Standoff Scims and Ferrets!

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Actually, the Scim is just a re-textured version of the UE model... I felt that adding Scims to Standoff would add some nice variety to the mod, and what the heck, texturing only takes a couple days so I decided to do it. Thanks to the UE guys for letting me use their (great looking and nicely weld together) model!

scm.jpg

And here's the new Ferret, with Perry-coloured markings (this reminds me... either Perry isn't really a naval base, or the concept of "navy-blue" will change quite a lot in the next 500 years :p)

frt.jpg

Suggestions are welcome. Except the ones that have already been suggested ;)

--Eder
PS: I apologize if the large images give someone's connection a hard time... I get that a lot too with my crappy dial-up 'net access so I know how much it sucks!
PPS: LOAF, can you please get me some Dorkathi renders? Or maybe a P1 Kamekh? Those are next in my modelling queue...

The only word I can think of is "nyaaaaa..." :D

One thing tho: Scims are OLD craft. They were due for replacement by the Rapier I's in WC1. Can they compete with even more "modern" Cat fighters? Heck, even WC2 fighters?

hey looking good

the only thing that comes to mind is the Scimitars colors

around the cockpit the green and white clashes with eachother and in my eyes it looks wrong

Originally posted by SpacedOutDragon
One thing tho: Scims are OLD craft. They were due for replacement by the Rapier I's in WC1. Can they compete with even more "modern" Cat fighters? Heck, even WC2 fighters?

Even though they were still around and still being widely used all the way through the end of WC1, they were due for replacement alright... on a front line strike carrier like the Tiger's Claw. I don't think they scrapped all of Confed's Scims at that time... they probably retired them gradually, leaving some of them around the areas in which there wasn't much action for some more years.

And the best Kilrathi fighters in Standoff are the Jalthi, Krant, and Hhriss... which are all WC1 fighters. Anyway, nobody will have to worry about this, since only the AI will fly Scims :)

As for the colours around the cockpit, if you mean the front part, then that's because of a bad lightning angle... If you mean the actual cockpit and the part behind it, then, well, I better go try to fix it :p

--Eder

Originally posted by Eder

As for the colours around the cockpit, if you mean the front part, then that's because of a bad lightning angle... If you mean the actual cockpit and the part behind it, then, well, I better go try to fix it :p

--Eder

Good job on 'em... :)

1) One question: Why is it the gun barrels (and the engine nacelles in the Scim) are (hexagonal/octagonal?) in cross section, rather than round?...

2) Well, alright, two questions, then: What proggy do you use to create/edit these ships?.

2) "bad lightning angle"?... You mean there'z lightning in space? Yikes!;)

Originally posted by Preacher
1) One question: Why is it the gun barrels (and the engine nacelles in the Scim) are (hexagonal/octagonal?) in cross section, rather than round?...

2) Well, alright, two questions, then: What proggy do you use to create/edit these ships?.

2) "bad lightning angle"?... You mean there'z lightning in space? Yikes!

1) Because like I said, the folks at UE made the model and sent it to me, I merely re-textured it... and their models aren't hideously overfaced like mine :p

2) I do the modelling in Rhino3D with occasional help from TrueSpace3. The textures I do in Adobe Photoshop 4, and any last minute fine-tuning (if needed) is done in Paint Shop Pro 4, but simply because it loads 10 times faster than Adobe <G>

2) (Who taught you how to count? The Monty Python guys? Nah... in that case this would be number 5 ;)) Damn, I always misspell that word! Anyway, there sure is lighting in TrueSpace :)

--Eder

Another possible explanation for the hexagonal engines/lasers would be to lower the polygon count. Cylinders can add a lot of extra polys when hexagons or even cubes could be used.

Originally posted by Magnum
Another possible explanation for the hexagonal engines/lasers would be to lower the polygon count. Cylinders can add a lot of extra polys when hexagons or even cubes could be used.

That's not "another" explanation, it's the same as the one in my post, only in different words.

The model was done by the UE team, not me. They care about polycount, I don't. If I get the time, I'll do a new Scim model, but I probably won't. That simple, really :)

--Eder

Hey, great work again, Eder. Although, I don't like the new 'dirty' look on the textures, but that's just my personal preference. I liked the squeaky clean textures from before, but that's just me. :) Other than that, it's looking good as usual, even with the low-poly Scimitar.

Originally posted by SpacedOutDragon
...due for replacement by the Rapier I's in WC1...
Um, just to be picky, I believe the WCM Rapiers are considered Rapier MkI, the Rapiers in WC1/2 are Rapier MkII.

Lets hope that I still have some free time after finishing the main aspects of the mod, then I'll make a higher-res Scim model, and maybe add some other ships for variety's sake.

--Eder

Same Mark, different versions. The WC1 Rapier is F-44A, the WC2 Rapier is F-44G. The numbers are just off the top of my head, so I could be wrong, but the letters should be right.

Well, if you wanna be picky and\or can't remember the Rapier model numbers, then the I is the Rapier II Mk. I and then the Rapier II Mk. II, respectively.

Guh? The Rapier II is short for Rapier Mark II. So to say Rapier II Mk I would be to say Rapier Mark II Mark I. No sense!

In any case, there were a few revisions and small upgrades in the decade or so between WC1 and WC2.

BTW, Bob, I know it's not my place to say as such, but your sig has plenty of lines in it.

The roman numeral designates an entirely different spacecraft... both the fighter in WC1 and the fighter in WC2 are called Rapier II. They're full name is the F-44 Rapier II... with the WC1 service variant being the F-44A Rapier II and the WC2 being the F-44G Rapier II. (The prototypes flown earlier in WC1 would have been the YF-44A Rapier II).

That's some mightily nice work there, Eder. BTW, strictly speaking the UE team didn't make the Scim model - Wildcat just texturised it. The model itself was originally made by the XWATC folks. It's come a long way to get into Standoff :).

And yes, SpacedOutDragon, Scims are essentially junk... but we love them anyway (well, fifty percent of us loves them, the other fifty percent hates them with a passion ;)).

Originally posted by Quarto
And yes, SpacedOutDragon, Scims are essentially junk... but we love them anyway (well, fifty percent of us loves them, the other fifty percent hates them with a passion ;)).

I'm among the ones who love it, and I'm damn proud of it :D

--Eder

Really, 50/50? Strangely enough, I find myself on the fence about the Scimitar - while I'm happy that it's retired by SM2 (only to be replaced by the Dralthi), and the fact that it has poor handling, those mass drivers pack some heavy damage. Hmm, much like the Ferret, but slower.

Well, 50/50 is an estimate. Undoubtedly it's wrong, but well, that's roughly the numbers in every conversation I'd seen so far. Of course, the Scim-haters would have probably been very disappointed by its replacement ;).

Back