Standoff Episode 3 Released! (January 8, 2006)

yeah but I know when they fire it.

If you take your after burner and fly throug the hole fleet, they will fire their Dumpfires and never hit you... mostly^^

And i was never hit with my Epee by a Dumpfire^^

Quarto said:
11 Sartha? :eek: That's 11 dumbfires, ready to be delivered any time, any where. Seriously, I get nervous with just one Sartha around, the only other Kilrathi fighter that scares me as much as the Sartha is the Drakhri (...because it also has dumbfires :p).

...The irony being, of course, that these ships sucked in WC2. Yet, we didn't change these ships' armaments or anything else.. and they ended up being the deadliest cats in space.

Same thing with the Epee, it seems, except thats it's on Confed's side.

By the way, I've been trying the alternate path, but got stuck on the mission where you enconuter the stealth fighter. It just flies away after uncloaking the third time and the mission doesn't progress.

Lazy Panda said:
Same thing with the Epee, it seems, except thats it's on Confed's side.
...Except that the Epee never sucked, unlike those two :p.

By the way, I've been trying the alternate path, but got stuck on the mission where you enconuter the stealth fighter. It just flies away after uncloaking the third time and the mission doesn't progress.
No, you're not stuck - just bad at following orders, that's all :p. Keep chasing him. Any time he reappears, you get right on his tail, and when he disappears, continue to where you last saw him. As Freyers said, take him out :).

The Epee was the best light Fighter ever!!!!

And I think i found a bug.

I tried to hde behind the rocks... but the enemy Missels fly throug the rock, that isn't fair ^^

But you are Right, I hate the Sartha is the Drakhri- In WC II they were really easy.
I think the KI was much softer to the Gamer in old times^^

But the Jalkehi and the Gothri are preatty easy. In WC II they were the hardest enemy IMO.

Besides I don't know why, but I can't handel the Mass Driver wepons. I never hit with the Ferret or Stiletto. I don't know why.

Besides I don't know why, but I can't handel the Mass Driver wepons. I never hit with the Ferret or Stiletto. I don't know why.

You've just gotta get really close; you don't have the range or projecile speed of most weapons, and the low damage output means you've gotta get a few shots in for it to matter.

Here's a question for y'all: can the amazing software you developed to make Standoff talk to the CIC be applied to regular Secret Ops? It'd be amazing to be able to have a scoreboard for the original set of 'Sim missions from Wing Commander Prophecy too.

I second that idea.

I think the Vision engine is a bit biased for light fighters being dangerous PROVIDED they have the armaments to kill you... the slow refire of the Prophecy guns minimized this but having a Sartha dump it's entire capacitor bank into your armor before you can scramble out of the way is an experience that makes you respect them greatly... and one of the buggers can tie you up for way too long if the pilot can dodge. If you can catch it you can kill it... but good luck catching it.

Bandit LOAF said:
Here's a question for y'all: can the amazing software you developed to make Standoff talk to the CIC be applied to regular Secret Ops? It'd be amazing to be able to have a scoreboard for the original set of 'Sim missions from Wing Commander Prophecy too.
I'm not sure if we're capable of decompiling the original WCP missions to an useable format so that we can add the "referee" functions (the ones that keep track of all the scoring data) to them.

So, while a scoreboard patch would work for WCP and SO, it might only work with missions made from scratch. I'll let someone that knows more about this try to explain it better.

Chernikov said:
I second that idea.

I think the Vision engine is a bit biased for light fighters being dangerous PROVIDED they have the armaments to kill you... the slow refire of the Prophecy guns minimized this but having a Sartha dump it's entire capacitor bank into your armor before you can scramble out of the way is an experience that makes you respect them greatly... and one of the buggers can tie you up for way too long if the pilot can dodge. If you can catch it you can kill it... but good luck catching it.

If you have long-range guns (particle will do) you can kill a Sartha head on before they hurt you. And it's weak against FF missiles because it has no decoys, in fact, that seems to be the only use for those things.

Bandit LOAF said:
Eder said:
I'm not sure if we're capable of decompiling the original WCP missions to an useable format so that we can add the "referee" functions (the ones that keep track of all the scoring data) to them.

So, while a scoreboard patch would work for WCP and SO, it might only work with missions made from scratch. I'll let someone that knows more about this try to explain it better.

You got it right, Eder. Although I could incorporate the necessary functions to allow the scoreboard to work into HCl's WCP Hi-Res patch, the mission themselves have to be altered to manage the score stuff, so I'd need some source code to alter and recompile. Thomas Bruckner had started working on a mission decompiler, but ended up giving up on it, AFAIK.

So in short, as Eder said, it could currently only be done with missions made from scratch.

Would anyone be interested in a scoreboard being implemented in Unknown Enemy, though ? That should be relatively easy.

the mission themselves have to be altered to manage the score stuff

Well, with the current Standoff scoreboard implementation, yes, the missions need to be altered so you can invoke the necessary functions from mission code. However, by tweaking the EXE a bit, it is possible to invoke the transmission routines on the sim code itself. This way no mission editing is necessary.

I am currently working on the next version of the WCP High-res patch, so i can include scoreboard functionality there for all 10 missions without much difficulty.

Mario

HCl said:
Well, with the current Standoff scoreboard implementation, yes, the missions need to be altered so you can invoke the necessary functions from mission code. However, by tweaking the EXE a bit, it is possible to invoke the transmission routines on the sim code itself. This way no mission editing is necessary.

I am currently working on the next version of the WCP High-res patch, so i can include scoreboard functionality there for all 10 missions without much difficulty.

Mario

Haha, awesome! :)

HCl said:

Hehe, wow, that would be yet another incredible achievement HCl.

I never played the UE sim. Is it much different than the Standoff one?

ChrisReid said:
I never played the UE sim. Is it much different than the Standoff one?
Well, apart from the gauntlets wich are exactly the same as Standoff's (but with different ships), all the other UE sim missions are very different from Standoff's.

HCl said:
Mario

Take care that you also introduce anti cheat measures that way - like the ones in effect for the Standoff Sim.

I'm wondering if there's any protection against someone just writing some network app that talks to the web server directly, writing bogus scores, completely bypassing standoff. Don't think anyone would stoop that low, though.

We've tried covering every way of cheating, including that. But yeah, I don't think anyone would stoop that low.

Just a precision here: when I say we, I mean HCl and I. HCl was involved in the original Standoff scoreboard; he took care of building part of the anti-tampering mesures to prevent cheating.

Almost everytime we make some engine enhancement to Standoff, you can bet HCl is not too far. Giving hints and ideas, researching an EXE adress for us to patch or even buidling the patches himself. Even the few patches we've been able to cook up without his help he is aware of. Everything :p.

A great big "EYCHARISTO" from a greek who has been AWOL from standoff for far too long.

Allready it looks great, I can't imagine what will happen once it is completed.

Probably noone will play WC2 anymore. :D

Back