Starlancer loading issues

Silver_Fox

Rear Admiral
Howdy folks,

I've had a hankering for some starlancer action since downloading the go.com releases of WC, and I stumbled across it on amazon for the princely sum of £15. I've followed instructions by FanieT elsewhere on these forums on how to make it work except I have a wee problem. When I run the batch file the mods will work for lancer.icd but the lines for lancer.exe give an error message, "IMAGECFG: unable to map and load lancer.exe". I've done this for a clean install on a Win7 32 bit home premium machine running a core 2 duo E7200, 2GB RAM, NVidia GEForce 8600GT graphics. Can anyone lend a hand?

ressurected....run compatible for win 98 or win xp sp2. you can run it at 1360X1024 by modifying the starlancer.ini IYDK... just an info bit for an intersting game

The direct3d version used limits the game to 1280x1024(and even that you have to manually edit into the config file).
If you switch to software rendering you can pretty much run any resolution you want, but the ships will not look as nice... The nebula effect is also gone, AFAIK it used a feature abandoned by direct3D(and most graphic cards) long ago.

I run it in Windows 7 64-bits, have the update patch for version 1.01 and it runs flawlessly. Now if only the cockpit graphics could be updated a little, since it really was a great space sim back in the day, and the multiplayer experience with the connections of today would be infinately better.

The direct3d version used limits the game to 1280x1024(and even that you have to manually edit into the config file).
If you switch to software rendering you can pretty much run any resolution you want, but the ships will not look as nice... The nebula effect is also gone, AFAIK it used a feature abandoned by direct3D(and most graphic cards) long ago.

I run it in Windows 7 64-bits, have the update patch for version 1.01 and it runs flawlessly. Now if only the cockpit graphics could be updated a little, since it really was a great space sim back in the day, and the multiplayer experience with the connections of today would be infinately better.
If you want to continue to easily find multiplayer for Starlancer and a host of other old games (like old MSN Gaming Zone games too) try using Gameranger. I keep forgetting to download it myself. Would be awesome to fly some co-op again. I still play many of these titles:

http://www.gameranger.com/games/

If you want to continue to easily find multiplayer for Starlancer and a host of other old games (like old MSN Gaming Zone games too) try using Gameranger. I keep forgetting to download it myself. Would be awesome to fly some co-op again. I still play many of these titles:

http://www.gameranger.com/games/

I have a gameranger account and tried to host a game there together with a buddy, but no-one came, and there was some strange lag and we lost connection a few times.
Same problem as Wing Commander Arena; there is simply no-one around to play with.

This was circumvented by me setting up a VPN host on my own network so we could all connect to it. I also use it to play the ubisoft combat sims where they dropped the multiplayer servers using the LAN play capabilities...

This was my experience as well. For the most part I sit in #wingnut letting folks know I'm always up for co-op. Drop in sometime and maybe we can set a match up, either through GR or your VPN.

Fine with me.. mind you, my VPN is always running, and the IP will remain until I switch providers....

You, and others can send me a request in a PM for a login certificate, and you can connect whenever you want. I have recources to spare so i can keep a virtual dedicated server running for you guys. Keep in mind that I'm in the Netherlands, running this at home and my connection is currently limited to VDSL+ with 60 mbit down, 8 up(KPN network). If someone from the USA or Canada connects, it will be trial and error with latency...

The server runs Softether's VPN solution.. connecting through standard Windows VPN works, but openVPN has some issues. Please use Softether's VPN client, that always works.

And if anyone tries to hack from VPN into my home network, please be a sport and expose the leak to me so I can patch it? It's just up and running for fun and games...

Back