Star Wars thread of great justice!

Most SW-Fans I know don’t even remember there were books like the once by Jeter, the New Rebellion and Crystal Star, or only got into SW after those and now those books just get talked about as long forgotten dark myths where rarely anyone can actually remember what happened in them (or in fact read them to the end). The only recent SW book I read that I really could not stand was Jedi Trial, the others I got my hands on were pretty solid. One of my favourites was Cloak of Deception which I very much enjoyed and I didn’t mind Shatterpoint except for the rushed end. But as so much it’s just a matter of taste and you just can’t really argue about these kind of things .

I didn’t mind Shatterpoint except for the rushed end.

There are two very specific things that killed it for me.

1.) The story is literally "Apocalypse Now Meets Star Wars". That sounds like a good idea in theory, but the writer made that such a literal idea, as you can hear Martin Sheen narrating as Mace Windu.

2.) The moment one of the characters said "Captain Obvious" to Mace, I flung the book against the far wall.

2.) The moment one of the characters said "Captain Obvious" to Mace, I flung the book against the far wall.

That's not in keeping with the high standards set forth by Lucas!

He'd tell you so himself, but he's busy creating more original characters like Elan Sleazebaggano.

There were alot of EU books back in the day that I truly enjoyed. Like "Shadow of the Empire" and "Truce at Bakura" They sort of lost it with that New Jedi Order business.

But the books of Rogue Squadron and the Corellian Trilogy etc.. those were all what kept my interest in Star Wars vibrant even during the period with no movies.

Not to mention West End Games and their Role Playing rulesystem for Starwars added countless neat ideas and worlds and races to the Starwars Extended Universe.

Wasn't that an homage to that cuban kid?

BTW, more on topic:

I liked the Tie Advanced (T-F Game), not so uber like the Defender, mmore like an Interceptor plus shields

There were alot of EU books back in the day that I truly enjoyed. Like "Shadow of the Empire" and "Truce at Bakura" They sort of lost it with that New Jedi Order business.

But the books of Rogue Squadron and the Corellian Trilogy etc.. those were all what kept my interest in Star Wars vibrant even during the period with no movies.

Shadows of the Empire was good, and the Rogue Squadron books were also quite good as well. Surpisingly, those are really the only Star Wars books I ever read.

Cheers,

It was still called the "TIE Advanced" in the original TIE Fighter game. It gets changed to Avenger in the addon.

My favorite fighter is the x-wing....however -

I never get tired of hearing the scream associated with the TIE craft. There's just something menacing about that sound. There's no mistaking it whatsoever for anything else from any other universe.

btw, does anyone know how that sound was 'chosen'? I'm not sure I would ever associate that kind of frequency with the engine of a starfighter. I wonder how it evolved to be just that.

I never get tired of hearing the scream associated with the TIE craft. There's just something menacing about that sound. There's no mistaking it whatsoever for anything else from any other universe.

btw, does anyone know how that sound was 'chosen'? I'm not sure I would ever associate that kind of frequency with the engine of a starfighter. I wonder how it evolved to be just that.
Presumably, the sound was chosen for the exact reasons you list as to why you like it - because it's menacing, and because it's very characteristic.

The sound itself is a bunch of different stuff mixed together. You can probably find some source on the internet providing more details about it - about all I can remember is that there's an elephant scream in there.

The Episode III novel, I seem to be finding, is better than the movie, seeing as how the book has actual emotion.

I found the Episode III book serviceable, which is more than I can say for the adaptations for the other two prequel novelizations.

However the strengths of the novel - it still tends to shirk the strengths of the movie.

What the hell was wrong with the Phantom Menace novel? It seemed fine to me.

Dunno, it's still better than the movie(Fucking Jarjar... thank god for Lego Star Wars.:D ) ....Then again, anything is better than Episode 1, save for Liam Neeson's acting, and the Lightsabre dual. Hell, even some of the NJO is better than most of that movie:p

Back