Star Fox Assault

TheRedDuke

Spaceman
Anyone played it yet? I just picked it up last weekend, and overall it's pretty enjoyable, albeit unoriginal. The space combat is the same formula as Star Fox 64, which is all I really wanted in a new game. The graphics are pretty sweet too. I gotta say though, the ground missions they throw in really drag the game down. It's very reminiscent of those tedious missions mixed into Star Wars Rebel Strike; it really interrupts the flow of the game. Regardless, given the lack of good space sims or shooters out there right now, I'd still reccomend it.

Frosty will hate me for this but I too feel the same way about Rebel Strike. It was such a great idea but the controls for the "on foot" missions were piss poor. Also, sometimes it seemed like the graphics were better in the previous installment. (One of my all time favorite spacesim moments was that nebula mission at the beginning of Rouge Leader. That was so gorgeous.)

As for Starfox, I've been leaning away from the most recent installments. Something about them just didn't click with me, I suppose.

I'll second that one LeHah, on all fronts. Rogue Leader caught my attention right away, Rebel Strike didnt impress me, same with the new StarFox.

I liked Rebel Strike a lot. The flight missions were excellent, much like Rogue Leader, and the story was also pretty good. I remember how excited I was to first play the game, only to find out on the first mission there was all this third-person crap mixed in. God, I especially hated that first level in the Yavin base. I got killed several times because I couldn't run or aim, then got fed up and didn't play the game again for a week.

And I know how you feel Lehah. I played Star Fox Adventures when it first came out, and it was okay, but it didn't capture any of the elements that made the Star Fox games great...you know, things like flying and shooting random polygonal ships. When I play the ground missions in Assault I get that same feeling. It's like they're trying to make Star Fox something that it isn't, when they should really just stick to their roots.

I think the problem with all the Starfox games after the original is not only the "wow" factor for the then-amazing polygons but the wild sense of urgency while flying.

Compared to Rogue Leader as a game Rebel Strike is piss poor on nearly all fronts, the cutscenes look good at first but are pointless I mean the constant conversations between Vader and the Emperor get annoying quite quicky and the ground levels are weak whilst the flying ones just don't compete with Rogue Leaders missions

Also Lylat Wars (Starfox 64) on the N64 was a cracking wee game!

I love Lylat Wars, too, and I had Rebel Strike before Rogue Leader, and I find it hard to get anything past bronze in Rogue Leader. Rebel Strike HAS its selling points, though, as I found the speeder bike missions pretty cool.

...and et's not forget the original Rogue Squadron. This game is a great way to get started with Star Wars flying.

Starfox 64 was a superb game but I've heard awfull things about adventures...

I think Rebel Strike gets a harder time than it deserves. Yes Rogue Leader was superb, I personally was hooked on it until I'd earned every single ace medal but I did complete Rebel Strike, happilly, I won't complete a game if I get bored at any point. If Rogue Leader had never existed Rebel Strike would have been very well viewed indeed, and it certainly was more visually appealing imo.

StarFox, StarFox 2 (unreleased anywhere, but guess who has a beta...;)), and StarFox 64 were all EXCELLENT games. They had interesting characters, a cool flight engine, and were all really innovative. SF2 was definitely the best of the bunch, though it looks like Assault is somewhat based on it.

StarFox Assault...eh. I feel it's way WAY too much of a hack-up of StarFox Armada, which was planned to release a while ago. For one, my favourite character, Fara Phoenix, has been REMOVED from the game so they could put that cave-slut Krystal into a flightsuit. WHY? WHY does she knokw how to fly a fighter? WHY has she left her home to go fight for the Conerian army? Why? WHY MUST SHE REPLACE FARA?! Argh...still, the game does look very good, though they manhandled the plot with that. They basically just replaced Fara with Krystal, same script etc. :(

Aron Figaro said:
StarFox Assault...eh. I feel it's way WAY too much of a hack-up of StarFox Armada, which was planned to release a while ago. For one, my favourite character, Fara Phoenix, has been REMOVED from the game so they could put that cave-slut Krystal into a flightsuit. WHY? WHY does she knokw how to fly a fighter? WHY has she left her home to go fight for the Conerian army? Why? WHY MUST SHE REPLACE FARA?! Argh...still, the game does look very good, though they manhandled the plot with that. They basically just replaced Fara with Krystal, same script etc. :(

Well, someone forgot to take his pills.....or maybe took too many of them

Pedro said:
Yes Rogue Leader was superb, I personally was hooked on it until I'd earned every single ace medal
Took me forever to get gold on the last two missions...

Aron Figaro said:
Argh...still, the game does look very good, though they manhandled the plot with that. They basically just replaced Fara with Krystal, same script etc.
Good graphics, I'll agree, but this implies that the story to the game was good, and that the supporting cast is important. It wasn't, and they aren't. The story was just more recycled crap that Nintendo is notorious for. Ganon kidnapped Zelda again...The Princess is in trouble...Everybody's playing golf or a board game. :) The fact is that you could team any pilot or character with Fox and the game would still be Star Fox. The thing that makes these Nintendo-branded games stand out isn't the story, it's the gameplay, and that's why this game missed out on a chance to be another great Nintendo title. If only they'd left those pointless and tedious ground missions out...

A question for your Aron...I won't ask how you got it, but is the beta of Star Fox 2 in your possession complete? I ask because some time ago a friend showed me a ROM of what he said was Star Fox 2, and it was no more than a title screen with single level and a couple of random enemies.

Thanks for the tip RedDuke :cool:

I got to play StarFox 64 for the first time at Christmas of 2002 on the Nintendo 64 belonging to the nephew of my then girlfriend. I was hooked after 5 minutes. We were at her parents house in Los Angeles for a week so I started getting up extra early to play without any interruptions. Her nephew didn't firgure out what I was doing for a couple of days, but then he began to get up early too and insist that I let him take over the game whenever he walked into the room. If I didn't he'd start to cry. Sooooo......about a year ago I bought an exceptionally clean but used N64 off of eBay with StarFox 64, 2 controllers, and 3 other games for $41.00. I always hoped that they would make a worthy successor to the 64's title- it is a great game.

It is not a complete beta. Multiplayer support was never coded, so it's lacking. The menu items flash-appear, then aren't there. It does have a full single-player game, however, and is pretty darn good.

I bought it Monday and have spent a little time experimenting with it. I like what I've seen thus far. The graphics are great, the sound is super, and the ground missions aren't as bad as I would have thought, having based that presumption on what some people have written about them. True, the story is somewhat choppy and recognizable, but I've come to almost expect that in most games of the type I like to play.

I like this game, as I do most with lots of replay value. The story is short, but there's short of 10 other ways to play it through, which is what attracts me to games like this and Yoshi Touch and Go for the Nintendo DS.

Back