Standoff needs YOU!

Eder

Mr. Standoff
We're trying to fix a couple of bugs in our simulator missions that could be very annoying when you're on your way to getting a high score... and we need your guys to help us with that.

The first problem is that sometimes, on certain machines, the game crashes at the start of a new wave in the gauntlets. We haven't figured out a good way to reproduce that bug, so we don't know how to fix it. What we need from you guys is that anyone who experiences one of these crashes gives us a bit of information on under which conditions the crash has happened:
- Your system specs (Processor, memory, video card, version of Windows)
- Your Standoff launcher settings (Resolution, color bits, fighter/capship/asteroid viewing distances)
- When did it crash (as in, at the start of which waves?)

That'll allow us to see if there's anything in common between the different systems which experience this crash, which is the first step in trying to fix it.

I'll let Pierre inform you guys about the other bug a few hours from now when he logs on, because it's mission-related and he can probably explain it better than me.

Basically, some scores in the database have been corrupted and we'd like to ask you avid sim players out there to test a small patch for a few days. This has only affected 4 scores out of a whole lot that have been submitted so far... so we need a lot of people testing it over a period of a few days before we can be sure that no other corrupted entries will be generated by the game.

We don't normally do this, but these two bugs are hard to be tracked down unless we have a relatively large number of test runs (so just internal testing won't be enough for this).

Right. I cooked up a small (148 kb) patch to try to solve a problem where in rare occasions the score is submitted without it's proper "ship flown" value. As such scores are automaticly discarded it can be, as Eder said, annoying when making an high score. It occured only 4 times yet, but that's 4 times too much.

I'd want the guys who submited a bunch of scores already (and new players, too) to install that patch now and to report here once it's installed (including date/hour of when it has been installed). And of course after having installed the patch, you have to submit scores again.

I believe I nailed the bug down, but I wanna make sure before we make wide announcements of the patch.

I ran into a bug while playing the Kilrathi Gauntlet, but it isn't game stopping. Occasionally, i'll get a Krant that has no shields and the HUD lable says its a Sartha. It has happened twice, just thought i'd let you know.

Great job by the way!

Fatcat said:
I ran into a bug while playing the Kilrathi Gauntlet, but it isn't game stopping. Occasionally, i'll get a Krant that has no shields and the HUD lable says its a Sartha. It has happened twice, just thought i'd let you know.

This has only been mentioned six or seven times before.:p
Like in this thread.

first time it happened to me.
I was flying and Epee, on the Kilrathi Guantlet.

- Your system specs (Processor, memory, video card, version of Windows)
AMD Athlon 950 MHz, 256MB, G-force 2 MX Nvidia 32MB, Windows XP sp2

- Your Standoff launcher settings (Resolution, color bits, fighter/capship/asteroid viewing distances)
800x600, 32 bit colors, "Increased fighter visability"-On, Capship "viewing distance"-100, "asteroid viewing distance"-center (default setting)

- When did it crash (as in, at the start of which waves?)
The game crush while waiting for wave 3 (the last ship I killed on wave 2 was a Krant, just in case it matters)

Patch installed

I installed it around 15 minutes ago; I'll give the gauntlet another go around in an hour or so.

AMD athlon 64 3400+, 1GB ram, radeon x800xt SB audigy 2 zs, winXP

Flying morningstar after quickkill at start of third wave in mission 1 crashed to desktop

I'lll try the patch tommorow

AD, can you please tell me your Standoff launcher settings (asteroid distances, etc) as well?

We have had no more occurrences of "invalid ship types" in the database, so the patch might be working... but the problem was so rare to begin with, I think we should wait a bit more until we make that patch official.

Eder said:
We have had no more occurrences of "invalid ship types" in the database, so the patch might be working... but the problem was so rare to begin with, I think we should wait a bit more until we make that patch official.
The problem occured this morning with Dyret, who did not have installed the patch yet. He said he installed it now.

Lazy Panda said:
Since you are talking about bugs, is it intended that Kilrathi fighters have no collision size?
They do have collision shperes, but we haven't been able to figure out why this happends. Might be some Vision limitation; this only seems to be happening when there's lots of ships around; our ships are much more complex than the original WCP ones polygon-wise, and some uses more textures.

In short we're still investigating it, but it might turn out we can't fix it.

Yeah. Notice that the Kilrathi collision thing only happens in some missions, and it doesn't always happen with the same ships... sometimes you can fly through one of them, other times you can't fly through any of them.

Eder said:
AD, can you please tell me your Standoff launcher settings (asteroid distances, etc) as well?

Sorry about that... I knew I forgot to include something...

16bit (32 bit crashes at outset as expected for ati cards) 1024x768, Increased fighter visibility checked, both sliders maxed, and avoid sound skip checked.

Ran the patched program through the gauntlet a few times, and it seemed to work fine.

I almost made it through in an Epee (strange...I hated that ship in WC2). I ended up starting the last wave with no armor, 56% damage and, worst of all, no AB fuel. But I did take one of them down with me; didn't see that Dart coming, heh heh.

Speaking of the Epee, I had another wierd bug... unless it's supposed to do that: The refire rate seemed messed up. On a full charge I was only getting one or two shots off then having to wait to refire - 2 or more seconds at times. The morningstar, which has the same guns - just one more of them - didnt have this problem right after. And the Drakhri seem to refire WAY to fast, lasers or not.

AD said:
Speaking of the Epee, I had another wierd bug... unless it's supposed to do that: The refire rate seemed messed up. On a full charge I was only getting one or two shots off then having to wait to refire - 2 or more seconds at times. The morningstar, which has the same guns - just one more of them - didnt have this problem right after.
Dunno about that, but the Epee probably does have a smaller gun capacitator than the Morningstar. I'm away from my computer at the moment, though, so it'll be a while before I can check if what you're reporting is normal, or if it's some kind of freaky accident on your computer.

And the Drakhri seem to refire WAY to fast, lasers or not.
It only seems that way because they're shooting at you :p. Try the Tarsus - honestly, when I finally tried playing it, I was hugely impressed - sure, it took one laser blast (or close to that) to kill you, but you could also kill a Sartha before it could even get a shot off, thanks to the fast refire and huge range. I almost regretted that we rearmed the Hornet... and then I remembered that it wouldn't've made a difference, since the Hornet can't actually hit anything with its wide guns :D.

Quarto said:
It only seems that way because they're shooting at you :p. Try the Tarsus - honestly, when I finally tried playing it, I was hugely impressed - sure, it took one laser blast (or close to that) to kill you, but you could also kill a Sartha before it could even get a shot off, thanks to the fast refire and huge range. I almost regretted that we rearmed the Hornet... and then I remembered that it wouldn't've made a difference, since the Hornet can't actually hit anything with its wide guns :D.

Hehehe... Thats what I like about the broadsword too... Tough armor and you can kill hornets before they can fire. Sarthas are toast with even fewer shots. But its a little slow. any more that 2 Drakhri spells almost instant death in the Broadsword for some reason and I don't think it should be that way. I remember their guns being syncronized with a slower refire in wc2. The crossbow fairs slightly better with its speed advantage cause you can almost manoever behind the drakhri's without getting too banged up. Seriously though, using the same ships I can always get at least twice as far in mission two almost entirely because of the Drakhri's

Hmm, well, I guess it may be that the Drakhri do fire faster than they did... IIRC, all guns had the same refire rate in WC2, but they don't in Standoff. So, it might be that the lasers ended up faster than they used to be. They'll stay that way, though, so you'll have to get used to killer Drakhri :D.

Back