Star Citizen computer question

Silent Hunter

Rear Admiral
This may be in the wrong forum - feel free to move it.

Is there any currently available laptop that can run the game with the currently planned specs?

Like this one? In German its around 1300 Euro. I think in Dollar they should be the same.

Perhaps you want to buy it on console ^^ Not the MS and Sony crap :D - This one:
http://kotaku.com/5966860/gabe-newell-living-room-pcs-will-compete-with-next+gen-consoles?tag=valve
Valve making next year a PC as a Console. Lets see if the specs match with Star Citizen.

Controller will be like this:
valve-controller-design_0.jpg

You can change the controll options - Trackball, Touchpad, Analog-Stick or Digi-Pad? Strategy? Flightsim? Adventure? Shooter? Sportgame? You choose like you want to play it ;)

Not a fan of the "valve-pc"(rather assemble and tweak systems myself), but I do like the controller!

Chris Roberts has been demoing the game on an Alienware laptop. I'm sure I'll be buying a laptop or PC-in-a-box Console for the game. I'll be surprised if I ever buy a regular desktop ever again.

I built my rig from parts ordered on newegg. I figure that I may have to update the graphics card, but I have tonnes of CPU power and RAM so I think I probably would have to spend less than $200 to upgrade for best performance.

If I can run mechwarrior online on high - I can run star citizen right? actually only have intel core 2 extreme and gtx 280 but runs mechwarrior pretty good. may have to upgrade a little

I'll admit that I'm so far out of the loop as far as computer specs go these days that it's bordering on the pathetic...I'm running a 2.9 GHz dual-core with 1 GB of onboard RAM. I know I'll need to install a graphics card - I'm using the onboard chip at the moment, which has the performance characteristics of an nVidia GeForce 7200 (some Byzantine crap to say the least). Don't know if I'll have sufficient firepower otherwise; might have to up the onboard memory.

A GeForce 420 or better should be able to run the game, and you'll have to boost your RAM to at least four gigabytes.

I figured I'd have to boost the RAM up. Probably all told I'm looking at about $500 worth of upgrades, which IIRC was about the amount I originally paid for my Win7 box (a bare-bones system that still had more firepower than my XP box...).

I'll admit that I'm so far out of the loop as far as computer specs go these days that it's bordering on the pathetic...I'm running a 2.9 GHz dual-core with 1 GB of onboard RAM. I know I'll need to install a graphics card - I'm using the onboard chip at the moment, which has the performance characteristics of an nVidia GeForce 7200 (some Byzantine crap to say the least). Don't know if I'll have sufficient firepower otherwise; might have to up the onboard memory.

Don't feel bad Capi, I'm running a 9 year old P4 3.0 Northwood with 2 GB of RAM and a Geforce 7600 GS that I bought so I could run Wing Commander Saga and Prophecy Hi-res. The last PC games I purchased were Civilization 4 and Neverwinter Nights. After the Wing Commander series ended I just didn't need big hardware anymore.

Once again, Chris Roberts is driving my hardware upgrades! Yea, I already started my next computer fund: Ivy bridge, I7 and GTX660, here I come!

It's pointless to develop a system now for a game that wont even have an alpha build till the end of the year at best. New deals are up every week. Plus you may be able to afford better based on a current budget. A $250 video card now will not be as awesome as a $250 video card 10 months from now. Hell, you may want to scale higher later then what you can afford now.

In short, budget for your new hardware but refrain from any purchases till we get closer to Star Citizen's final specs. Only buy hardware now if you feel you need to upgrade for current games, not future ones. Your buck will travel much further in value and longevity.

The last PC I built for a Chris Roberts game lasted 8 years before I NEEDED any new hardware. Only upgrade it got was one 9800 GX2 till I went x64. Been using a 560 Ti for 3 years and it still kicks ass. Bear in mind I don't use antialiasing. My AMD 9950 BE is still kicking ass with a mild 3 ghz overclock.

If you NEED better gear now for now games go for it. Otherwise save your money, it'll go farther and faster a year from now.

I may have to wait - my wife nixed the idea of computer upgrades when I brought it up. Bad omen; for several reasons I suspect this year's tax return is going to be the highest amount we're going to get for a while. I might still not have the cash when the time comes, and that would just be depressing...

I was quite curious about this. I keep my PC up to date, but I know a few old-school gamers who keep their gaming rigs equally as old-school... Wonder if star citizen will be the game that can coax them out of their habits to upgrade

*edit* Also, forgot to mention. The specs are looking to be quite high, especially as the CryEngine is being used so you're looking at a pretty high end laptop... Now, if we were talking PC, you could cover it for half the price of the laptop.

Interesting posts on the tablets by the way. Keeping an eye on how far they progress.
It would be brilliant to play star citizen on the train...although i'd have to find a way to remind myself to get off...

I was quite curious about this. I keep my PC up to date, but I know a few old-school gamers who keep their gaming rigs equally as old-school... Wonder if star citizen will be the game that can coax them out of their habits to upgrade

*edit* Also, forgot to mention. The specs are looking to be quite high, especially as the CryEngine is being used so you're looking at a pretty high end laptop... Now, if we were talking PC, you could cover it for half the price of the laptop.

I'm the guy you are talking about. I've been using the same PC for 9 years. Since the last Wing Commander game was Prophecy in 1998, I've never needed more. But I will have to build a new system specifically to run Star Citizen, and will have to do it for around $700 US.

If Chris follows the Origin Systems philosophy - it will require a top of the line system to run. Remember Origin's penchant for designing games that essentially needed a next-gen system to really run. Their recommended specs were really more like minimum specs.

Yep. Y'all and be sure and tell me what an awesome game it is when the time comes. Maybe twenty years from now when it's on sale at GOG and everyone's stopped playing, I might be able to afford the necessary computer upgrades and finally take that free Aurora I've got sitting in the hangar out for a spin.

(Man, even I think that sounds overly pessimistic).

You've still got another year at least Capi. Maybe 2013's tax return will be a better one. All my money is in medical debt, so I'm equally screwed for upgrades. Besides, by the time I can afford upgrades the ones that are new now will be older and therefore cheaper, hopefully. Best to wait till 2014 in my humble opinion, Alpha or no.

Back