Steltek - need some infos

Chris Mungo

Spaceman
So i've read lot of threads in this forum, but i've a few questions:

- are the steltek vanished? or, and so i've understand the threads about the steltek, did they live ( in the core of the galaxy)?

- have anyone (ingame) screenshots of the steltek?

- know source of (serious ) informations?

- any other important information?

- any good links to answer my questions?

you could also send my the info to my Emailaccount.

cfh@everymail.net

- are the steltek vanished? or, and so i've understand the threads about the steltek, did they live ( in the core of the galaxy)?

Yes, the Steltek gave up their vast empire and moved to the center of the galaxy to pursue a more simple existence. They still monitor our space to make sure we aren't influenced by any of their remaining technology.

- have anyone (ingame) screenshots of the steltek?

I don't have any on me at the moment. They only appear briefly in a green-on-green VDU screen in Privateer... they look sort of like large animal cells.

- know source of (serious ) informations?

The Steltek are only referenced in any serious depth in Privateer, Rightous Fire and the Prophecy ICIS manual. If you're familiar with those three sources, you should be okay.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Yes, the Steltek gave up their vast empire and moved to the center of the galaxy to pursue a more simple existence. They still monitor our space to make sure we aren't influenced by any of their remaining technology.

At least that is what they say. Specifically, what that Steltek guy said. Who knows if he's telling the truth?

Alas, are the bug-masters and the steltek aware of each other? Do they have relations? Would future WC games have a "giants in the playground" type of plot?

Originally posted by Delance
At least that is what they say. Specifically, what that Steltek guy said. Who knows if he's telling the truth?

That's what the Steltek confirms about Professor Monkhouse's research into the Steltek.

Alas, are the bug-masters and the steltek aware of each other? Do they have relations? Would future WC games have a "giants in the playground" type of plot?

It would be reasonable for the Steltek to know about most every race that's done big stuff in the Milky Way.

well, they could only have that if a race more powerful than the bugs came around. remember, we can kick the shit outta the bugs all day, but confed couldn't do a damn thing against the steltek drone. so it's reasonable to assume that the steltek would have absolutely no problems with the bugs.

Originally posted by ChrisReid
That's what the Steltek confirms about Professor Monkhouse's research into the Steltek.

Based on artefacts planted... erm.. casually left behind by the Steltek. :)

It would be reasonable for the Steltek to know about most every race that's done big stuff in the Milky Way.

I agree. The answer to the origin of the bugs might lead to knowing more about the Steltek.

Originally posted by Aries
well, they could only have that if a race more powerful than the bugs came around. remember, we can kick the shit outta the bugs all day, but confed couldn't do a damn thing against the steltek drone. so it's reasonable to assume that the steltek would have absolutely no problems with the bugs.

That's more of a plot-necessity. If the bugs had undefeatable tech, WCP wouldn't be much of a game.

Thank 4 helps

But i need a little bit more infos ( of course, i didn't play priv to the end ):

I've read at another source, that they've a sensory organ for the 5th dimension. They've also the ability, to communicate telepathy.
They were discrebed as green to brown colored, insectlike alien with 9 tencacles and 3 mouthes.

and a last request: please. if anybody have the screenshot: send it by email ( cfh@everymail.net ) to me.

PS: a pic of the firekkan were also n1

Originally posted by Chris Mungo
Thank 4 helps

But i need a little bit more infos ( of course, i didn't play priv to the end ):

I've read at another source, that they've a sensory organ for the 5th dimension. They've also the ability, to communicate telepathy.
They were discrebed as green to brown colored, insectlike alien with 9 tencacles and 3 mouthes.

and a last request: please. if anybody have the screenshot: send it by email ( cfh@everymail.net ) to me.

PS: a pic of the firekkan were also n1

What source is this? We honestly don't know very much about the Steltek, except that they might have the ability to create jump points (Privateer has Steltek showing up out of nowhere).

And we don't even know if what we saw on the screen's really how they look, or if it's another disguise.

While I haven't read any of it, from what I've heard the Aces fiction deals a lot more with the Steltek. So, that might be Chris Mungo's source. There's definitely nothing like that in canon sources, however.

Hey Haesslich, it seem that you're a german guy ... right? In this case, would you give me you're Email-addy or UIN?

I believe Haes is Canadrian. I believe the username is a reference to a dragon.

There's nothing like that in any canon source -- it sounds like something out of one of NeoDevilBane's fanfic stories.

No, no, no. You can't just randomly decide to assume that without any indication a fictional character is lying. Unless it's contradicting something else, you can't decide "Oh, he's probably lying, so we don't know what's going on."

That's pretty much the plot of every awful fanfic ever. It kind of ruins the spirit of the Steltek, though -- the idea that they've evolved beyond the need for warfare and such gets ruined when you decide to make them into the next enemy-of-the-week.

No, no, no. You can't just randomly decide to assume that without any indication a fictional character is lying. Unless it's contradicting something else, you can't decide "Oh, he's probably lying, so we don't know what's going on."
To be fair, Monkhouse just presents you with theories (the peaceful disappearance theory and the civil war theory), so it wouldn't be a matter of him lying. But of course, whether they moved to the galactic core as a consequence of a peaceful decision or because of a civil war, the end result is the same.

'Hässlich' ist a german word. The translation to english is 'ugly'. Ì heard that german namens often use for villians, e.g. Zahnarzt ( a demon in Warhammer ). Am I right?

Nah, I didn't say he's probably lying, just that we don't really know that much. It's like, while we have solid info on the Kilrathi, we only have second hand information on the Mantu. Besides, who really tells the absolute and whole truth to an inferior alien they just want to help them clean up a mess? It's like when confed arrived in Rostov:

Mopok: "Ugh."
Confed: "Hello. We, good. Kilrathi, bad. Let's go eat"
Mopok: "Ugh"

That's pretty much the plot of every awful fanfic ever. It kind of ruins the spirit of the Steltek, though -- the idea that they've evolved beyond the need for warfare and such gets ruined when you decide to make them into the next enemy-of-the-week.

No, it was not that at all. I was thinking more in the lines of the Steltek sending some help (technological, if anything) so the other ancient bad-ass aliens don't go aronud killing everyone.

Now, the concept of "evolved beyond the need for warfare" is really silly. The whole WCIV thing was about how 90% of manking (evidence: senate vote) did evolved beyond the need for warfare. But if some evil alien starting get medieval with your rear engiones, you really have little option.

Besides, who really tells the absolute and whole truth to an inferior alien they just want to help them clean up a mess? It's like when confed arrived in Rostov:

Mopok: "Ugh."
Confed: "Hello. We, good. Kilrathi, bad. Let's go eat"
Mopok: "Ugh"

well, from your little story there, i'd say confed does :D

I think more to the point as to whether or not the Steltek Scout tells you the truth in Privateer is his motivation for doing so.

Firstly, what do the the Stelteks have to gain from "accidentally" leaving behind a derelict outpost which just "happens" to contain a supergun, only to have this guarded by a drone intent upon killing any discoverer of Steltek technology. If they did indeed leave the outpost, weapon, and drone in this situation, what would be the purpose? Was the purpose of leaving the drone to distract us from just such a possibility? If that is so, I personally wouldn't have left a guardian so lethal and invulnerable.

Secondly, to the Scout who agrees to power up your gun. What does he have to gain by telling you this story? Admitedly something. He initially hopes to retrieve the both the gun and the location of the derelict outpost. When you, the Privateer, are forthcoming with neither of these things, yes, there would be a motivation to convince you. The easiest course of action being to explain your situation. If your situation is one that would induce sympathy, then you tell the truth; otherwise, you lie.

That being said, as technologically advanced as the Steltek are, I am sure they could have devised... persuasive enough methods, to convince even a "Pirate Hat wearing" privateer to concede to their demands.

Anyway, the only real cause the Steltek have to lie is if their racial characteristics contain a bent towards compulsive lying. I somehow doubt this is the case, as such a race would, in my opinion, struggle to achive galactic prominance.

Back