Standoff Episode 3 Released! (January 8, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
The wait is over! The Standoff Team has delivered another exciting chapter of their Secret Ops mod. Fans with Standoff Episodes 1&2 already installed can grab the 80 megabyte Episode 3 here. New users or people with just Episode 1 should grab the 200 megabyte complete package here. Return to the TCS Firekka during one of the Confederation's greatest times of need. Whether players have a role in the historic Battle of Warsaw or instead get stuck behind enemy lines depends on their performance in Episode 2. You'll have to play through today's release more than once to see all of its fifteen missions. Visit the Standoff Forums to compare notes with fellow fans and ask any questions that come up. Have fun!
It's good to see projects like Standoff have inspired other fans to start their own projects and help keep Wing Commander alive. Our sincerest thanks to all of our fans - and this time, more than just thanks on a webpage, we hope you all find Episode 3 to be a worthy "thank you" message.

--
Original update published on January 8, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
Huzzah

Downloading now, can't wait to play.

Keep up the great work, Standoff team, and you too ChrisReid and the rest of WC CIC.

very nice

i started playing the campaign about 25 minutes ago, and i really enjoy it , keep up the good work guys; it keeps getting better with each release.

one question though, was the speed of the missles changed at all, because they seem slower (to the point where i can nearly catch them with full afterburners on)

now i must go, job application and then more standoff.

thanks guys,
-brad

poopnoodle said:
one question though, was the speed of the missles changed at all, because they seem slower (to the point where i can nearly catch them with full afterburners on)
Nope, no changes at all. Those are probably Pilum FFs, they've always been that slow.

I'm happy! Watchin' Standoff finish downloading while I made this post (less than a minute) thank God for University internet speed.

I'll take a few practice runs but I have every intention of seeing I can complete botht the Confed and Kilrathi Gauntlets (will you still have the bunny song at the end of the aforementioned gauntlet or will that be removed by Ep. 3?)

Chicken said:
I'll take a few practice runs but I have every intention of seeing I can complete botht the Confed and Kilrathi Gauntlets (will you still have the bunny song at the end of the aforementioned gauntlet or will that be removed by Ep. 3?)
Well, they're not just cute like everyone supposes.

I just want to say episode 3 is awesome, and the new leaderboards are great! I guess I don't suck quite as bad as I thought I would compared to the oldskool wingnuts here. Hopefully, I'll get a good wraith score up (without crashing), since that seems to be the current top dog, even with the penalty. Or maybe I'll practice with the morningstar a bit... I did pretty good in my one run with that. Its got everything I really need: decent speed, afterburner, good guns, and a good missile loadout. And its shielded like a bomber! Jeez!

I knew there was a reason I always played on nightmare! Take that Dave!

Yeah the Morning star is a great Ship, but i wish it would have more Fuel my Afterburner are really thursty.

But I think the Wraith is a bit too stong. You can fly with your Afterburner without Limits and you will get never Fuel Problems.

But perhaps I am just getting old. I have to practice some more and fly with the Epee. I love this ship. Small and deadly.
There is only one Problem... this Ship needs more FUEL ^^

Hehe, I think once people start seriously playing with the Rapier and Epee, you'll find the Wraith isn't as incredibly great at staying on top of the charts as it seems right now. If you can manage to get to wave eleven (i.e., the second refuel) with one of those ships, you're nearly guaranteed to outscore the Wraith.

On the note of fuel, I once survived all of wave nine with the Epee in spite of running out of fuel at the end of wave eight. I then went on to nearly survive wave ten, but unfortunately all it takes is one dumbfire :p. Sadly, all this was long before the scoring system was implemented, so I don't know what kind of score I would have received... though it must be said, ever since the scoring system's addition, I haven't been able to get as far as I used to, simply because sometimes to keep a chain of multi-kills going, you have to sacrifice your forward armour... and, you know, your guns, and eventually your ship :p.

You are right;)

If i could get to wave 11 with a Morningstar, Rapier or Epee i would get a lot of points.

The Problem is... i have no fuel at wave 10.

But you are right. I have to learn how i can save ful at wave 6 - 10 so I can get the second reful.

But as you say....
If you want to kill very fast, you have to take big risks. If you want to kill many waves, you have to fly without flying into the front cannons of your enemy.

It will take some time, but I love my Epee. I will take it, I will beat the Wraith ^^

P.S.
In Wing Commander Armada I hate the Wraith. I could not fly this thing. I wasn't abel to shoot any of the Kilrathi.
But here this ship is a dream. I wish my Epee had so much fuel ^^

But you may live to get the next rearmament. 2 or 3 Kilrathi crashing into an asteroid may be less points on the level but you get another 11 in a refitted craft in the next.

It's undoubtedly worthwhile to sacrifice some quick-kills for a chance to reach wave 11. Just consider what kind of score you could get there if you multi-killed them all - IIRC, on nightmare it would be upwards of 3000 for just that one wave.

you are right. i didn't think about it.

I will try it for my next run, perhaps I can reach wave 11.

But it is a problem to multikill 10 ships at once. at Nighmare the enemy can fly and there are very dangerous Kilrathis out there.

11 Sartha would be nice^^

But we will see. The Epee is MY ship ^^
Noone shall get more Points in a Epee as me^^

So I will try to reach wave 11 with all tricks ^^

11 Sartha? :eek: That's 11 dumbfires, ready to be delivered any time, any where. Seriously, I get nervous with just one Sartha around, the only other Kilrathi fighter that scares me as much as the Sartha is the Drakhri (...because it also has dumbfires :p).

...The irony being, of course, that these ships sucked in WC2. Yet, we didn't change these ships' armaments or anything else.. and they ended up being the deadliest cats in space.

Back