at least *some* desire out there for these projects.

Cloverfield *wasn't* internet buzz, though -- its (unexpected) popularity was spawned by a clever theatrical teaser trailer (and then bolstered by positive reviews.) Heck, my parents both went to see it because of these things - and they're as far from the internet in crowd as you can get.

Now, lets ask the Senate Democrats how well internet hype worked out for them in Connecticut... :)

I also don't think that internet buzz is the good indicator of what people would buy, but we need to consider two things:
1 - it is some indicator after all and if 20 people on Internent says they will buy somethink I mean at least 5 of them mean it
2 - note that all gamers are actually more or less dwelling yhe internet, unlike I.E people who watch film or vote, so we might expect that net opinions about games are more accurate than about films or politicians

BTW I wonder where they got the Raptor picture used in the titlebar. looks really nice

I also don't think that internet buzz is the good indicator of what people would buy, but we need to consider two things:
1 - it is some indicator after all and if 20 people on Internent says they will buy somethink I mean at least 5 of them mean it
2 - note that all gamers are actually more or less dwelling yhe internet, unlike I.E people who watch film or vote, so we might expect that net opinions about games are more accurate than about films or politicians

If 20 people on a generic MyFacePlanet Internet site say they're buying something, what they really mean is they're downloading it from a bit torrent.

As for gamers, my friend and I, who both sink hundreds of dollars each year into games, nevermind hardware, never post to MyFacePlanet sites unless it's to cause a ruckus. Never, ever, do we brag about what we're buying. The Wii Crowd is full of people who are luddites to anything but a TV remote, and thus don't use the Internet for more than e-mail, if that. The PS1/2/3 owners I know have only used the Internet to try Final Fantasy Online, and have since sworn off both for life. The few XBox owners I know stick to hole-in-the-wall niche sites like the CIC, which the Internet generally derides.

On the flip side, the few people I've met who are hip with the Internet culture subscribed to WoW for the forum access and posting rights, but never played the game after the first week. They rarely do anything on their own dollar as being an authority on the Internet requires only that you have no idea what you're talking about, which makes for a cheap and easy lifestyle.

So, in a nutshell, the Internet MyFacePlanet culture is one that is full of pathological liars.

C'mon now, LOAF, I don't believe for a second you weren't aware of any of the internet buzz surrounding Cloverfield. That flick had a following before the trailer, and it's following after the trailer was sustained by an interesting ARG and very effective manipulation of Ain't it Cool News (shudder).

Another example, then, would be The Blair Witch Project.

I think what's being missed here is that these articles which are showing up aren't just the easily bashed "internet users." These are articles written by gaming journalists (as much as that line of work needs to be heavily matured), on websites that actually have to make money on the strength of their articles and drawing in readers with not only quality articles that they feel will represent the interests of the gaming public so as to draw in more of that public.

Cloverfield had an internet buzz -- like every single other movie ever. The actual ad campaign that impressed people was the 'mysterious' trailer, which had absolutely nothing to do with the internet.

The strong argument *against* space sims is the poor or niche sales of StarLancer, FreeSpace 2, FreeLancer, Tachyon, the X-series, JumpGate, etc. To counter that we need something stronger than that people on the internet being nostalgic.

All I'm saying is that it's a start. I'm fairly sure I never claimed that articles like this should sway anyone saying there was no call for these games- they don't. I'm just not entirely sure that dismissing articles that are at the least helping one's cause is entirely useful.

Call it an atmosphere thing, but I simply feel like there's been *more* of this lately. Maybe I've just been hanging around the CIC too much?

Boring? I have had the star field as my screen saver ever since it came out, I even pull out my StarTrek DVD just for the intro sequence of stars moving by and the music playing. So I really don't get why space is boring. But this is coming from someone that finds watching the disk defragmenter in windws 98 fascinating... the boxes moving about and the sound the HD makes.

simple pleasures folks, simple pleasures. :D

I think it'd be fun if someone here did interviews with fan projects, and wrote up some articles.

I think it'd be fun if someone here did interviews with fan projects, and wrote up some articles.

Yeah, would be cool if PC Gamer or some other mags did that with fan mades. Was sweet to Saga mentioned. EA must be taking notes with some of the fanfics/fanprogs to see what parts of the original game and story people kept and used. If they're smart anyways they would. They bounce ideas off LOAF and he's the apifony of a chackhead WC fan. There is hope. After all, like alot of people have noticed there has been a flight sim drought so when a good one does come out people who are hungry for it will buy it...hopefully. If it doesn't sell wel...I imagine we're in for another long drought as far as a "big" game is concerned.

We hope, we prey, we wait...

No, EA keeping track of fan works would not be smart. At the very least, with EA's lawyer-averse policy, by doing not tracking other than basic summaries, it's less possible to have someone claim their work was taken by EA (why some authors insist on not being told about fanfic, like f'rex David Weber).

And, besides, do you really want EA getting ideas from a genre that's no more immune to Sturgeon's Law than any other genre? :p

I do not buy many games any more because my favorites I own and have built a old time computer to do play them.

Wish I could find more good games but those are hard to come buy these days on the PC. I am playing that Star Trek Game that I got 2 years ago and that is actually fun and difficult at the same time.

No, EA keeping track of fan works would not be smart. At the very least, with EA's lawyer-averse policy, by doing not tracking other than basic summaries, it's less possible to have someone claim their work was taken by EA (why some authors insist on not being told about fanfic, like f'rex David Weber).

When I said EA should take ideas from fanfics and fan made programs I was more or less leaning twords what WC fans insisted on that are staples of a WC game such as....

Autopilot cutscenes, and more importantly autopilot. Something that every WC game with the eception of the "freak" WC games (Academy, Armada) had this and alot of people missed this when Prlogue was unable to pull it off at first.

The tried and true WC key bindings (though the ability to EDIT them would be cool too). A definate need for a joystick matters too. Tried playing flight sims on Xbox360 with the controller and it just sucks to high heaven....after playing flight sims for close to 20 years with a joystick. WC1-WC2 it's doable with a controller in a more or less 2D environnment (it's 3D). Maybe more practice is just needed however. Couldn't stand how Freelancer was mouse controlled but I got used to that. But after 100's of hours I'm sure anyone could learn to drive their car with a mouse.

The all important storyline where interacting with other pilots and charactors gives you more story and creats a "bond" with the characters so during a mission when they're calling for help your more apt to run to the recue or smile and hope they burn.

Video is imporatant wether it's CG or live action. CGI has come a long way and the options "help him out ect/ ain't my buisness" isn't really needed (WC1, WC2 WCP) shows that. The outcome of a mission can dictacte the storyline.

Graphics...god what hey could do with graphics today. Look at the improvments made on Prophecy with fan made mods. God!!! Play the game out of the box, then try the glide/vid mods and it's almost a whole new game (thank you HCI, Popcicle Pete and many others). Imagine a simple WC repack with modern or semi modern graphics to introduce new players to the game from the begining then new WC installments to keep the story line alive (my wet dream). Not saying that WC1 and it's followers are lacking and they are true classics. But they definatly need facelifts to entice some of the newer gamers that are used to the graphics they've been coming out with today. The benchmarks that WC made in the past were extrodanary but by todays standards.

The WC feel. The all importand story from start to finish that you saw in the cockpit or on the carrier where you got to know the people you flew with. One of the major failings of FS2 was that your wingmen were prett much expendible and if they lived or died it didn't realy matter. Another guy would just replace the last. The SOC missions were very enjoyable with LT Decocus (sp). I remember nearly $hitting myself as he sreamed "Dive dive dive! Hit your burners pilots!!!" Dropping the coffee and doing like the man said. He was as close to a "real" wingman as FS2 came to WC.
Maniac has never been touted as a good wingman but you couldnt do without him and the chance to fly on his wing (maniac missions) while Blair was stuck in a backwater system seemed very apealing to me since it well...would be cool to fly on Maniacs wing.
We all know Shotglass, Col Halcoon, Bondarsky, hell even a Tolwyn. So many important charactors in WC and so much history.

Im rambling...and the little one is into the DVD's again... Pick me apart if you must. I just want what anyone who loves Wing Commander does. A continuation of an epic storyline and game. A way to unwind after a long days work. Blair may be dead/MIA but like in life the story goes on and the fight for a better future is a never ending battle that never ends. If we stop fighting the good fight then we have truly giving up.

Sorry for the earlier typo; ment Crackhead not chackhead... Though that may be a typo too...and it was a complement. :D Good day to you all...I try to say alot and I know I missed alot, but I hope you understand what I mean.;)

Back