Finished the co-op campaign within a week my old gaming buddie, ran the patches on vanilla windows 10 installations with opposite hardware(AMD(270X in crossfire) on AMD 8-core in 1440p vs Nvidia(970) on Intel 6-core in 4K), ran the game on medium difficulty, had to replay 4 missions multiple times.
We connected using with my server as a host.
- He(my buddy) had 1 crash(The VPN server was on my side), in the entire campaign, likely due to to connection loss.
- While voice commchannels were functional(A first time for me to ever have it in action on the PC), we abondened it as it was unstable(audio quality, I also found the game to halt while playing on LAN, whereas on playing and hosting on internet within the game resulted in the game not pausing anymore, and the gameplay being more robust). and used discord to talk to eachother.
Things I still want to fix:
- The positional audio for A3D/EAX on non-creative labs hardware(I have both functional on Creative labs hardware in my second rig on Windows 7!). I am using RSX positional audio now.
Things that need attention, and I can not fix on my own, My profession is sysadmin, I make things stable and working, I'm not one to look up a products boundaries and pimp the hell out of them.:
- I managed to force the drawing routines of DirectX5 to work on modern cards, and AFAIK the game's light drawing look as good or better then ever imagened back in the day, and it holds up in 4K now. But the manual starfield, especially the "vomit"-one could be fixed if the texture had been replaced with something in a higher resolution. It's probably a matter of replacing something(or placing something in the extracted directories the game has!)
- The textures on the capships, don't know the limit, do know SLedit is gone.
- I'm aware that the source movies still exist, and how they'll look in hi-res:
. If there was some way to get these running in the game(and getting my hands on the rest of them).
If someone here had any ideas of enhancing it further, or just wants to join me on my wing, feel free to contact me. If someone has info on what would be the limitations and the do's and don't of writing an automated patch for alle the issues with the game, please advise me. I'd be more then willing to give all my findings and stuff to Good Old Games, so they can handle the legal stuff and there would be more people to fly with.
Since Squadron 42 is still not out, and will not feature a full co-op campaign AFAIK.. This game DID. While the game does offer some different mision settings in MP(example, being drawn through the wormhole).
Ofcourse CR could just give permission to remaster and upgrade the game to current standard, not likely unfortunately
I'll put up some unedited gameplay footage in 1080p soon.