Star Citizen Reaches $75 Million! (March 15, 2015)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

Roberts Space Industries has reached another incredible crowdfunding milestone, $75 million! Chris Roberts has largely downplayed the dollar value that they've reached and instead chosen to focus on all of the big things the team at Cloud Imperium Games is doing. They've been furiously working toward the 1.1 release of Star Citizen, which adds more ships, multiplayer options and feature enhancements. The team has also has a very busy traveling schedule. After a big presence at PAX East earlier this month, they are now hosting events at SXSW. While up on stage in Boston, RSI also teased EA with the slide pictured upper right. Last, but not least, they've posted a cool video that interviews their Community Team - with a few familiar faces!

--
Original update published on March 15, 2015

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 1.0 introduced some new stuff, including racing.
It was 1.0 of Arena Commander of course, not SC itself.

So, based on some googling they've decided to call a pre-alpha version 1.1. No risk of confusion there, no.

yep, that's right. As a software developer I cringe a bit every time I read it, but I guess we have to deal with it.

yep, that's right. As a software developer I cringe a bit every time I read it, but I guess we have to deal with it.

I suppose it's better than those people who insist every release is something like version 1.0.1.4 Build 7428.

I suppose it's better than those people who insist every release is something like version 1.0.1.4 Build 7428.

I don't know. That's actually how I do it most of the time. :D
But we could find a compromise. The number they tell us is for marketing purposes anyway I guess. The actual number for the developers use is probably something like 0.8.2.768

I would say: Call it something below 0.9 and add one or two numbers behind it, which the second to last incremented on major changes, the last one on minor ones. Most people can handle it.
Once beta is reached go to 0.9.x.x and on release jump to 1.0.x.x

It's not Star Citizen 1.1 . It's Arena Commander version 1.1 The dogfighting module was considered more or less feature complete for the single player fighters (multicrew ships will be AC2.0). This numbering doesn't count towards whatever version numbers they use for the Persistent universe.

Yeah, I know. Still it is hard to understand for people not familiar how Star Citizen is split in modules.

It's not Star Citizen 1.1 . It's Arena Commander version 1.1 The dogfighting module was considered more or less feature complete for the single player fighters (multicrew ships will be AC2.0). This numbering doesn't count towards whatever version numbers they use for the Persistent universe.

The rebranding Arena Commander as Star Citizen thing is actually a quote from Chris Roberts: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/.../14589-Letter-From-The-Chairman-11-And-Beyond

"But perhaps the single most important thing about 1.1 is that it’s Star Citizen and not Arena Commander.: With 1.1, we’re doing a lot behind the scenes to set up rapid expansion that you’ll see over the next few months as we add Star Marine and the social module to the Star Citizen experience. You’ll still see plenty of changes and enhancements to Arena Commander, which forms the basis for our spaceflight system, but I now see us building the full game out in many directions."

Last edited:
Ah, yeah. I saw the confusion this was making elsewhere. I'm not entirely sure why they're going to keep the patching number from AC when they already switched Patch numbers when Arena Commander came out.

Back