Standoff Ep. 4 Is Over Slow

Thanks for the link. Not applicable to my system, unfortunately- the little "M" at the end is apparently important. I tried it anyway- no qualified hardware.

I grabbed what is supposedly a 9/17 release, but they're signed with the May date. Installed anyway, with no effect on Standoff.

Ah, sorry, I see it's a laptop you have. Not sure what your problem may be... have you tried this patch ? I posted it on another thread... it contains an updated OpenGL dll, may or may not fix your problem.

No luck.

Side note... Each time I apply the patch, the first time I attempt to use the game I get an error. If I click "Options," it throws a Run Time Error 54, File not found. Relaunch the launcher (har), and the error goes away. If I click "Play Wing Commander Standoff" after installing the patch, I get the standard Secret Ops splash screen for a second, then it throws this error: ship.iff out of sync, please rebuild dsrc\game\ship\ship.xmf. Again, relaunching the launcher (har har) and trying again, the error goes away.

Hi, not sure if this is the appropriate place to get an answer - but I'm having the exact same slowdown problem on the newly released Prophecy in-game update with the visual enhancements. I'm using a Vista machine, Core 2 Duo, 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 - ~1GB video RAM. The slowdown happens even if I set all the options to the lowest possible resolution, no anisotropy and no FSAA. Even if I turn off the in-game settings, or set my video card through Catalyst Control Center to Performance mode, the slowdown still happens, though it is marginally better than at higher settings. I don't have any similar problem with the glide wrapper or Direct3D. Thanks for any help you can give!

Hi, the OpenGL mode runs smooth on my ATI Radeon X1300, although I did experience a huge lagging when I installed the Catalyst drivers 7.8. Reverted to 7.7 and it fixed my problem.

So my suggestion would be to change your Catalyst version. I haven't tried the lastest 7.9 yet, but I probably will in the next few days.

Please let us know if you solve your problem (and how) !

I couldn't get to sleep without trying it :p I installed Catalyst 7.9 and it plays smooth, so it may only have been 7.8 that bugged me. Please tell us which version you have, and try updating your drivers !

Thanks for the reply! I went to the ati website to download the latest catalyst drivers, and after choosing Vista and the Mobility Radeon X1400, I was sent to a page telling me that ATI no longer supports this card, and that the newer versions of the drivers are meant for desktop cards. (I should have said before that I'm on a laptop.) I'm not very tech-savvy, so should I try out these drivers even though they're apparently not meant for my card? Is it easy to switch back if it is a problem? Sorry for the ignorant questions.

As far as I know about ATI Mobile cards (9700 Series) the DO have the same drivers as the regular ones, BUT the installer won't allow you to install as it doesn't detect a desktop card. There was however an utility to hack the install program to accept it.
Sorry for not being more specific. Been a long time I did that.

Hi thanks for the help everyone. I found the modding utility that let me update to Catalyst 7.9, and the update worked fine. However, the OpenGL patch still has the same problem. My Glide wrapper is working better than ever (before it wouldn't let me go into highres, but now it will), but the openGL patch is sluggish at best. I tried changing the standard settings up and down the spectrum in Catalyst Control Center, but they all have the same problem. I didn't go through each and every individual setting (i.e. anisotropic filtering, adaptive anisotropic filtering, mipmaps, etc.), just the slider that changes all of them at once to some ATI-determined standards.

What can I do to help you find the problem?

Howdy

I am experiencing slowdowns when playing Standoff on my desktop.

it occurs in all episodes, if there are more than a few fighters the game becomes incredibly choppy in openGL and surprisingly its not much better in direct X. this is the only game i have to date noticed significant slowdowns... this happens in all resolutions, even 640X480

my system specs are
AMD Sempron 3400+
ATI Radeon 2400 series HD card with 256DDR2
1.5 gigs of 667 DDR ram
win XP pro SP2
ATI Driver version 8.421.0.0

it also has that annoying radar problem. but i can live with that.

now the interesting part is that on my old laptop it runs fine in openGL and DirectX... smoothly in max resolution...
Laptop specs
Pentium 4 3.33ghz with hyperthreading
ATI Radeon 9000 IGP with 128 shared mem
1 gig ram
Win XP home SP2

since it runs perfect on my laptop, ill live, but it would be so nice to play it on my desktop with its nifty screen. i have tried updating and rolling back my display drivers on the desktop, closing all programs... changing my desktop resolutions to the same as the game, anything i could think of. its really quite strange. perhaps its Card specific?

and before i forget, fantastic game!

Hmmm, it seems the new ATI cards don't like Standoff at all... have you tried different performance/quality settings in your drivers?

I know that you shouldn't have to, since your system is definitely fast enough to run smoothly even with everything maxed out... but it may be that there's one very specific setting that will make or break your framerate (as is the case on my system - I get wildly different performance depending on a couple of apparently harmless texture filtering settings).

It's definately the new cards. I have a few theories.

Obviously I would say it is my use of immediate rendering, sending through a small number of primitives is bad, graphics cards like to receive polygons in big batches, but OpenGL has immediate rendering which *should* be supported without significant delay, but no commercial title would ever use it, so manufacturers of modern cards would have little cause to optimise their architecture for it.

Assuming your slowdown does get worse the more that is on screen that would be my guess, and I can start batching the geometry, making fewer calls to the graphics card, see if that helps. Just madly busy atm.

Eder

I have tried playing with the settings ie anisotropic filtering, anti alising, buffering, and all the other settings...

with everything maxed for performance and all detail options off, the slowdowns are minimalised, but whenever a comm goes out, the audio stutters... ie, it will repeat "sonof a b*** thats a Guadalcanal pilot" 2 times and then the rest of the com will play.

if all the options are maxed for detail, the comms seem normal, but the game becomes unplayable if there are more than a handful of fighters present.

but, it works fine on the laptop. and that means i can still kick furball butt. and thats whats important :)

One semi-related note that might help or hinder:

My ATI Radeon 9800 Pro had hideous problems with the latest 7.x series of drivers - Direct3D won't even initialise properly, and Standoff OpenGL mode would have the consistent slowdowns in the gameflow and menus.

I rolled back to an older driver (6.9 if I remember correctly), and now everything runs at top speed.

It doesn't look like there is much regression testing on those ATI display drivers :(

I've had Direct3D failure with Catalyst 7.8, 7.9, and 7.10 on both my old 9600 XT and new X1950 Pro (both AGP), but I didn't have to roll back that far. I'm currently using Catalyst 7.7.

drivers

finally rolled back to 6.X series drivers. IT WORKS!!! well, still kinda funny and choppier than it ought to be...but better. but now i cant play Half Life 2. so i have returned to the 7.X series drivers and will resign myself to playing Standoff on my laptop.

which, in the end is best, since i am much more used to my laptops keyboard. and its easier to play standoff at work with a laptop than with a desktop.

Back