Steltek Appearance

Wojo

Rear Admiral
Was there ever any description of Steltek physical attributes in any documentation anywhere? All we have to go on is the VDU images from privateer.

Branching from this, what do you think they might have looked like? How did you imagine them looking when you encountered them in Privateer?

When I first saw them on the VDU, I thought they looked insectoid, like the Nephilim in Prophecy. In fact, I initially wondered if the invaders weren't Steltek when playing that game. However, the Steltek were not that violent, otherwise Grayson Burrows would have been dissected in a ship somewhere in unknown space.

My daughter has a different take on the Steltek from watching me play Privateer, however:"Daddy, it looks like Elmo!" :p

Was there ever any description of Steltek physical attributes in any documentation anywhere? All we have to go on is the VDU images from privateer.

I always got a "single celled organism" feel from the VDU images.

There are some renders of a Steltek 'space suit' (I guess) in the WC3D pack that's floating around--they would have been used in the scene cut from the end of the game.

My memory might be hazy, but I seem to recall a plant-like aspect to the VDU animation. At least, that's just my interpretation of it.

I always interpreted it as some sort of logo or something rather than the actual alien. They're probably 'energy'-lifeforms, though. They always are.

There are some renders of a Steltek 'space suit' (I guess) in the WC3D pack that's floating around--they would have been used in the scene cut from the end of the game.

Are there any pics of it anywhere?

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is no Steltek droid. There is only the fighter, the drone, and the interceptor. All three ships, are in the WC3D archive. "stdroid1" & "stdroid2" are just an asteroid 3ds file. There is also the security drone that was used in Righteous Fire but that was terren originated, and also NOT Steltek. Unless I'm missing a file name for this said steltek suit. I would love to see what it looks like.

I do not recall the filename, but it's the thing that looks kind of like a gas mask. If you organize everything by date it'll show up around the same time as the other Privateer props.

Here's the Steltek VDU:
steltek.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to do some concept art for no reason. Thought I would just get some kind of group consensus that there is definitely no canon description of them.

I've been kicking around this idea for a while, but like most things I get sidetracked and do other projects instead. Wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to sleep? I would get so much stuff done!

Stay tuned...

Steltek Physiology discussion from 2005

Woof, what a silly, silly thread.

I was all set to admit that yougner LOAF was an idiot to not to put more stock in one reference the crazy Privateer Remake dude made to Burrows calling the Scout a 'bug'... but then I went back and checked and he calls it *bub*. Even from beyond the grave these people are morons.

(Seriously, it's painful watching the people in that thread ignore the fact that that sketch IS NOT OF A STELTEK over and over...)

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what they looked like? Or, rather, what would you LIKE them to looks like were they to appear in a game or something?

Just getting ideas for a sketch-o-rama.

I read some fanfic about 'walking membranes' but that doesn't float my boat.

Honestly, the first time I got a look at the Scrin in Command and Conquer 3, I though “Yeay! The Steltek!”, but then again, their units had more of a “Nephilim” feel to them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1VfzdbqpAw&playnext=1&list=PLD102B945759A6A50

I suppose the Steltek picture looks a little like the Gravmind from Halo 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zku2tIoSbfs

Little shop of horrors indeed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLO7IxKwruc

There was a series of Wing Commander fanfic stories (of varying quality) centered around the Steltek becoming the big-bads threatening the galaxy.

From what little I was able to gather, they were described as follows:

They have “bulbous bodies” with “membranous tendrils” which trail behind them.
There’s a description of a mass of intertwining plant-like biomechanical feeds that run into every pore of their body, though this is probably a life-support system.

It also mentioned that movement of their head tendrils is a type of body language, such as the twirling of head tendrils was a sign of submission and respect.

They apparently have ocular nerves which can connect directly with ship to see what the ship’s sensors see, and retinas which “shimmer brightly” in the dark, and can apparently become “age-clouded” in elder beings. Its also mentions them using Infrared Heat Spectrum representations in lieu of VDUs, suggesting that they probably see into the infrared range. This is also supported by the fact that their typical habitats are described as being dark and mist-laden

Again, this is all fanfic info, so take it with a shaker of salt or two. :p

There was a series of Wing Commander fanfic stories (of varying quality) centered around the Steltek becoming the big-bads threatening the galaxy.

Groan! This kind of thing misses the one interesting thing about the Steltek--that they moved beyond warfare and chose to leave the galaxy. They specifically say in Privateer that they're only there to prevent other races from using their old technology and "bringing upon themselves the ruin we wrought." Making them into evil invading aliens for no reason other than that they had a neat weapon 2.4 billion years ago is just poor.

For what little there is of them, I got the impression they were partially melded with the ship. Like a slug in a shell.

Back