Stargate Resistance (My unqualified review)

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
I just picked this up last night, 2/10/10, on Direct 2 Drive for $19.99 and I've kind of enjoyed it, despite the fact that my computer is barely able to run it and I suck in online battles. Like I said, I'm unqualified.:D

For those unfamiliar; Stargate Resistance was made, by Firesky, with the Unreal engine, unsure as to which one, utiliziing assets made for the still in development Stargate Worlds MMO, coming from Cheyenne Mountain. Being based on the Unreal engine it plays a lot like Unreal Tournament, in fact it could almost be viewed as a TC.

Some people have claimed that Stargate Resistance was simply released as a money machine to help support the development of Stargate Worlds. I can kind of see that. There appears to only be three actual maps, but that's what I've run across, and three game modes. Now, if it truly is meant to generate cash for Worlds then I hope a lot of people buy it so that SW actually gets completed, because it would be a much larger and better experience. Of course if Firesky gets some new maps and scenarios available for download it would help to kill that point of view, and besides there isn't any sort of subscription fee that I've run into.

There are three classes, on each side, to choose from. I had the most fun with the SGC soldier and the Jaffa. The P90, which the soldier carries, doesn't do as much damage per shot as the the Jaffa's staff weapon but he does get to use a grenade launcher whereas the Jaffa's grenades are stunners and have to be thrown. If there's an Ashrak(assassin type) in play, and the player knows how to use it, it quickly unbalances the whole game, but then again the groups I've been playing with weren't operating as a tactical whole.

Still for twenty bucks I've had quite a good time. I mean you can't even get into an amusement park for twenty bucks, these days, and even if I could I don't think I would have nearly as much fun having my ass handed to me, in a fight, as I have had here.

So anyone elese playing?

Back