storyline...yep

i came across the privateer remake some weeks ago and there really is one thing that i may be just to dumb to understand. i try to follow the storyline but don't seem to be able to figure out how. first i played privateer on win98se 256mb ram and i don't know how ( and that explains why i joined this forum...*g*) i managed to develope concerning the "campain score" then (which is now*g*) i installed it under winxp 512mb ram on my laptop to be able to fight without getting shot into pieces just because of small ram while enemyships shooting at me and the screen is "stuck" but: i sencerely can't find the storyline to follow and achieve a better campain score than 0!!! the centurion is really a fine ship and i got it all unpdated and ready but if someone please could tell me how to follow the storyline... thank you in advance...

thanx for the hint!
...guess i gotta go back to a previous saved game to get me some autotracking in new detroit because after meeting the second time tayla it seems really hard not to be shot into pieces...campain score went up to 32 within two missions...

campaign -what now?? ..

i've finished all missions for the criminal mastermind from New Constantinopole (forgot his name), and after the last mission I was supposed to visit a guy who knows something about the artifact i'm holding , as i remember he should be in a secor with british name ( two of them i think, forgot the name because i didnt read his quote properitly ), but searched them and all bars are empty , how can i continue campaign ? , or have i just missunderstood him ?

I think you want the Palan system. It's one jump off of Tingerhoff. Land on the planet there, and there should be a scientist in a bar. Be warned, there are hunters blocking the planet! Get yourself a fast ship.

fyodor said:
Oxford, not Palan as AKAlmBatman suggested. That's later.

That's right. I forgot that you need to look up a few of the scientist's papers first.

/me bows to fyodor's superior memory.

going further

thx for info , i'm on the second mission in oxford
i've got 2 questions still
1. Is 4th oxford mission THAT MISSION ??, i mean this one with loads of daemons
and a second one , (a little off- topic) have anyone had problems with autotracking , i mean i worked properitly till now it just turned off , and it cannot be changed(yes i know the "k "key , doesn't work) , i know only a dramatic solution wich worked on radar who wasn't displaying the diamond if you know what i mean. I just sold it and bought it once again , but i don't know how to sell autotracking and have no cash for a re-buy. If anyone has a better idea please this is a place , playing without autotracking is a "little" harder

update
ok, tried the mission (3rd), now i know for sure :>
about the autotracking , turned on as suddenly as it went off , but the problem remains

On a related note: Should I play with autotracking? I don't want to get used to it if it's to be removed in the next release.

r2-d2 said:
1. Is 4th oxford mission THAT MISSION ??
No, that would be the 3rd Oxford mission.

update
ok, tried the mission (3rd), now i know for sure :>
;-)

Yeah, that mission is a b*tch, any way you slice it. Several threads exist on the topic, as you've no doubt noticed.

I'm just now starting the storyline... took my time to get used to the game again, and to get to the point where I can afford a fully kitted combat craft.

Recommended for Oxford 3: Demon or Centurion?

O3 and further

i've already wrote it on the other topic ,but here is some new info

This mission is not that hard , i've finished it at the second time (mediuum diff without wingmen), try not to use plasma because doesn't affect demons that aren't targetting u (because of low speed it's best to use head-on).Try 4 tracked tachyons and reducing your sheild to 1/3 to get more power. Also friend or foe are better than torps because you can easily kill a damaged escaping demon , wich is not so easy with protons(but can be done).
My set was centurion on full 4xautotracked tachs and 20 torps , rear plasma turret(wich didn't helped at all in this mission), and the best radar ,wich is fairly underestimated
But O3 is not a real b%#ch , the Palan 1st is one!! Mission is quite the same (loads of demons ), but they are targetting u!! , compare sheild and hull strenght of Drayman and centurion !! , the plus is you can run to palan and repair yourself a bit(blessed rear turret).Done this one but got kicked so much that my radar went off and its invisible in status report and upgrades screen ,also new one cannot be purchased .So i'll have to do it again :(

update
demon vs centurion - dont know , it depends on a style u want to fight
1 Rush on the enemies ,destroy two of them head-on (torps ,tachons or plasmas), phase two make some dodging maneuvrswo, shoot the rest of demons from greater distance , your sheilds should hold (best radar and rear plasma essential) -that will be centurion
2 Dodge all the time ,use concentrated fire of demon then dissengage,and start over -needs your agility and speed of afterburnd demon

r2-d2 said:
This mission is not that hard , i've finished it at the second time

*COUGH* *SPLUTTER*

(Ok, so I don't use Demon, auto-tracking etc, but still)

But O3 is not a real b%#ch , the Palan 1st is one!! Mission is quite the same (loads of demons ), but they are targetting u!!
Maybe we have completely different styles of play, but I found the Palan missions quite easy (difficulty level set to "hard"). The difficult part of Ox3 is not to kill the Demons (or avoid getting killed yourself), it's getting it done before the Drayman explodes.

The last exploration mission before getting the Steltek gun was *MUCH* harder than the Palan mission in question. There were just so many more ships (at least on hard). It was still a lot of fun (unlike the Ox3, which got very, very annoying after about the 5th time with no end in sight), because there were many strategies to try and there was progress. For example, the time I actually beat them, but had my jump drive *completely* destroyed. Or the time that I *almost* made in to the asteroid field for cover. Sigh. But still really fun, mixed in with exactly the right amount of frustration ;-).

Also friend or foe are better than torps because you can easily kill a damaged escaping demon , wich is not so easy with protons(but can be done).
I've spent all of those 2x10 Friend or Foe missiles without killing a single Demon (and I'm focussing on a single Demon, although the missiles will sometimes switch target). The problem is that 3 out of 4 times, the missile never hits its target. And even when it does, it takes more than 2 missiles to kill a Demon with no shields.

My set was centurion on full 4xautotracked tachs and 20 torps , rear plasma turret(wich didn't helped at all in this mission), and the best radar ,wich is fairly underestimated
What's the best radar? I don't feel there's a whole lot of difference between the best Eye and the best Hunter.

We probably have diffrent styles , i just play on "bersek mode" :) , wich is better in rescue\defend ,and worse when u r the target
About radar i meant the all 3 "high end " radars ok maybe best 2 (i ,the diffrence between them is only angle of autotracking. I was talking about the really cheap rad's some players use
About protons vs FF ,i tried to say that when you have tottaly "red" demon wich
is escaping ,sticking a FF (or two for sure)is nice because u save precious time, and may forget about the guy and switch to another target. By the way i rarely use FF's
because protons are exelent on short ranges and have duble capacity

I have a question Fyodor have you tried lowering sheilds to 1/3 in O3??
gives a lot of power, you can even sell the sheilds just for this mission

r2-d2 said:
I have a question Fyodor have you tried lowering sheilds to 1/3 in O3??
gives a lot of power, you can even sell the sheilds just for this mission
Yeah, I've tried that. Doesn't make too much of a difference IMO. It might make a bigger difference in the Demon, since it has a lower base speed and a higher afterburner speed (meaning it's more useful).

going further 2

O3 is a bitch ??
it's not , the 3rd ryganon is .
two reasons
1. About 15 cat fighters plus a capship
2. you have to fly 3 sys to get there (asteroids during journey)
Even maneuvring them into an asteroid field gives nothing. tried 3 times ,any ideas ??

r2-d2 said:
O3 is a bitch ??
two reasons
Even maneuvring them into an asteroid field gives nothing. tried 3 times ,any ideas ??

Get a Demon. Then run away, let your shields recharge, then swoop back into the fight releasing mountains of death upon their tight formation. (You can't help but hit something there.) Alternatively? Run away. I just ignored the Kamekh (Clawhammer) when I realized that it wasn't chasing me or trying to shoot at me. So I headed to the alien ship, picked up my gun, and got the hell back out of the system.

"He who cowers and runs away, lives to fight another day." ;-)

Thx , for advice but i love centurion and i'll try to do it with that ship (centurion outuns cats too, and there are asteroids to hide), but the main problem is to get there when you get killed , it's not O3 , wich can be done 50 times without getting bored by long and annaying flight

r2-d2 said:
O3 is a bitch ??
two reasons
It took me 3 or 4 tries as well (as opposed to > 10x that for Ox3!!!!), but this is how I did it (Centurion - no freakin' Demons or auto-tracking here!):

1) Meet them head on and fire off your 40 proton torpedoes. There are so many ships that you should be able to kill a handful.
2) Head for the nearest asteroid field. The trick here is to "Shelton slide" around and shoot at the Kats (also to present your strongest shield-side to the chasers).
3) It's pretty easy to lose them through the field, which enables you to make your run. You may not be able to "auto" around, but keeping them at 7-8k is enough.

FYI, this was on "hard" difficulity setting. (which is virtually identical to medium, as far as I can tell).

EDIT: Note that in step 1 I fired all 40 torpedoes on one run towards the mob. No flying around trying to hit anything in particular. Just spray the group with the torpedoes as if they were your guns.

Back