Star Wraith - Shadows of the Orion???

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Anyone seen anything for this game? I happened to stumble across it in a search for a completely unrelated topic. Here's the link to the homesite but there are other sites out there that cover the game. Anyone played it? I'm thinking about downloading the demo and seeing if its any good. Judging from the screenshots, the graphics seem decent.

http://starwraith3dgames.home.att.net/news.htm

Also noticed that the game supports multiplayer...

I've tried them and I now own them. They are pretty decent little sims.

There is also a Star Wraith 4: Reviction and Riftspace (a space mercenary game). Keep in mind, all of these games are 3D space flight sims with downloads under 10 MBs. They were also created entirely by one person, with a little help with the voice acting. For the size and the budget, they are really quite good. Star Wraith 4 is my favorite of those offered there.

The combat is really quite good, especially in Star Wraith 4. Enemies are aggressive and resourceful, and so are wingmen. You have a great deal of options for controlling your craft (yaw, pitch, roll, strafing, afterburners, and even strategic jump drive tactics). Environments are nice. You can even launch from your carrier, fly to a planet, enter the atmosphere and seemlessly fly to the surface to perform a strike mission.

These aren't huge games. They are meant to be simple and fun. SW 4 has a more involved storyline and greater mission variety than SW3, but other than that the gameplay is very similar, and this is probably due to the fact that the author is constantly updating both programs. He's also very good at hosting on-line games.

So, if you're looking for a little space combat simulator that has echoes of good old Wing Commander (which it openly acknowledges as an inspiration), it wouldn't hurt to give the Star Wraith series a try.

Back