Star Wars Galaxies

LeHah

212 Squadron - "The Old Man's Eyes And Ears"
I have that big boxed version of Star Wars Galaxies collecting dust in my room. Problem is is that I have a P3 800 with 128 RAM. Should I bother trying to install it, even though its under the "required" specs? Frosty said yes, but Frosty tends to be Frosty, so yeah

Opinions?

If you want my opinion (as someone who played, and has since stopped), the game's way too buggy and unbalanced to make it worthwhile. Even with all the fixes since its initial release, there's still a ton of stuff wrong with it. It's fun for a while, but it couldn't hold my interest, mainly due to the # of bugs.

I'll note that, Speradon, though thats not what I asked. Frosty and I signed up into a SW:G clan about 8 months before the game came out. Id really like to hop on and support the group but Im not sure if my Bronze Age computer could take it.

I haven't played SW:G... but I have a high degree of respect for it, as most everyone who worked on SWG worked on various WC titles.

(I did buy the big box set dealy - I'm a sucker for special edition games... just ask Ultima IX Dragon Edition.)

Though I'm not positive, my best guess would be that you'd need at least the minimum requirements. Especially once you hit the cities, with all the people (or, in a giant battle), the lag can hit pretty hard. Even if your internet connection's good, your video card should be pretty powerful in order to process all the action.

Unless you have a very good video card, I'd say don't bother. It may be playable in some areas (with minimum detail and low framerate) but, like Speradon said, the framerate drop during battles or around crowded places is *big*.

Bandit LOAF said:
I haven't played SW:G... but I have a high degree of respect for it, as most everyone who worked on SWG worked on various WC titles.

You know me, I'm the same way. I bought Lunar 2 for the PSX simply because it came with some really fantastic goodies (A pendant, the manual was in faux hardbound leather, the soundtrack, etc) and I'm still hording development stuff from the first 3 Medal Of Honor games where I can find it.

My friend is running it just fine on his PC, even though he doesn't meet the specs either.

As for the fun factor, I've been playing and love it. It's gotten WAY better since the various patches and publishes. I haven't encountered a single bug for months now.

He's running a AMDK6 (III) 450 mhz

has 384 megs of memory, and a G-Force FX 5200 PCI (w/ 128 mb DDR memory) for his video card.

I've decided to save up for a new PC. I have about $200 now and my birthday is on the 18th. We'll see if that helps to fill in any blanks. I was considering getting that $600 Dell thats on sale but want to see if it has an AGP slot (it has an integrated video card - ugh)

Do they even still make boards without AGP slots? (Speaking of boards, if there's a fairly modern (P3+) board with more than three ISA slots that anyone knows of, I'd love to hear about it...).

(A lot of boards seem to come with onboard video and sound these days - it's generally a simple matter to disable them.)

Bandit LOAF said:
Do they even still make boards without AGP slots?

(A lot of boards seem to come with onboard video and sound these days - it's generally a simple matter to disable them.)

Thats the strange thing about the Dell I have now (Dimension L800r - P3 800 w/ 128 RAM). I bought this fantastic video card on sale two years ago and popped my computer open only to find it lacked the AGP port. I'm not taking that chance a second time.

I was running it on a 32 video card, I had to turn the graphics and stuff way way down, but the only real problem I had was the lag from a really really bad internet connection.
Other than that, it is a fun game, especially if you can get a crew of friends together. I would recommend it for star wars fans, though someone like me, a fan-atic, some of the NPCs are wrong lol, but they aren't serious problems.
Saving up for a new PC so I can play it on DSL, had on my friends pc and it was a blast, it kills a little to much time though lol.
Jedi are pretty badass, and JEdi PCs no longer die for good when they die. Not for the casual player though lol.

BlackJack2063 said:
and JEdi PCs no longer die for good when they die.
Which just proves what ass-lickers the devs are.

Any moron can macro-grind his way to Jedi while he's asleep, it's not difficult at all. To top it off, Jedi are practicaly unstoppable killing machines (seen the screenshots of the Jedi raid on Bestine? Total massacre,) who now recieve no penalty whatsoever for getting killed.

All these Jedi snoozing their way to Guardian and then bitching to the devs about how overpowered we Bounty Hunters are make me sick.

Jedi should not be an enjoyable profession, and all players should be actively discouraged from using their FS slot. Removing permadeath is basically removing the only check on their numbers. Bounty Hunters like me are now totally useless because we can't control their numbers. All we can do now is piss them off.

Every Jedi on every galaxy can suck it. They had better watch their back, because when Publish 7 rolls around, their lives will be a living hell.

Back