Star Trek: Judgement Rites

Dougly

Spaceman
Since DOSBox worked well at running WC I and II, I've been trying to use it to play other "classic" games that I have fond memories of. Two of my all time favorites are Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, and Star Trek: Judgement Rites.

I managed to get the CD-Rom version of 25th Anniversary up and running a few days ago. Works perfectly, and I've played through the entire thing.

I installed the CD-Rom Collectors Edition of Judgement Rites earlier this evening. That game was a bit more of a hassle to get up and running. However, I seem to have it running well enough to have played through the first "episode."

One problem I keep running into, however, is that the game locks up on me sometimes when I try to run a search on certain topics on the Enterprise's computer. This happened to me when I tried searching for "Espoir Station," in the first mission, and "Gellman" in the second mission.

Has anyone else on here tried playing Judgement Rites via DOSBox? If so, have you encountered the same problem? Any suggestions for fixes would be welcome, and would likely save me a great deal of time. Being able to come to one place for tech support when I'm dealing with WC games has spoiled me, I'm afraid.

Also, my apologies if this is posted in the wrong place. I thought it would be better off here than in tech support due to the fact that this deals with a non-WC game.

This is a small explanation about how to use STJR without dos box I ounce worked. I worked just fine for my floppy version of STJR:

"Note on running the game in Windows XP:
Apart from using DOS, DosBox and VDMSound, Judgment Rites can be ran in plain Windows XP with full sound and music, although that requires a bit of fiddling. Right-click on the game executable and select [PROPERTIES]. Then go to [MEMORY] tab. Change all drop-boxes to "automatic" and put a tick in the "protected" checkbox. In order to get the sound running, run the game's setup and select "Roland SCC-1/General Midi" for music and "Sound Blaster Pro" for sound effects. While reason would dictate using the latter for both, it only results in the game playing with sound effects but no music."

I found it some where (don't remember where) and I don't remember if it requires using the compatibility mode (IIRC then no it doesn't)

hope it helps :)

Thanks for the tips on getting the game to run under Windows XP.

Right now, I'll probably just stick with DOSBox. I mean, I have DOSBox, and I'm familiar with how to use it, thanks to having installed/played various WC games. I might as well stick with it for other older, DOS based games.

FYI - With DOSBox, I can use Sound Blaster Pro for both music and sound. I've played through the first two missions completely, with DOSBox set at about 7500 cycles. Everything was just as I remember it.

The only unfixable problems I've run into are the lockups I encounter when I try to use the ship's computer to look up "Espoir Station" or "Gellman." Those are only minor irritants, that shouldn't badly effect my ability to complete the game. I'd fix them if I could, but I can't seem to find any information on the problem online anywhere.

It is really great to play 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites again. I have so many fond memories of both those games.

I had a similar problem with the game - itd always crash when choosing the optimum way to complete one of the missions. I suspect that Interplay used exceptionaly cheap disks for this one, I seem to recall that they had a tendancy to do that.

I suspect that Interplay used exceptionaly cheap disks for this one, I seem to recall that they had a tendancy to do that.

So... basically, this might not be a problem I can fix?

That's swell.

itd always crash when choosing the optimum way to complete one of the missions.

At least mine only crashes when I try to access certain computer topics. I hope I don't encounter crashes when trying to pick the best ending for a mission.

Little update on my efforts: I tried tinkering with the amount of memory allocated, as well as re-installing the game, but nothing I've done seems to have fixed the problem.

However, it seems that running a loadfix -15 makes the cutscenes run a little smoother. I suppose it could just be my imagination. I am going to continue using loadfix -15 before running the game, though.

Problem solved!

Another update: I seem to have solved my problem.

As Andrewas suspected, the issue seemed to be with the game CD. Upon close examination of the CD, it appeared to be scratched. Attempts at making a copy of the CD were met with a "read error."

My Dad used a home remedy for fixing CD scratches (it involves using toothpaste), and, afterwards, I tried copying the CD once again. This time, I was able to copy the game over to a new CD without problem.

The "copied" CD runs the game perfectly, and I can now access all of the articles on the ship's computer that once caused the game to lock up. I plan on using the copied CD whenever I play the game, as the original does appear to be a little more fragile than I'd like.

Many thanks to Andrewas for pointing me in the right direction on this.

those games are really great. They're the best ST games ever made, IMO. Talk about capturing the spirit of the OS.

those games are really great. They're the best ST games ever made, IMO. Talk about capturing the spirit of the OS.

I couldn't agree more. I finished Judgement Rites yesterday. I can't beleive how much I enjoyed both games, even today. Everything - from the writing to the music and sound effects - makes you feel like you're actually "playing" episodes of TOS.

I only wish they had made a few more of those games. It's a shame Interplay went under the way it did.

Back