Star Wars Galaxies

Oh snap, nigga be roll'n!

While I've not played the game, I've followed it's progression pretty closely. I'm forced to agree with you, Frosty - while I think making a Jedi character is awesome, I think that so much of the Star Wars universe puts too much emphasis on just the Jedi. Thats probably why I enjoy games like Bounty Hunter or X-Wing Alliance - because they show us "everything else".

(BTW, when the hell is that SW:G expansion pack with starships coming out?)

LeHah said:
Oh snap, nigga be roll'n!

While I've not played the game, I've followed it's progression pretty closely. I'm forced to agree with you, Frosty - while I think making a Jedi character is awesome, I think that so much of the Star Wars universe puts too much emphasis on just the Jedi. Thats probably why I enjoy games like Bounty Hunter or X-Wing Alliance - because they show us "everything else".

(BTW, when the hell is that SW:G expansion pack with starships coming out?)

From what I heard it should be out this early summer.

I will bet you a million dollars that it will not be out in time for Christmas 2004, let alone early summer.

Its probable...but as history shows when something is expected to be released in the game arenas, it usually takes a bit longer than announced. Which can be a good thing...implement improvements, fix bugs etc.

Patience prevails in any circumstance.

Actually the Jedi are getting penalized. They no longer perma die, but they lose entire skills when they die. There was some big post on the forums about it over at SWG. The entire macro jedi thing sucks, so personally I can't wait until they change it over to the quest system. They no longer get any jedi xp anymore in combat unless using the lightsaber, which makes them nice little targets for the bounty hunters. hehehe

Btw... anyone here who plays SWG... what servers are y'all on?

I'm on Shadowfire.

Tannim said:
Actually the Jedi are getting penalized. They no longer perma die, but they lose entire skills when they die.
Oh boo fucking hoo, I feel really bad for them. That's not a penalty, that's a joke. They can sit in a locked PA hall using force powers on a droid and get those skills right back, because they're little macro whores.
There was some big post on the forums about it over at SWG. The entire macro jedi thing sucks, so personally I can't wait until they change it over to the quest system.
Quests are even easier to distill and exploit than the current system. There is no way to limit the number of force-sensitive slots without doing something totally artificial like imposing a cap. The only way to control the Jedi numbers is through permadeath and Bounty Hunters, and now they've removed that.

Let's face it, the devs exist for no other reason than to give rim jobs to all the Jedi, and I will tell you exactly why: Because they horribly mis-managed their design and marketing of the game, Jedi, as a profession, has been painted as the ultimate goal in the game. Contrary to SWG's original concept, everyone expects to wind up at the exact same place sooner or later, and that place is Jedi. Now, if your entire player base, or at least the vast majority of it, pays you a monthly fee strictly for the opportunity to be Jedi, what is the last thing you want to go and do? Make Jedi a difficult or challenging profession, that's what.

So in order to maintain the bulk of their monthly revenues, they have no choice but to do everything in their power to destroy the continuity and ruin the experience for any player who isn't an exploiting, macro-whoring dick-licker.
They no longer get any jedi xp anymore in combat unless using the lightsaber, which makes them nice little targets for the bounty hunters. hehehe
Not every Hunter out there can gun down a Jedi. And even if they did, so what? Oh boo hoo, they lost some pathetically worthless XP. Guess they'll have to go macro-hunt some more on Endor, the poor sons of bitches.

I hope they get hit by trucks.

Like I said, when Publish 7 rolls around, everyone with Investigation 3 is going to become a bloodthirsty, Jedi-hunting, war machine, and I plan to join their ranks. All that's left to us is to collect every Jedi mark we can, and hopefully hunt-spam them out of the game. If we can't frustrate them enough to give up, then SWG becomes Super Jedi Wars, and I, and every other intelligent SWGer, will leave.
Btw... anyone here who plays SWG... what servers are y'all on?
Lowca.

As a matter of fact, our PA on Lowca is in some serious trouble, so if people want to start a second character, or haven't invested much on another server and would like to switch over to Lowca and start again, let me know about it. Things are pretty ugly right now and the more people on my side, the better.

RFBurns said:
Its probable...but as history shows when something is expected to be released in the game arenas, it usually takes a bit longer than announced.

Oh yeah, because Daikatana was the wunderhit of the decade.

Frosty said:
Like I said, when Publish 7 rolls around, everyone with Investigation 3 is going to become a bloodthirsty, Jedi-hunting, war machine, and I plan to join their ranks. All that's left to us is to collect every Jedi mark we can, and hopefully hunt-spam them out of the game.

I hope to be there when all this shit goes down. I like me some Kentucky Fried Jedi.

I am on Shadowfire Tannim. My computer crashed so I am not online at the moment, but all my freinds are. If you want to hook up with a good guild and a city with cool peeps look for the RAA, tak to either Sip, or Ellis Zahn, they are guild reps. Well Ellis is the leader lol. The guild only accepts Masters, and have really been trying to get the Civil War going.

Gotta be a Rebel though.

As for the Jedi problem, it is sad that anyone can do it, but it does take time to macro-grind, and casual players like me just don't time. The quest system will be better, maybe Jedi's should only get Jedi Xp for quests. The Devs will need more story lines for those players, which is fine by me, I am a SW geek (and Trekkie). Oddly enough, only one of my friends was a BH, and he hated it lol, they are almost all TKM now.

Oh by the way Tannim, my name online is Ayden Storm.

Oh and by the way, when the Ship expansion comes out, do you know if you will have to take new proffessions to fly. I know there are going to be new races and maybe like 4 new worlds. Just wondering.

I believe so - pilots will become a template and smugglers will finally have something to get around in.

If the second half of the game ever sees the light of day, piloting-specific skills might be added, but it'll largely be more traditional WC/X-Wing-style gameplay, which I don't mind at all.

Keep in mind though, that ships are likely to be extremely prohibitively expensive.

Yeah, I'm sure they're going to spend 18+ months developing the most complex MMP stuff ever and then make it so you can never, ever use it.

If this starship expansion comes out and it allows for players to be Han Solo-esque smugglers, I would totally buy the game and shell out the monthly mula.

Smuggling is a profession without much purpose right now, since Imperial players can't enforce laws and Bounty Hunters can only chase Jedi marks. I hear, though, that they'll be adding a system whereby a Hunter like me can chase down Smuggler scum like you, though. The possibility of role-play PvP like that excites me, I hope it happens.

Bandit LOAF said:
Yeah, I'm sure they're going to spend 18+ months developing the most complex MMP stuff ever and then make it so you can never, ever use it.

Hey - its a dream, right?

What I dont get is why the game did not incorporate the space flight and ships element to begin with. After all...the game title is Star Wars Galaxies, and in that world, you cant have Star Wars without space ships, pilots, smugglers, bounty hunters, Imperial fighters, Alliance fighters, cargo vessels, gunboats etc etc.

Swinging a light sabre is fine, making the rank of Jedi is great, but the entire genre of the Star Wars Galaxies game is totally incomplete without space flight. (IMO)

RFBurns said:
What I dont get is why the game did not incorporate the space flight and ships element to begin with.
Yeah, it takes a little familiarity with the course of the game's development to put things into place. Basically the game was delayed over and over again, and features were removed, step by step. The players lost more than spaceflight at launch. We're also missing the third GCW faction, for instance. They've slowly added some things they took away, like player cities, mounts and vehicles, but the game is still buggy for some professions, and lacks a lot of the depth of the original concept.
Swinging a light sabre is fine, making the rank of Jedi is great, but the entire genre of the Star Wars Galaxies game is totally incomplete without space flight. (IMO)
I don't know, some pretty great Star Wars games don't really focus on spaceflight, and you can spend a good chunk of time while watching one of the movies without seeing a starship at all.

But they told us it was going to be part of the game, and that's how I want it. The only problem I see, is in maintainance. Ships are going to cost a lot of credits, probably millions for the really cool ones, and you're going to have to dump cash into them constantly for upkeep. I already spend too much money keeping my house and speederbike from collapsing into piles of rubble, I can't imagine what a starship would be like.

I look forward to it anyway, though, if for no other reason than to eliminate the time spent at a starport, waiting for the transport to arrive. That takes forever.

EDIT: Also, I don't think choosing the [profession, not rank] of Jedi is really all that great anymore. Starting today they can actually be hunted. Oh that's going to drive them up the wall.

Frosty said:
Smuggling is a profession without much purpose right now, since Imperial players can't enforce laws and Bounty Hunters can only chase Jedi marks. I hear, though, that they'll be adding a system whereby a Hunter like me can chase down Smuggler scum like you, though. The possibility of role-play PvP like that excites me, I hope it happens.
Hell yeah! Which is exactly why I'd buy the game. Here's looking out for the starship expansion :D

Thats certianly true...the Dark Forces games did not focus on space flight. And yep, I will admit.. Ive spent alot of hours swinging the light sabre. :D

Back