StarCraft Remastered announced

Stinger

Vice Admiral
Trailer
Mike Morhaime's announcement
Official site

Blizzard Entertainment announced StarCraft: Remastered yesterday at the I <3 StarCraft event in Seoul, South Korea -- which means I finally get to share what I've been working on with my fellow wingnuts! Working on this project has been an absolute blast, and I'm delighted by the reception we've had so far. Games like StarCraft (and of course Wing Commander) are the reason I became a software developer in the first place, and I've always wanted to be able to contribute back to these classic games, to preserve them in their best form and make sure they're not forgotten. Working at Blizzard, I get to do that in an official capacity, and I couldn't be happier.

For details about the game, I'll refer you to Pete Stilwell's interviews here and here.

En Taro Adun!

That's fantastic! Congratulations!

If only another giant publisher were so good about remembering their legacy. :)
Have you seen Klavs' thread and the crazy rush he is having right now? It feels like we have enough stuff to remaster Wing Commander II to IV now. :-P

That's fantastic! Congratulations!

If only another giant publisher were so good about remembering their legacy. :)

Hey, any time you want to convince your contacts over there to commission a remastering project let me know. Beats trying to do just one title as the only programmer, unpaid in my free 20mins a day.

Actually it's not just Wing Commander - I'd love to see this applied to other properties that EA holds the rights to now like Command and Conquer, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate etc. It will look like small change to EA but I can't imagine any one of those failing to make a profit if remastered in a similar fashion to Starcraft.

As for StarCraft I'm super excited. I lost so many hours to the original StarCraft both online and in singleplayer. The sequel satisfied me in terms of online but I was never quite as taken with the story telling as the original title.
The style of remake is interesting, upscaling the original rather than opting to switch to the engine of the sequel, I imagine it didn't require a huge investment but looks to make a world of difference.

Actually it's not just Wing Commander - I'd love to see this applied to other properties that EA holds the rights to now like Command and Conquer, Theme Park, Dungeon Keeper, Syndicate etc. It will look like small change to EA but I can't imagine any one of those failing to make a profit if remastered in a similar fashion to Starcraft.
Regarding C&C, the closest to a remaster of the original look currently available would be either "Dawn of the Tiberium Age" or "OpenRA".
However, if you're interested in reliving "Tiberian Dawn" (the first C&C) in glorious 3D, I highly recommend the "Generals - Zero Hour" total conversion "Tiberian Dawn Redux".
(I used to be a beta tester on that one) :)

Hey, any time you want to convince your contacts over there to commission a remastering project let me know. Beats trying to do just one title as the only programmer, unpaid in my free 20mins a day.
If I could get Blizzard to pay for remasters of non-Blizzard properties, wcdx would be a lot further along...

As for StarCraft I'm super excited.
Thanks! We've all been putting a ton of work into it over the last few months in particular (and that certainly won't stop with the release), so it's great to see other people excited about it.

The style of remake is interesting, upscaling the original rather than opting to switch to the engine of the sequel, I imagine it didn't require a huge investment but looks to make a world of difference.
Hence the term "remaster" instead of "remake". We're operating from the same original source code (any reports you may have seen about us losing the source are mistaken; there was some confusion over this point even within the game team, at least among non-engineers), but with more modern underpinnings and new features where we felt they made sense. It was (and is) very important to us that the game remain StarCraft and not some other game. One of the most important tests of this is that replays from 1.16 continue to work. Since replays function by re-running the game simulation with recorded input, any change that breaks replays is inherently a gameplay change (and therefore forbidden). It's really neat to be able to watch old professional match replays using the new observer system and HD assets.

Reactions: AD
If I could get Blizzard to pay for remasters of non-Blizzard properties, wcdx would be a lot further along...

Pretty sure that particular comment was directed at LOAF, but anyway, I really like the direction you're taking this remaster. There's time when old games were simply broken, but sometimes some things are just quirks and it can be frustrating when people doing remakes assume they know the intentions of the original programmers and make decisions that completely alter the feel of the original gameplay.

AD is correct - I was addressing LOAF as if anyone could ever push such a project forward (and I don't really think anyone ever can or will) it's him.
That said I think it's amazing - Starcraft is almost as much a part of my gaming past as Wing Commander.

I'm really looking forward to playing it - thanks for the hard all the work!

Last edited:
Yes, but I've also spent this week three hours out of my normal time zone. I'm currently in Toronto for the ISO C++ meeting.

Regarding C&C, the closest to a remaster of the original look currently available would be either "Dawn of the Tiberium Age" or "OpenRA".
However, if you're interested in reliving "Tiberian Dawn" (the first C&C) in glorious 3D, I highly recommend the "Generals - Zero Hour" total conversion "Tiberian Dawn Redux".
(I used to be a beta tester on that one) :)

Have you checked out reconquest on Steam yet? The moment you start a match instantly reminds you of playing C&C.

It is an indie game though and is definitely not perfect - no multiplayer mode either :(

Did you guys drop the zoom out function at the last minute? I can zoom in but can't get the battlecruisers perspective advertised.

Back