Star lancer?

Ohh I know it, some of the parts where the Spider things came out of nowhere made me jump, game was creepy, made me keep playing.

Yeah, Doom 3 was my favorite PC game of 2004. I wouldn't even call it a shoot-em-up. It was a shooter, but it was also a suspenseful game in a way unlike the prior Dooms. I could only play it in 15-20 minute sittings, and it's a really long game, so I never finished it.

Bearcat said:
How did Privateer 2 fit in with the continuity?

I'm not sure what you mean -- I'm certainly not familiar with Privateer 2 explicitly contradicting anything about earlier games. If you're asking where the game is set, it's roughly a century after the end of Prophecy (the year 2789 - so, a 109 year shift) in an area of space/political region called the Tri-System.

Eder said:
Starlancer? Too short? No, no, no... as fun a game as Starlancer was, it was too *long* - how many missions about chasing torpedoes should a game have?

I actually loved the chasing torpedos missions; what got on my nevers was the constant "zomg the Coaltion has a new super weapon we must destory it!!!!1111" crap. By the time I got to the last mission I was so fed up I never even finished the game.

I liked the demo to Starlancer as it took place before the main game, rather than being a level of the game.

TopGun said:
I liked the demo to Starlancer as it took place before the main game, rather than being a level of the game.

Yea that was cool, I like it when game companies do that, 14* East did the same thing with Klingon Academy.

Chris, I would say HL2 was better than doom 3. If you like a scary game play fear.

My standard answer to all "OMG, Doom and Fear is so scary" threads: The only game that has ever scared me was System Shock 2.

System Shock 2 should get an award for being the most suspensful game out there. It is one of the scariest and has a really cool plot.

I think one of the things that made Doom 3 so good was the randomness of it. You could run down a corridor ten times and have nothing happen. On the eleventh though, something jumps at you very quickly from a shadow that didn't previously exist.

Doom 3 is kind of like the band Skinny Puppy. It is really ugly music, but some of the songs are so good that you have to listen to them, and then they grow on you. Everything about Doom 3 was loud and ugly, but it conveyed some sort of primal thing that kept me playing, and it grew on me.

Dran said:
Chris, I would say HL2 was better than doom 3. If you like a scary game play fear.

FEAR startled me. It wasn't scary at all.

Aliens VS Predator 2, the human campaign. THAT was scary.

Bob McDob said:
I actually loved the chasing torpedos missions; what got on my nevers was the constant "zomg the Coaltion has a new super weapon we must destory it!!!!1111" crap. By the time I got to the last mission I was so fed up I never even finished the game.

Yeah, I think I got right up to the end before I just quit playing. I hated the torpedo goalie stuff, but it was some massive super carrier I was reconning that I think I stopped at. I'd still like to play through it cooperatively eventually.

PattyMan2001 said:
Yea that was cool, I like it when game companies do that, 14* East did the same thing with Klingon Academy.

Origin did that with Prophecy as well. The demo doesn't take place before the game, but it's an additional set of events that occur in the H'hrass System.

t.c.cgi said:
FEAR startled me. It wasn't scary at all.

Aliens VS Predator 2, the human campaign. THAT was scary.

Oh, fuck yes. Sorry about the langauge, but that game is severely underrated.

System Shock 2 is very scary various levels. Great gameplay. The tragic mutants, the ghosts, all alone in that haunted spaceship, saving ammo.

They say AvP is scary, even more so, but I never had the chance to play it.

Yeah, System Shock 2 really freaks me out. If anyone fancies replaying it, try the enhanced textures at http://shtup.home.att.net/ the "schock texture upgrade project". Get scared all over again, but people won't keep telling you "Doom3 looks so much better"!

I remember getting goose-bumps from Realms of the Haunting too, an old Gremlin game. Had some very creepy stuff in it. SS2 is definitely top though for making me jumpy though. :D

After replaying Starlancer and Freelancer I would have to say that both games have potential to expand further....

Back