Star Trek XI?

Back onto the original topic... back when Enterprise was first coming out I thought, "cool they'll finally do the Romulan war." Well I've seen a lot of other crazy aliens, but only one fight with the Romulans had happened. After the Borg thing (Which I thought was sort of cool because it was linked to First Contact) I kind of got sick of Enterprise. Maybe it was the fact that Enterprise was fighting off the Borg which was infinately more ridiculous than Voyager.

Anyway, this still leaves me with never seeing this much talked about Romulan War that should concievably happen during the time of Enterprise. The movie sounds like the best idea to go about it, I think. With a bigger budget than the series and without focusing on the dull Enterprise cast they can pull off a much nicer war movie. (One of the stupidest things about the Dominion war in DS9 was seeing the Defiant flying around and blowing things up while all the other ships in the fleet just kind of floated there like idiots without firing a shot)

It's a part of Star Trek history I've always been interested in seeing, which is why I really like the "Starfleet Museum" site. Maybe it's just a subconcious thing, wanting to get a little Wing Commander in my Star Trek.

I agree that a movie about the Romulan War should not star the Enterprise cast (or the Enterprise itself), but I do think that the Enterprise setting (proto-Federation with any continuity that has been created during Enterprise) should be kept with the War branching off from that, much like how DS9 and Voyager branch off from the setting established in TNG.

the future of Trek

May very well rest in the hands of the fan films...

have you folks been to starwreck.com? Or starshipexcelsior.com? Or my personal favorites: www.5yearmission.com (re-enactments of the original cast), or the fan trailer for www.bringbackkirk.com

Is it my imagintion or is fan stuff just as good (or even better) than what B&B (Brainless & Braindead) have been hashing out the last few years?

As for the legacy, I truly think Trek will live for a VERY long time even if the franchise were to go belly up tomorrow... It strikes a chord in most people at the unconciuos level. People WANT to have the hope of a utopian society where crime, poverty, and hunger are abolished. Also that we , as a species, are not a lone in the universe. That there is indeed something MORE out there...

As for Enterprise... I'm afraid there is "no way to unscrew that pooch!" the damage is done. At lest it can't get any worse :rolleyes: I mean it's not like they are gonna have Shivans start invading...
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/getter_robo_g_2004/detail?.dir=7fcc&.dnm=7477.jpg

Yeah, of course a fan mod of an ST game counts as a 'canon' thing. :rolleyes:

As for Kirk, let the bastard die already. (Well, die again, even if you ignore the ego-stroke ST novels Shatner wrote.)

The only Shatner novel I liked was "The Ashes of Eden" because the Enterprise-A got to go down fighting instead of being peacefully decomissioned at the end of Star Trek VI, it also kind of gotten some of its plot points stolen by Star Trek Insurrection (The whole planet with healing and fountain of youth properties even though it was discovered that it didn't have those properties and it was all in their heads).

The ones where he came back from the dead in the TNG timeline to go galavanting around with a geriatric Spock and McCoy were just plain stupid, then things got even more ridiculous with the mirror universe stuff thrown in. He should've stuck to the TOS timeline if he wanted to do stories with the TOS characters. It was like he wanted to write a TNG story very badly but he didn't want to do it without Kirk.

So my point is, I agree, let Kirk stay dead in the canon. Shatner's too old for the high action roll of Captain Kirk anyway.

You've always got Priceline.com commercials if you're a Shatner fan. He's better at trying to be funny than serious anyway since he's a great guy to make fun of.

I would love to see a DS9 based movie. It really got interesting with the last few seasons and the Dominion wars.

DS9 was a fantastic show...had a great war going on and then just a horrible last episode...everyone left and split apart...makes it quite hard to do a movie. What the heck was with Sisko's ending anyway? I understand the back story about being the prophet but I just thought it was a rather lame ending. I would love to see a DS9 video though.

As for the Kirk discussion...come on, he's a classic, the James Bond/Han Solo type high thrill actions star...he's the bomb, he'll never die. I truly enjoyed the William Shatner novels, thought they were quite interesting...unrealistic but there's the beauty of Star Trek...you can stretch things a bit. Of course, I liked Shatner's other novels, Tekwar and the Quest for Tommorrow series (I think that was the title, could be wrong...).

Yeah, DS9's last episode did suck for me too. I just loved how in the TNG's last episode it all wrapped nice and tight with them just playing cards. But DS9's episode was like overkill. How it kept showing clips from the first episode and the whole thing just felt like this really long goodbye. I didn't fully understand what happened with Sisko either.

I've never read the Shatner Star Trek novels. It seems he sure does like writing about Kirk and making him more super bad ass and cool than he really was. I remember that scene in Generations that was cut where it shows him in the beginning just sky diving. They even made an action figure of him in that sky diving suit if I recall correctly.

There seems to be a lot of support here for the sixth film. I don't consider myself to be a rabid Star Trek fan (though I do like a lot of it), but the sixth movie is one of my favorite sci-fi films of all time. Generations was very good too. And like him or not, Kirk set the prescedent for all captains to come, and his death ended perhaps the most important chapter in the history of Star Trek. Still, it was nicely done, a fitting way to transfer the mantle to TNG cast.

The only Trek movie I don't really care for is the first one. Someone mentioned it drags. Well, it does. Six is the best, who doesn't love a good conspiracy? Generations, First Contact, and Nemesis are all great, and Insurrection was fun for what it was.

The last episode of Deep Space Nine I thought was great. Unlike the last episode of TNG, which could have been just any old episode. There was nothing really final about it (true, true, Generations did come out a scant few months later). The DS9 relaunch is pretty cool, too, if you haven't read it.

Enterprise is okay, I like the Starfleet Marines. But as a big nerd, the continuity issues bug me.

Anyway, a Romular War movie would be cool. I've always been intrigued by this unseen war, as far back as I can remember.

I may be in the minority here...

...but Star Trek: The Motion Picture is my favorite ST movie, hands down. I loved the look of it: lots of colors, innovative [at the time] special effects, a *wonderful* musical score, and a good little number of alien races (tell me you didn't love the redone Klingons. Come on ^_^).

That, and I felt like it dabbled in science a bit more than the other ST films. II, VIII, and X all seemed out-of-place to me, as they catered to the Star Trek "action" fan. To me, Trek is all about science and technology... not blowing things up ;-)

I liked Generations a lot, and I even got into IV a bit (comedy worked... don't ask me why). III and IX bored me, though the plots sounded **great** on paper. V, I think, was altogether pointless, and though VI is well-liked by most fans, it just didn't attract me the way that I and VII did. Go figure!

Just my two cents. Romulan wars don't really flip my switch... but if it's a ST movie, I'll see it. Period :)

One Star Trek TNG episode I've always particularly liked was the I think it was called Night Terrors. I can't remember exactly. But it's when the Enterprise gets stuck inside this rift and they are gradually losing power. And then they all start having hallucinations because they are not getting REM sleep except for Troi who always has nightmares.

Then they find out there is an alien ship on the other side of the rift trying to get out as well and they were trying to send a distress signal for hydrogen telepathically through Troi which was making everyone brainwaves all messed up so they couldn't dream.

It was just a really cool science fiction idea I thought. I loved how creepy it was and how you get to see all those dead people aboard the other vessel as well. Then at the end after the explosion happens you see the alien ship fly away and they didn't even bother to stick around to learn about the Enterprise or anything. I never get tired of that episode.

EEEEK a new star trek movie set in the past. Another way to destroy established history. How can they have a confict between two races that never saw face to face. The starfleet crew would have to die before reporting back to command.

For a series that is supposed to be about the future, they sure do want to move back wards now. They have so much space in the galaxy still left to explore, or a show of politics and conspiries like DS9, they don't need to cop out and do a generic action flick.

Wrath of Khan whooped but, I like two of the TNG movies, First Contact and Nemesis they rocked too, and insurection was charming if rather shallow. But the TOS movies were the best, Star Trek has yet to recapture the chemistry of Kirk, McCoy and SPock, and it that was one of the things that made the TOS cool. I still get choked up when see Kirk die in generations, I knew he was going to, and it was a passing the torch story, but itwas not a death that was very glamorous, he should have died defending the federation from something greater than a mad scientist. And it bothered me that the enterprise seemed to get more of a feeling of loss in the movie than Kirk. Its quaint to have a small humble ceremony for a hero, but Kirk is the greatest figure in Star Fleet History, a hero of ages. He deserved better.

Lol ok rant done, pardon my bad grammer lol tired.

The coolest characters in the movies not-including the main cast were:

1) Macolm McDowell in Generations
2) Christopher Plumer as General Chang
3) F. Murray Abraham in Insurrection
4) David Warner as the Kilingon Chancellor in STVI
5) Admiral Cartwright / Colonel West (tied for 5th)

Dragon1 said:
The coolest characters in the movies not-including the main cast were:

1) Macolm McDowell in Generations
2) Christopher Plumer as General Chang
3) F. Murray Abraham in Insurrection
4) David Warner as the Kilingon Chancellor in STVI
5) Admiral Cartwright / Colonel West (tied for 5th)

How can you leave out Ricardo Montalban?

Back