Starting.....

Dark Tower

Rear Admiral
Just a quick mention of the project I'm starting. In other words heres what it's going to incluede:

-As big as battle as possible using the vision engine this battle will be bigger than the battle for terra hopefuly.

-Blair nuff said.

-Clocking but mostly for cutscences thanks Quarto

-More races than you can shake a stick at.

-Off-line movies and fiction. With trademark bad acting.(small joke. I hope);-)

-Anything eles you post here.

So post please.

ps this is a fan based sequal which is unoffical and will contain as mainy sane and sensable ideas as the community presents.

Remember as not what the comunity can do for you but what you can do for the commmunity.

I share your oppinion, WC is not looking to hot regarding the future, so every fan project started is one to please the community. But, could you be a bit more detailed, a short story hint or something?

How are you going to do this? Once you get more details straight, you should organize something for us to post at the CIC and put in the Fan Projects section.

Ok.
The first part of the campaign revolves around the virus as there doesn't seam to be a cure yet. It was that or the bugs invade again which doesn't feel right for where I'm going.

Second Quarto the help with the stelth issue was what I was thanking ps thanks to everyone else but Quarto gave the cutscene surgestion also the clock stuff means I can put a jumping effect for fighters like wc2. ;)

Third the movies would be done on the halflife engine I think plus there would be the ingame engine movies (ala so)

Fourth my plan is to complete the plot (nearly done) than check it as much as possible for problems as well as do some core missions to test somethings and just get some plot relavent missions done.

I think that answers everyone.

However one question needs to be answered and that is (I've asked before but..) I need proof that Hobbies is dead. I like that cat and it's the only way to have the kilrathi issue be played out a bit more. IMO it wasn't explored enough.

Ok were clear.

Opps...

I forgot one detail.
The project codename is wing commandr:Revalations. (did I misspell that???) Till something better comes or everyone says they love it.

So let me get this straight

This project is going to jump between half-life and Prophecy, prophecy has a very limited number of coders most of whom are commited (yes due to Unknown Enemy but other projects too). Its going to move on from prophecy there by interfering with origins plotline should they ever choose to continue.
From experience you've got to be very careful thinking about all aspects of a fan project, ultimatley what caused the collapse of the original UE was not listening when told something would take too much time to be feasable. If there is one bit of advice I can give its to look to see who you can get to help with your project, also it might be a good idea to get peoples ideas/ opinions before beggining the plot.

There thats all the advice I can give before I fall collapse

Oh, that cloaking stuff... all I did was make a suggestion to KW.

Dark Tower, have you thought this through at all? Or are you under the (false) impression that if you declare a fan project, it will somehow miraculously get finished all by itself? Because what you're trying to do is just about impossible.

Quarto isn't that what I just said, except less subtle?

If only fan projects did finish themselves, that would be so nice :)

First the reson for this thread is to collect ideas for the plot however just incase I've already got the general plot figured out however it my change due to posted ideas. The main plot was actualy just finished and it has a few plot twists that noone will see coming.

Second it would not swap between engines I would record scenes from the halflife engine and then convert to a avi or mpeg or something. However the plot and missions come first the rest is window dressing.

Third once I get a site up I might change format if everyone wants something stright a way and construct something similar to the way SO and UE did or planed to do in the sence of installments and then guage the response. Also I reconise that the coders are busy so I'm going to try and wing it as much as possible but thanks to Q and KW posts about clock the coding problems I can forsee are already dealt with.

Fourth I know fan projects take time or do they take time.

Fith I have thought this thru but I want to make sure I would annoy the community or break conversion to much.

Wait... you mean, you actually think that cloaking is the only coding problem you might encounter? :)

Firstly however impressive half life may be it is not upto the standards neccessary for 3d rendering in FMV. Also there aren't the programmers to pull this off. My suggestion would be to concentrate your efforts with another project. If you have half-life knowlege I'm sure TAFKAW will be willing to change his engine again ;)
Seriously though, if there is something you really want to convey until a few projects are completed you'd be better off putting all these ideas into the fan fiction section. The novels are an important part of the Wing Commander universe too.

Greetings to all Pilots on the list. The handle's Roach, so you can imagine how disappointed I was when I flew with Stilleto. ;-) *LOL* Since we're on the topic of edits and fan projects, I did some tinkering with WCPEdit and came up with some pretty nasty gun sets for the fighters, using off the shelf, non-cheese setups. No plasma cannons on Piranhas here! What I have come up with however, is guaranteed to let you play chicken with Mantas and kill them before you cross paths. Interested, let me know.

*Just another pleeb* =p

Thanks for the spell check SW it should realy help ;)
Does anyone know about the status of the FS to WC conversion as news about has dried up a bit. Just a mention if there still alive would be great.
Oh yhea I've changed at the moment to a fan stroy but it may change again.

It will not die.

/knock at the door
/gets up and answers
/Hello I'm form EA and I've heard about you project
/prepair to die.
/quickly kicks goon and leggs it.

There out to get us.

Back