sun sprite still funky

JKeefe

Spaceman
1.0Pre5, no patches

sun2.jpg

This happens randomnly - some systems it's there, some the sun looks fine. The same system can look fine on one visit but look like the above the next.

completely bizzare... I've only had this happen with 4xFSAA never under any other circumstances (where ram is less constrained)

if you want to get rid of the sun sprite you can edit vegastrike.config and turn star_glow off

Well, I'm at 6xAA (temporal) and 16xAF. I assume whatever happens at 4xAA can also happen at 2x and 6x...

But I don't want to get rid of the sun sprite. :) It looks really cool when it's not a big square. Any idea why FSAA could cause this? It's just a sprite - it shouldn't be antialiased by the GPU because it's not the edge of a polygon.

the only reason I could see it happening is if you're out of texture memory...
but I never ever see this myself...been running for ages.

wanna send me a stderr.txt of what happens when one of these sun things happen

as soon as you see it quit immediately and send me stderr.txt and stdout.txt so I can make sure nothing funky's happening...
when I once saw this happening I traced through it and it was an nvidia driver issue...
however I'm open to new evidence

PS: does anyone *else* have this problem? or is it JKeefe only

Strange Sun sprite

I am having the same problem after the patch. Stange sun issues.

can you send your stderr.txt and stdout.txt when you have such a probleM (quit and send both files to privater *atsign gmail.com)
*atsign= @

what about before the patch--what vidcard have you? what drivers?

Sun Issue

Sure, I am at work now but I can send it tonight. You all have do some great work. I was trying to use dosbox to play privateer but it not the same as what you all have done and improved on. Thanks. I will try to help out. I can program in perl, C, and some C++, and labview (not very useful outside on industrial process controllers) :)

awesome...well the codebase is available here
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/vegastrike co vegastrike
a vis studio project is at
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/vegastrike co vega-vc7

you can dump in newly built binaries right into bin/ and it's good to go... and make patches/changes---and maybe debug that sun sprite thing...for now you can turn it off in the config file

Sun Sprite

Ok, I did not have this problem with 1.0Pre5. I applied the latest privR and then the sun went wierd. Should I have deleted anything after the patch? I have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 running driver version 6.6.9.3 I will check on upgrading the driver also. I did not see anything really odd in the stderr or stdout but hey it is my first time looking at those files.

Copy the original stars.txt in the /universe folder over the one which comes with PrivR.zip ...

Sky777

Lone Wolf said:
You'll lose some of the PrivR features. Try downloading the latest version.

What features, or are you only guessing? Latest PrivR doesn't even include vegastrike.config anymore after I reported it causing glitching here, so to me it seems like that only hardware related settings and keybindings etc. are kept in that file.

Vanilla Install 1.0pre5 no Sun Problems

This is very strange. I unintalled my mod'ed release 1.0pre5 and reinstalled. The sun problem is gone and the sun looks like it should. This is strange....

Back