Standoff has heads that talk.

What did you do? Thanks to you I'll never fall asleep till the Standoff will be released released. You have ruined my sleep...!

Oh, and one more thing: Good work. The Standoff really seems to be worth waiting.

Fruitcake said:
You guys should get payed for this. Same goes for the Saga team, too.
You know, I don't think I have any objections to this :p. Send money for the entire team to me, though. I'll, uh, make sure it gets distributed fairly :D.

How about some cameo's of WC-characters? Like Tolwyn?
Tolwyn is a very, very difficult one. IIRC, originally Eder planned to have a one-line cameo for Tolwyn (based on a comm message he sent to everyone in FA). But it's just not possible to do it - Malcolm McDowell is irreplaceable. We could get somebody to record the line and even try to impersonate him, but it just wouldn't sound right, IMO (of course, Eder might have a different opinion on this - it's been several months since we discussed it).

But as for other WC characters, yes, there will be one or two cameos.

Well, if *I* had something to say over at EA Games... :p

Quarto said:
Malcolm McDowell is irreplaceable.

I think I can do a very good Tolwyn impersonation. Maybe I could send you a few lines, if you want to.

Wedge009 said:
Wow. A Quine 4000?
Close - a Quine 2000. :p

Quarto said:
Hehe, of all the things you could possibly ask about, you choose ask about Bradshaw's computer? :p
Come on, that's a good model :p

Quarto said:
IIRC, Eder was going to make it an older model because it doesn't look quite like the Priv machine...
Other way around: I made it to look like a smaller version of Priv's Quine, so then I couldn't tag the same name on it... so I downgraded the number.

Shipgate said:
Where did you get the faces from?
That varies. Some were submissions (Spoons uses Lynx's mugshot), some I created based on pieces of random or not-so-random people's pictures (Bradshaw, for example).

Starkey said:
And I must say that space has never looked so beautiful in WC. Congratulations on those backgrounds!!
Kuddos still go to Thomas Ganshorn on that. Those are the planets he made for us when the mod started, and one of his nebulae as well. The nebulae never made it into the game because they didn't tile correctly, and he left the team before he had time to fix them, IIRC.

Quarto said:
By the way, this might be a good time to point out that without Sphynx, we wouldn't even have Sparrow (our female lead), let alone any secondary female roles like the tech officer you see in the screenshots below. Once we actually have end credits, Sphynx, you can be sure you'll be in the 'special thanks' section :cool:.
Indeed. The scenes may have been done by me, but I wouldn't even have tried to make those in the first place if it hadn't been made possible by the people in charge of the voiceovers.

Fruitcake said:
I think I can do a very good Tolwyn impersonation. Maybe I could send you a few lines, if you want to.
Send them to Tempest (rileyrock at hotmail.com). I can't be bothered to look up the line we specifically wanted, but IIRC, it's something along the lines of "This is Tolwyn. Good luck and good hunting."

There should be a Paypal "Donate" button on the site. :>

Now that I actually have some semi-decent funds I was thinking of donating however much I could spare to the Standoff team.

No, no. I know I speak for all of us when I say this was never about money. And as soon as money is taken, it's no longer legal for us to produce it I believe, due to the fact that we're making money of the SO engine. So I'm pretty sure that's a big no-no.

And sure Fruitcake, send them my way and I'll have a listen.

And, to also jump on the bandwagon, I'd like to give Sphynx my thanks for all his aid, too. Not only did he bring us a lot of great voice-over artists, and is one himself, he's also a great guy who really helped me out and contributed a lot.

There are always inofficial ways for helping poor overworked modders, like black suitcases which are left at a convenient location. :p

Yep. As much as we like to joke about accepting money, we really couldn't do it. It would compromise our position as a not-for-profit fan project.

(but Lynx is right - I'm quite willing to accept black suitcases left outside my door. No plastic explosives or anthrax however, please - cash will be just fine)

Eder said:
That varies. Some were submissions (Spoons uses Lynx's mugshot), some I created based on pieces of random or not-so-random people's pictures (Bradshaw, for example).

Damn, I shoulda put my face into the project earlier. I look absolutely nothing like Freyers. And, when you hear my voice, I don't really sound like he looks. Maybe you should re-do the Freyers face to resemble my mug. All you'd have to do is make the hair darker and the face wider.

Pics of me that my gf saw fit to put on her website. ::WARNING!:: I'm a fat scottish bastard. Don't be expecting anything pretty.

Man, you guys are making me blush! ;) It's nice to be appreciated. I don't know much about programming, but when it comes to recruiting and voice acting, I do know a thing or two. I just wanted to contribute in some way and take the load off of the rest of you hard-working guys out there. Anyways, thanks, and I'll keep up the work on my end.

There's just two words to describe this waiting period: pleasant insomnia.

You know, I orignially got WC2 with all the add-ons for Christmas. I'm totally having flashbacks of that, since this WC2 era project will launch the prologue the week of Christmas. I was thrilled to unwrap that old WC2, and must have read every word on the box 40 times over by the time my family was done opening presents. So, this is a nice little trip down memory lane.

Good memories.

Oh, and if Cougar doesn't have a face yet (assuming he's going to get one), I could try to send you a picture of me if that would make things easier on you.

Tolwyn said:
Btw, any chance to see non-interlaced screens?
We have a little problem with our "Interlaced videos" options menu button at the moment. I'd have to copy a file over from UE, which I don't have installed right now. :p

Sphynx said:
Oh, and if Cougar doesn't have a face yet (assuming he's going to get one), I could try to send you a picture of me if that would make things easier on you.
If you do, we'll get you a role, but I can't promise it will be Cougar. He's a major character, so I've had a look planned for him for a long time (just never got around to making a face). There will be at least a couple more wingmen with talking heads for the other episodes (depends on the availability of the voice actors as well), as well as a whole bunch of comm officers that will need faces for their in-flight comm videos.

overmortal said:
Damn, I shoulda put my face into the project earlier. I look absolutely nothing like Freyers.
Freyers face is Thomas Ganshorn's. He sent me his mug when he was in the team. Same deal as for Sphynx applies here, I can get you another role (which obviously won't be as big, though, since Freyers is Standoff's most reocurring face :p).

Okay, since you've had Cougar's look already planned, I won't mess it up for you by imposing my face :D . I can't wait to see it! But, if you need more faces, I'll donate mine for the good of the many.

Do you need a picture with a neutral expression, or would a smiling picture work?

Eder said:
I can get you another role (which obviously won't be as big, though, since Freyers is Standoff's most reocurring face :p).

Ah, I can handle it. Though, it'd be wierd to see my face with someone else's voice. But, oh well. Anything to help the project out!

Sphynx said:
Do you need a picture with a neutral expression, or would a smiling picture work?
Neutral expression, as straight-on as possible, and preferrably (but not necessarily) a profile view as well. That's why we don't have dozens of faces already. :p

Looks great..

Dumb question:
(From someone who should know better)
Is there some secret to getting SecretOps to run under XP? (ATI card)

I tried setting the video selection to "Direct3D" but still no dice..

And I'm too lazy to actually try and figure it out.. : (

Yes, there is a small trick to it - SO really doesn't like XP, so you have to set it to run in Win98 compatibility mode.

Back