Strange Turret Alignment

Dragon1

Rear Admiral
I just downloaded the newest non-beta version of SCP (3.6.7) and noticed something right off. The barrels on ship turrets no longer point perpendicular to their base and now rest naturally! This is big news, because I have been told by many people in the Freespace community that this couldn't be done with existing limitations in the engine (or more that it wasn't feasable). Will this update to the SCP affect WC Saga? Will the turrets on capships sit normally after all?

SCP currently has mostly functional subobject animation code.. It can be used to set the initial aligninment and elevation of the multi-part turrets.. So it is up to the WCS team if they decide to use it, and if not.. it can atleast be added as a fan add-on very easily..

- Wanderer (from HLP)

AFAIK this corrected turret-code is buggy and the turrets react strange ingame (they don't rotate properly anymore). But that's just for the code implemented version.

There is another version of receiving this feature. You can enter submodel positions in the ships.tbl file to make the turret-arms point forward or to the contrary. I have already used that for all our models and it's working fine. Only in the techroom the turrets are still straight up, but that's just a minor incident IMO. :)

Starman©

Back