Starcraft 2

Pedro

Admiral
http://www.blizzard.com/

My top 3 games are:
Wing Commander IV
Shenmue 2
Starcraft

So you can imagine just how excited I am. Loving the art style. Honestly I was really worried we were going to be getting another MMORPG, I'm soooo happy this is not the case; how happy I am that its finally a sequel to Starcraft I can verbalise.

So who else is excited?

Too easy.

Somehow I imagined you'd reply. And if you want to find fault with the announcement go ahead. Honestly I'll never understand such startlingly strong reactions to criticism of anything, let alone a game, it's incredibly tiring. If arena were perfect, it'd be the first perfect game in history.

It's a seriously good sign though, granted Blizzard can at this point afford to make whatever game they feel like. But the fact remains that it is almost a decade since the original Starcraft, and many people (myself included) had begun to think that a sequel might never be coming, especially with the cash cow that is WoW. It's a promising trend indeed. Command and Conquer, Starcraft, spiritual sequel to Total Annihilation, even the return of obscure franchises such as Nights. Obviously the continued success of revived franchises such as Prince of Persia, at a time when the popularity of the 3d platformer is not particularly high its damned promising too.

I was making fun of you, not commenting on StarCraft 2. I'm not a StarCraft fan, but I'm glad people who are will get a new game.

I was making fun of you, not commenting on StarCraft 2. I'm not a StarCraft fan, but I'm glad people who are will get a new game.

Very friendly.

Moving swiftly back to the topic, which is (just incase anyone forgot, couldn't blame them):

starcraft2.jpg

So a decade later the art style has adapted to accommodate, how does everyone like it? There's not much to go on but I'm loving it so far, no antennae on the BCs so I'm happy (kidding!). Not much to go on yet, the CG trailer has stopped downloading for me at 99% :(

Very friendly.

Moving swiftly back to the topic, which is (just incase anyone forgot, couldn't blame them):

starcraft2.jpg

So a decade later the art style has adapted to accommodate, how does everyone like it? There's not much to go on but I'm loving it so far, no antennae on the BCs so I'm happy (kidding!). Not much to go on yet, the CG trailer has stopped downloading for me at 99% :(

It looks awesome, but there is no way I could get it to run on this crappy computer.

What's with the "Nuke Cola" machine/billboard in the screenshot? Is it some kind of in-joke? I've never played starcraft but my brother was into it for a while (Though he always ends up going back to Civ2/4)

Ya I read the rumor about SC2 a couple weeks a ago. Though the person said they were going back to one of the older franchises. I thought they were going to do a Diablo 3 not a StarCraft 2

What's with the "Nuke Cola" machine/billboard in the screenshot? Is it some kind of in-joke? I've never played starcraft but my brother was into it for a while (Though he always ends up going back to Civ2/4)

I think that's a Fallout reference.

That's some awesome news. The SC2 website is really cool, already, and the videos are excellent.

And I think that in fallout it was called nuka cola, but i'm not sure about it.

I think that's a Fallout reference.

I vaguely remember a can of Nuke Cola in some cutscene from Starcraft or Brood War. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the cooler with the beer and a cold fusion nuke.
Of course, Fallout came first, so they might have got the idea from that too.

I must say I am pretty underwhelmed by the screens so far. Considering the time that passed the graphic looks remarkably the same on first glance. Sure the explosions are nicer and the background is as well. But not all that much seems to have changed. Of course one has to play it to do any judgement.

Did you watch the videos? The games looks pretty when it's moving. And I'm certain that Blizzard tried to keep the looks of the original game, although moving to full 3D.

I started downloading the videos... and cancelled them halfway through. I decided not to repeat the mistake I made with the last few big titles I played (in particular, Oblivion) - the developers give out so much information these days, that by the time the game comes out, it's hard not to be sceptical and underwhelmed... after all, you've already seen the best the game has to offer, so when you start playing, what you notice most of all is the flaws.

So, with StarCraft II, I'm gonna impose a total info blackout on myself - the only information I'll seek about this game is the release date. Hopefully, this way, when the game comes out, I'm actually gonna be blown away by it.

You should check out the cinematic trailer, though... except for a possible campaign character it doesn't give away much, and it's unimaginably awesome.

Then again, it does give a hint about cutscene quality, so maybe you're better off not watching it after all. :)

Well, you know... you make an exception for one trailer, and then you keep wanting more, and more :p. So, I'd better not - especially since this is gonna be hard enough as it is, what with Blizzard usually taking at least a year or two from announcement to release :p.

I would be exciated, but Blizzard's recent history makes me rather doubtful. (Hmm, let's see, the cancelling the that 3D mod for C&C Generals, Warcraft 3 not being particularly good (IMO, as usuall) , and the general bad times I had playiing World of Warcrack.)

Hmm sure its nice to see the story go on but I dont expect much from it. They could revive the Ghost game since it looked interesting.

Back