Star Trek Lawsuit

That strip is hilarious. I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned at TrekWeb by now. Oh that's right, everybody there is too busy whining about the state of Star Trek or discussing Terminator 3 for this.

I'd have to agree with the strip. So many cool ideas that would take Star Trek to new areas, etc., but they put a stupid prequel on that doesn't even seem like a prequel: time travel from the post-TNG era, Ferengi and Borg...?

Nemesis, IMO, was cool, but the last two Trek shows, Voyager and Enterprise, have been almost unwatchable. The last couple seasons of DS9 was taking the franchise in the right direction, unfortunately something went awry, and the head honchos decided that more ice-queens with big boobs and more boring storylines concerning the Captain breaking every planetary law because he alone thinks they're wrong sounded like a good idea.

Whatever.

-Wes

I really feel bad for Nemesis, being my favorite ST movie and all. I can't believe it did that bad :(.

Yeah. It was no First Contact, but I enjoyed it.

Does anyone know how Nemesis fared at the Box Office? Did it do worse than Insurrection (IMO, the worst ST flick since The Final Frontier)?

Nemesis bombed HARD (and IMO rightfully so). Stewart was quoted during the X2 press conference that the TNG franchise is most definitely over as far as he's concerned.

Insurrection was remotely watchable. Nemesis just looked like a bad b-movie, esp the bridge of the Romulan super-ship. The basic idea of the movie had promise but refused to have anything in the way of balls.

I like Enterprise simply because it's very anti-Trek at times, which I enjoy. I like dumb popcorn stuff, esp after the constant bullshit morality of Voyager.

I thought Enterprise had a lot of bullshit morality, too. But I haven't watched it in a long time, so maybe they've toned that down.

The worst part of voyager was that its bullshit morallity was never the same morallity. One day the prime directive was all that mattered, another day it was thrown to the wind.

I heared that when they finished shooting Nemesis it was nearly an hour overlength, and that they had to cut it right down by almost an hour. IMO it really showed. The scenes didnt move very smoothly from one to the next and the whole thing seemed a bit rushed.

Stewart was quoted during the X2 press conference that the TNG franchise is most definitely over as far as he's concerned.

he seems to change his mind every five seconds! He's also been quated as saying that he'd like to do another one...

I like enterprise, the first seasons of all the spin off shows have been pretty weak but they've all picked up as they've gone on.....

Regarding Stewart: recently ALL i've heard him talk about is him being finished with the role of Picard. He would only do it if Nemesis made good money. It didn't, no more TNG. (My favorite crew too! :( )

That would be cool, but I think Frakes said he's pretty sure it's over with as well. I like Riker and kinda wish Picard would have just passed the torch in Nemesis since he says he's done for sure. We can't use Riker now because a Star Trek movie would just feel wrong without the Enterprise.

hmmm, well, I always thought that DS9 finished with a kind of 'to be continued' vibe, perhaps they could do that. DS9 was probably my favourite series, so I'd certainly go see it!

Benjamin said:
he seems to change his mind every five seconds! He's also been quated as saying that he'd like to do another one...

Those are hardly conflicting statements.

The problem with Star Trek is Brandon and Braga. They effectively are in charge of the while franchise. Guess what? They don't *CARE* about Star Trek (hell, they don't *LIKE* it), (think "Get a life"). They just know that there's a huge crowd out there who at the mention of Star Trek would open their wallets and start spending money. They know they're sitting on a cash cow and all they have to do is milk it.

They're just sitting in their little executive offices sitting back knowing anything they do they'll make money off it, as long as it's "Star Trek" and there are fans. Sure they'll throw token amounts of money at it, but not any more than necessary to keep the cash cow alive. It's a sad state of affairs, but there's enough crowd that'll keep 'em afloat for more years. The rest get disenchanted.

(And anyhow, there were very few hits for ST computer games - most sucked badly, but on their own accord.).

Say what you will about Enterprise, but that's the true state of affairs. Hell, they've made enough mistakes in the past, I'm surprised Activision hasn't sued earlier. OTOH, recently there have been some very good games... I suppose it's to be expected. Enterprise is an OK series - some will find it good, others bad. But it's really about a bunch of people in a spaceship under the "Star Trek" title. Yawn.

Insurrection was painful to watch, if Nemesis is the last TNG movie, I'm glad. Much better way to end it. It was at least equivalent to a fun episode of the show.

ChrisReid said:
Insurrection was painful to watch

The ethics of Insurrection are so weird Data's head could explode. And it's also a bad movie.

Dralthi5 said:
a stupid prequel on that doesn't even seem like a prequel: time travel from the post-TNG era, Ferengi and Borg...?

Ferrrengi and Borg on Enterprise? Bizarre.

Mav23 said:
That strip is hilarious.

Yeah, very cool.

Back