Starcraft 2

Yay! Blizzard is the best (active) PC games maker, IMHO. I wonder what sort of system requirements they will have for that game... Hope my PIII-600 has them all.

That *bomb* is going off in 4:30 hours. :D

So they are releasing the info for STAR CRAFT 2 when the counter dies? How can this kick ass info be true!? KWEL!

Blizzard is announcing their next game when the timer hits zero. If we knew what game they were going to announce, they wouldn't need to announce it. All companies reserve numerous domains and link them back to their primary. They might announce Starcraft 2, or they might announce something completely new. We'll see soon.

Go to the main Blizzard page - they announced the new product there. It's called StarCraft: Ghost, and it looks like it has more in common with Tomb Raider than with the original StarCraft.

Well, if they offered a PC version, I'd buy it the moment it was out. I mean, even if it's not StarCraft 2, it looks like it might be interesting (hey, it's a Blizzard game ;)). As it is... well, I'm not sure if I feel like buying a console just for this game :p.

Yeah, it looks a lot better than C&C Renegade. Seems more of a driven stealth action FPS like Spliter Cell or Metroid Prime instead of a Quake-style shooter, which is more of what I'm into.

Parts of it will probably involve stealth, but the FAQ mentions that parts of it will have your character out in the middle of battlefields calling in tank strikes, battlecruiser strikes, and even nuclear strikes in order to help your side win. So it'll be a mix of both.
Personally, I'm surprised that it won't be available on the PC. The PC has been their main release platform for the last several years, and if they're making an X-Box version (which I imagine they are - they don't specify which consoles the game is going to be on, but it sounds like more than two) they'd already have half the work done for a PC release.
*grumble*
Of course, I'd also rather see an FPS version - perhaps something that was a cross between the game options of C&C Renegade (build a Starcraft base in MP mode? *grin*), the mission style of Deus Ex (multiple ways to finish missions, including stealth), and the Starcraft background.

Oh, well.

They said the style just lends itself better to a console. Blizzard did seem to be primarily console oriented in the early 90's and their original Diablo/Starcraft/Warcraft games were ported over to the console. The fact that they were announcing this at the TGS indicated from the start they'd probably be launching a console project, or else I'd have expected them to announce this at something like E3. Blizzard also said they plan to eventually return to Starcraft on PC at a later time.

These days any style lends itself better to a console.

Somehow "Gone Gold" has come to mean "80% done and probably not more than 20 fatal bugs." Just enjoy console gaming and dread the day they find an easy way to patch games on that platform.

If there was one company who was most responsible for preventing that it's Blizzard, but it's been pretty nasty lately. Battlefield needs some patches to be decent. I'm surprised EA didn't find a way to introduce new bugs into Sims Deluxe.

Diablo II still has problems. :)

Things have been like this for some time... Remember Myth 2? The game shipped with a rather interesting bug. Running the uninstall would wipe your entire hard drive. It's because of this attitude that consoles, though technically the inferior platform, are replacing PC gaming.

Is that serious? I can't believe such a thing - if people did wipe their drives while uninstalling Myth 2, could they get compensation for it?

Also, remind me the reason why companies put bugs in their programs? It seems deliberate sometimes...

That really happened. They had a patch soon after word got out, but one formatted hard drive is one too many. Reviewers didn't really take it into account when assigning a score, because "they got a patch out quickly."

I hadn't heard about that with Myth 2.
I DID hear about that with the recent Pools of Radiance game, which was particularly annoying because Pools of Radiance also installed itself to the default directory no matter where you said you wanted it installed.
So yes, stuff does get out like that.
Blizzard, fortunately, does a pretty good job of making certain that stuff comes out working pretty much like its supposed to, even though its undoubtedly tied in to the fact that everyone expects Blizzard products to ship AT LEAST a year after Blizzard says they will.

I'd still love to see an FPS with something similar to Renegade's C&C mode, though.

*grumble*

Back