Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

Mav23

Swabbie
Banned
So I bought this yesterday and I must say it's a much better film than the original Superman II. It has a sort of "unpolished" feel thanks to some of the footage being from a screen test (still an excellent scene), and continuity errors thanks to frequent cutting, but it's still awesome. Most of the camp that I despised so much in Superman II is now gone. The only thing I hate about this version is the "new" ending, which kind of makes it impossible to fit in with the "S1, S2, SR" timeline. So I guess the original Superman II is still the "official" Superman II, however better a film this new cut may be.

Anyone else get ahold of this?

There was a thread about this over on the FSM boards and the person who originated it said it was terrible. I'm a little warry he wasn't just saying it to be "hip" though. Obviously, the edit is going to be unpolished and seemingly unfinished, given that Donner wasn't handed millions of dollars to finish the project - just enough to assemble it.

I'm waiting till I can afford the Superman Boxed set before watching this, though.

Go look it up on the internet, McGruff. Its all over the place.

Ok, just thought I might try to get away with being lazy for once.

So how do you take the camp out of Superman 2? Wasn't it mostly camp? Not that that's a bad thing - Hackman's campy Lex rocks.

I mean just flat out gag silly stuff (not all of it but a lot) like the Mt. Rushmore scene and stuff like that. Once you figure out the ending hopefully you'll understand why even though I think the movie is much better than the original version up until that point, it goes to complete waste and ends up making the original Superman II the better film, when put in light of the S1, S2, and SR connection it can't work.

And LeHah, you should really give this version a shot. I found it SO much more enjoyable than the original S2 (up until the ending).

The connection between 2 and SR is not really 100% solid, anyway. It's more of a guideline.

Yes but the Donner cut completely negates the connection, however "vague" it is.

Back