Starlancer

It's like most modern games(well in most terms): Top notch graphics(for its time), good gameplay, but the story ranges from beyond ridiculous to nearly non existant.

Starlancer rocked!

I still install it and enjoy every minute, even though I've played it a dozen times.

Plus the fact you can import new ships into the game is really fun, allows for complete mods pretty much (just need to figure out how to add capital ships).

Just to fill everyone in,

FL IS the 800 year sequel to SL. FL is set after the war, the Alliance lost, because of some amazing weapon the Coalitions had, 4 sleeper ships were sent to a distant system to save the Alliances people. These war Japanese, American, German and English, Thus the new main places in FL, that is the sequel part.

SL single player is crap, Multi player is much better, sept the co-op no one plays exept n00bs, myself? I am part of the 101st Wolf Pack, who basically own SL lol and we host Lancersreactor, plus DM is 20 x harder than any SP mission or co-op game.

Just thought I'd fill you in.

I'm pretty sure plans for "two other" StarLancer games never got further than "Hey, what if we made two other StarLancer games?".

I would hope it would come out one day, but I think the idea of another SL game would be implamented in FL, so mabye there will be another Lancer game soon :rolleyes:

[WP]Shadow said:
Just to fill everyone in,

FL IS the 800 year sequel to SL. FL is set after the war, the Alliance lost, because of some amazing weapon the Coalitions had, 4 sleeper ships were sent to a distant system to save the Alliances people. These war Japanese, American, German and English, Thus the new main places in FL, that is the sequel part.

There were 5 ships. You forgot the Spanish sleeper ship.

And the way I heard it FL was less of a sequel and more of Privateer to WC game. Meaning they would be 2 separate series based on the same game universe. So there were supposed to be actual sequels to Starlancer and sequels to Freelancer.

[Yeah it would be cool to fly off the Tiger's Claw in Starlancer] -TopGun

I reckon, a full TC with all the WC1 greats!

Never played Starlancer so I cannot comment on it, but have you guys played the extremely linear Tachyon: The Fringe?
Picked it up cheap and quite like it, just wondered what you guys think?

Poulton said:
Never played Starlancer so I cannot comment on it, but have you guys played the extremely linear Tachyon: The Fringe?
Picked it up cheap and quite like it, just wondered what you guys think?

Tachyon is fun; very nice depiction of massive, massive starbases, and lots of nice little touches. Doesn't quite grab hold like Wing Commander, but definitely worth getting and playing. Bruce Campbell's voiceovers are terrific. :)

-The Gneech :cool:

The_Gneech said:
Bruce Campbell's voiceovers are terrific. :)

Yeah, the game is pretty good on its own, but his voice makes the dull parts enjoyable too.

The final battles are pretty good too. Lots of ships flying everywhere. Can't beat that.

I quite liked Tachyon. Given the lack of any cutscenes it still menages to be very immersing IMHO. As you said one of the few downsides is the extreme linearity (albeit one has to say that the first time you play it you think it isn't linear - they covered it up rater well).
PvP Multiplayer is probably the most clever one ever seen as well. Just that the factions aren't too well balanced IMHO.

Actually, I think Tachyon had plenty of enjoyable, explanitory cutscenes, for just about every leves. FMVs, however, are another matter.

Just an aside, I *love* things like the StarLancer demo where it adds a little patch of new story. With the exception of the Privateer 2 demo, Wing Commander has always been great about doing that sort of thing (especially Prophecy).

The only problem with the game is you can only play it once before it becomes really boring, it is not as much fun to go back to as Wing Commander

Well you can always try and better how you did the game before. For Example, try and complete the game with all Mission Bonuses

Just not much fun when you keep getting whipped and barely survive, especially against the pirates in the twilight region.

Back