stuttering performance

baphomet_irl

Spaceman
Hi, first of all Id like to say that Standoof looks and feels great :)

however, there is one problem i cant seem to resolve which is stopping me from playing it for any great length of time - in the actual 3d engine, i have periodic stuttering (like every half a second or so) - im running the game in compatability mode for Win95 (with proper shortcut to 'standoff.exe'), and also when i turn off sound acceleration completely in Dxdiag it makes no difference :s - its very annoying because for some reason it doesnt happen in Prophecy.

My system is:

p4 3.2ghz
1024 RAM
nVidia 6800GT
Audigy 2 ZS

any help wud be very much appreciated as i realy do want to play the game, but the stuttering is just too annoying :(

Does SO have the same problem or is this Standoff specific? Try to play at 640x480, 16 bit, minimum asteroid rendering distance. Also check that you don't have Anti Aliasing or Anisotropic Filtering enabled in the nvidia control panel. See if the problem stays there.

Do any other programs have similar errors?

cff said:
Does SO have the same problem or is this Standoff specific? Try to play at 640x480, 16 bit, minimum asteroid rendering distance. Also check that you don't have Anti Aliasing or Anisotropic Filtering enabled in the nvidia control panel. See if the problem stays there.

Do any other programs have similar errors?

actually thats a good point - sorry i hadnt replayed SO yet, i only installed it really to check out Standoff, yes it does have the same problem thou :(

ill try turning off antialiasing etc., but surely its not a performance problem is it - its probably some compatability thing i havent done maybe?

i can run far cry at 1024x768 with pretty much everything on.

for a second i thought it might be the dreaded 'system idle process' that was making it stutter, but it wasnt...

haha when the stutter is combined with how 'easy' the missions are in Standoff, and how crap I am it equals dead baphomet_irl :p

baphomet_irl said:
actually thats a good point - sorry i hadnt replayed SO yet, i only installed it really to check out Standoff, yes it does have the same problem thou :(
So it happens in Secret Ops and Standoff, but not in Prophecy? That'd be pretty unusual... I can't think of anything that'd cause problems in SO but not in WCP.

You might wanna try removing both SO and Standoff, then reinstalling SO (without Standoff), and checking if the problem still persists (in SO). If it doesn't, then you should install Standoff and see if this makes the problem come back. This could give us some clue into it.

baphomet_irl said:
ill try turning off antialiasing etc., but surely its not a performance problem is it - its probably some compatability thing i havent done maybe?
Standoff can be more demanding than newer games (probably not more than Far Cry, though :p), because when Origin coded Prophecy's engine, there weren't any hardware T&L cards around.

Eder said:
So it happens in Secret Ops and Standoff, but not in Prophecy? That'd be pretty unusual... I can't think of anything that'd cause problems in SO but not in WCP.

You might wanna try removing both SO and Standoff, then reinstalling SO (without Standoff), and checking if the problem still persists (in SO). If it doesn't, then you should install Standoff and see if this makes the problem come back. This could give us some clue into it.

Standoff can be more demanding than newer games (probably not more than Far Cry, though :p), because when Origin coded Prophecy's engine, there weren't any hardware T&L cards around.

hi - no for some reason it was happening with prophecy itself again, so i checked my performance profile thingies in nVidia options, and my global settings for some reason was set to 2XQuincunx anti-aliasing (i swear i never actually set that (but then again i think the profile manager is a very messy interface, its a right pain to try and add a new profile). So i added a new profile for Prophecy and turned off AA altogether - and now it runs pretty much fine :). Now I have no excuse for getting blown to bits all the time :D.

Standoff really is a cool mod thou I must say, because while I always thought the engine for Prophecy was cool, in terms of storyline and especially the enemy ships, it never really appealed to me, shooting at a few pollen balls eheh :p

oh yeh i do have to say that after looking at the glidewrap im amazed, and i know that ppl from Standoff have said it wasnt main priority, which is fair enuff, but it really wud be ace to maybe even just make a small patch or something at some stage in the future, the fog is amazing, and non solid missile trails etc. are very nice.

PS yeh Far Cry really can be pretty demanding eheh - althou i have to say the most demanding thing ive played yet on my GPU is definitely the F.E.A.R. demo - its unbelievable - the bullet time effects are beautiful

Back