Stiletto and Morningstar

The ban list is actually amazingly small - six or seven people, most of which are gimmick accounts (WC SUCKS!, ChrisReidSucks, X-Ray, etc.)

I ban a lot of people, but I'm generally pretty good about forgiving them too.

It's pretty amazing that he's older than 14 or 15. UMass Dartmouth must have exceptionally low admission standards.

Well, at least this'll mean an end to all the senseless new posts, I hope.

Note to any would-be trollers - the admins CAN read your IP.

Everyone can see the IPs. That's why I paid to have all those "WARNING: YOUR COMPUTER IS BROADCASTING AN IP ADDRESS" popups set up all over the internet.

Seriously, yeah, that's a crazy shame - he seemed like a nice enthousiastic fan... he probably thought he was being cute or something... but trolling and double account ownership are two fairly permanent steps onto my bad side.

I was aware that I was broadcasting, but I just assumed(read: makes-an-ASS-out of-U-and-ME) that the board would default at keeping that data concealed from the unwashed masses...
It is a damn shame, though... he sparked some discussions i'd not seen in here. new blood was good for a while, but we ran out. (I think LOAF spilled it all) Ahh well, we'll get a fresh soul or two to torment... eventually.

You can fly the Stilleto in Standoff I believe.
Or in Priv with certain patch. Btw its interesting that in Priv it looks like it has 4 gun instead of 2 massdrivers. Sigh would have liked to fly this ship either in WC1 or WC2.

Pics as provided by Fleet Tactics (not the original models, but these guys are pretty faithful to the originals):

morningstar.JPG

stiletto.PNG

There are some similarities between the two - rip off of the center particle cannon from the Morningstar and you'd have the Stiletto's nose... and the engine configuration is remarkably similar as well. If FT is right (and I doubt Psych would just make this up), though, the two ships were produced by different companies. Somehow, I don't see Douglas Aerospace just handing over the blueprints of the 'Star to McCall at the drop of a hat. So, in the end, the two are probably not related. Similar, but not related.

On a completely unrelated note... who IS that green haired girl in the singing swabbie avatar?

SpaceDrake said:
(and I doubt Psych would just make this up)
As a matter of fact, that's precisely the kind of thing Psych would make up :p. For a lot of WC fighters, there's simply no data about the manufacturer. So, fan projects (and Fleet Tactics is a fan project, albeit a somewhat different one) make up what they think makes the most sense.

About the Stiletto and Morningstar... I don't think the similarities mean anything. I mean, really - if you remove the central particle cannon from the Morningstar, you'll have the Stiletto's nose? Maybe so, but what you'll actually have is a generic jetfighter nose. Not much difference between the Stiletto's nose and what you might see on a modern F-16 or F-15. And beyond the nose, the two ships are completely different. The differences between their general configurations are not all that big compared to other WC fighters, but that's only because other WC fighters can be very strange looking beasts, while these two are both somewhat similar to modern jetfighters. However, at the end of the day, their similarities are about as meaningful as those between the F-16 and F-18. Yes, if you compare the F-16 and F-18 with the F4F Wildcat, you might conclude that they're similar and maybe even made by the same people... but if you only compare them against each other, you will quickly begin to notice that there are very significant differences between them.

If FT is right (and I doubt Psych would just make this up), though, the two ships were produced by different companies. Somehow, I don't see Douglas Aerospace just handing over the blueprints of the 'Star to McCall at the drop of a hat.

Sorry, Psych made that up. :) The easiest way to know is to remember that "Douglas Aerospace" and "McCall Industries" were created for WC3 in 1994... so it's unlikely that ship designs from previous games would ever have been 'attributed' to those designers.

(That aside, there's long been speculation that there's some sort of coordination between Douglas and McCall - since the WC3 Warbirds poster lists the manufacturer of the Thunderbolt as McCall, but the WC4 Guide lists its designer as Douglas.)

I really don't see as many similarities as most people seem to (and I've made those two models down there :p). Lemme come up with a quick list.

Pointy nose (but as Q noted, this is similar to most modern fighter jets), number of winglets - excluding the main wing's wingtips - (although all are different in scale, shape, inclination, and/or position), rounded tube-like engines (although in different number and placement), two rounded intakes (which connect to the wings and body differently)

All in all, the engine and gun configuration is radically different, and all the winglets *and* the main wings are also slightly different.

i think you just described exactly why they are similar.

most the WC vehicles don't have canards and fins all over.
Some have body-structure that resembles them, but none have dedicated aerodynamic wing structures as these two do.

also, even thought he engines differ in number and placement, they match in implementation. They are both cropped-blister shaped formations on top/bottom of a percievable flat surface [viewed above and below].

-scheherazade

SpaceDrake said:
If FT is right (and I doubt Psych would just make this up), though, the two ships were produced by different companies. Somehow, I don't see Douglas Aerospace just handing over the blueprints of the 'Star to McCall at the drop of a hat. So, in the end, the two are probably not related. Similar, but not related.

From the disclaimer linked to on the front page:

Psych said:
And last, while I tried to make my project as close to WC as possible, it will be arrogant to say that my stuff is canon. By estimates, the entire page is about 90% canon and 10% made up "liberties". It doesn't matter how much work I put into this to make it an appealing WC experience, the fact still remains that I am just a WC fan and I am not from Origin. In other words, please do not take my work as official canon undebatable information. You are free to read and cherish all you like, but don't rely on it when you discuss it. By this request, I would prefer that you do not make any future arguments about WC and cite information from my website as "canon" to fuel your arguments. And if any newbie tries to argue on any internet forum "yer wrong LOAF, my (insert lame argument here) is right because Fleet Tactics has specifically said that..(insert generic content)...", I do not claim responsibility for any accusations that imply that I was the influence to your assclownery.

Thank you for hearing me out, you can proceed back to the page when you close this popup.

psych

Fleet Tactics webmaster

Well, the f-14 and the f-15 are kinda similar too.

Anyway, I think we find the stiletto and the 'star similiar because few WC ships look like contemporaneous fighters.

scheherazade said:
i think you just described exactly why they are similar.
[...]
That may be what people see, but I'm just saying it's too broad a description for me.

Back