Suggestions for Origin

I'm a huge Wing Commander: Privateer. Fan. I loved it. Unforunately I can't play it with Win 98. So I got Privateer 2. Ooops. What happened? The game has glitches all over the place. The guilds are gone. There's less guns, and the equipment isn't more; just different.
Personally, I prefered the old navigation system, and the ability to buy cargo ships and fly them yourselves: without worrying about some stupid AI pilot jumping with out you while you battled pirates.
Here's my suggestion: Give Everquest some competition. It doesn't have to be extremely pretty. Create some individual planets, 5-8 generic ones. Add the surviving Kilrathi, some pirates, and maybe the retroes for kicks; Make everyship in the game purchasable or flyable. (Let people join the military, pirates, etc.) Let people fly around, upgrade their stuff, form alliances as pirates, mercanaries, self apointed law men; whatever. Oh, and throw in the mercanary and merchants guild so people can make $$.
I think it would be especially fun if you could buy a cap ship - land planes on it; and have your friends sit in the turrets while you tried to blast your way down onto a rival gangs planet to deliver goods worth 100,000 credits.
Anyone agree with me?

That would be a wonderful idea. Too bad Origin decided to stop making WC games in any form. There is a chance of them changing their minds to make an online WC but that is unlikely. Even more unlikely is the return of a single player WC. BTW, Privateer 2 is a WC game in name only. It was a British game called the Darkening and when Origin/EA bought the rights for US distribution they added Priviteer to the title and added a retro. Otherwise it is the same as the British version.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

By the way, you're a troll, Sammy. Privateer 2 is a Wing Commander game period, regardless of what happened during development. Several Wing Commander veterans worked together with Warthog. Oh, and your comment about buying the rights for "US distribution" and a "British version" have no basis in reality. If you need to complain about every WC product you don't like, fine, but stick to the facts. The original poster did not request a piece of fan fiction.

Actually I though I had read that in a computer game magizine. That was why it didn't take place in WC space or have Kilrathi. I had read that the Manchester division of EA that made it added the retro ship as a last minute thing. If I was wrong, I apologize. As for not liking it, I really enjoyed the Darkening.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Rogue_LeaderX said:
I'm a huge Wing Commander: Privateer. Fan. I loved it. Unforunately I can't play it with Win 98. So I got Privateer 2. Ooops. What happened? The game has glitches all over the place. The guilds are gone. There's less guns, and the equipment isn't more; just different.
It's a Privateer game, but not a sequel to the first Privateer game. Privateer 2 is set in the late 28th century, in a distant corner of the universe. That's why the equipment and ships are different.
Here's my suggestion: Give Everquest some competition. Anyone agree with me?
Erm, is that what Ultima Online is for? Anyway, a Privateer Online was in the works for a while, but has been cancelled in favor of many more Ultima games, each one undoubtedly less original than the next. Nonetheless, it's not impossible that EA might one day decide to publish another WC game, when they feel there's a market for it. But you'll have to be patient...

Vondoom said:
Actually I though I had read that in a computer game magizine.
There's some 10% truth in what you said, but most of it is for the most part incorrect. The game was published as a Privateer game *everywhere*, and there was a lot of involvement from Wing Commander veterans. Just check the credits. Magazines are known to publish a lot of junk (PC Lamer, anyone?). I wouldn't trust the average article writer as far as I can throw him.

No problem, my mistake. Still peeved at EA/Origin for killing WC.

------------------

We're all upset over that, but, as Kris said, you have to be patient.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Man I wish there was multi-player over modem and internet for privateer.It would be cool talk to other players in the bars.Instead of AI ships have it be other players meeting each other in space.Have armadas and that type of stuff.And have someone you know over the internet be in your ships terrets keeping enimes off your tail.
But i agree with you, your idea is cool and I hope they do some multi-play someday on wc.

------------------
SEPHIROTH (ICEMAN)

[This message has been edited by SEPHIROTH (edited August 22, 2000).]

Hell yeah we have to start organizing online games on WC Armada from time to time

------------------
Here's to you guy's for doing your job, and for not getting dead (Mac from Speed)

I wasent talking about the game armada I was saying that it would be cool to get privateer play it over the internet and get your freinds together and great a armada like forve on privateer ageinst everyone else playing over the internet on privateer that is if they ever adde a damn multi-play option.

------------------
SEPHIROTH (ICEMAN)

Hmm, this is probably old news, but I loaded up Privateer 2 because of this discussion and got it to run in Win98 no problem. I don't remeber being able to do this before. Everything runs fine, am I just crazy 'cause even the readme says it won't work in win95???

------------------

Well, it did say Win95, it never said Win98.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah yes, Win98, the patching continues
smile.gif

------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here. But I have finsihed the game... part of it anyway. BTW how many possible Endings are there in Priv 2? The yarn I just did, finished with Ser Lev getting the Kindred top post.

I was aware of only one

------------------

Yeah me too I always get the one were he talks to this brother after landing on his brothers ship and ends up killing his brother and takeing that pendant then what cool movie were theres fires,sparks flying and debree falling everyware and he's walking back to his ship.
Then it shows his brothers ship blowing up and him going to his home planit.(wich I think is janus IV)

[This message has been edited by SEPHIROTH (edited August 24, 2000).]

Have multi-player co-operative and competitive WC games. I would have loved to have had 4 of my friends with me on the Kilrah bomb run to gang up on Thrakhath. Allow fully customizable fighters to be used in the new WC games. More weapons of various type like gravity generators, sensor jammers, . Let the multi-player mode allow one or more players to work one or more controls of the same fighter. That way if I'm in a broadsword piloting and shooting the forward guns, Jessie can be shooting the turret guns, Sally can be shooting the left guns, Aaron can use the right guns, and Melissa can use the aft guns. Make all fighters and ships salvageable.

Rogue Leader X, I like your ideas. Some hand to hand/firearm combat would be nice too during boarding ops.

Back