Standoff doesn´t work

Kuppowski

Spaceman
Hi!

I installed secret ops and Standoff correctly on another system but whenn I try to start Standoff I get this massage:

FileStreamer :: open CreateFile failed C:\Program Files\Origin Systems\Secret ops\date.tre

Could you please tell me how to solve this?

Attachments

• massage.jpg
    massage.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 208
The game can't open data.tre for some reason. Here's what you can check out:

1. Make sure you have installed Secret Ops correctly. Re-install Secret Ops, then re-install Standoff. It is very important that you don't move, copy or rename the files/folders once it's install.
  2. If it still doesn't work, your Secret Ops install may be corrupted. Re-download it.
  3. If you setup a shortcut, make sure the working directory is the same where Secret Ops is installed.
  4. Remember to make sure the compatibility mode is set (right-click the EXE, Properties, Compatibility)
  5. If you installed SO and Standoff using a different user account than the one you're trying to run the game with, check out the folder and files security.

Tell us if one of these things solved your problem.

the thing is that it works alsways once after installing! I install, launch the game, and it works.. then I quit, try to relaunch and it doesn´t work. After re-installing its always like that!!

Hmm. The one time it works after installing, is it when you choose to launch the game directly from the Installer's "finished" screen?

If so, it might be the compatibility mode setting... make sure you've set it on the right files since we have more than one .exe (step-by-step guide on this is in our launcher's FAQ). You could try also setting it for the Secret Ops exe file (you need to do this to run Secret Ops anyway), although I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be required just for Standoff.... Pete's the expert on this though.

How do you launch the game ? Are you using a shortcut ? Have you tried launching it by directly double-clicking the EXE ? I'd tend to believe it's a matter of working directory.

Looking at your screenshot, you're running Vista ?

yeah, it´s exactly the way Eder discribes. I´ve tried every single compatibility mode but none of them worked. Yes, I´m using Vista (biggest mistake in my life)

Hmm, Pierre is usually the expert in this kind of thing, but he's busy trying to get more sim missions scoreboard-enabled for our next release. Let's see if I can help.

So, you do have compatibility mode set on Standoff.exe and you have already tried to run the game by double clicking this file instead of using the Launcher or the shortcuts that are created by the installation?

If so, can you reinstall the game, choose not to run it at the end of the installation, and then try the above? I'd be interested to know if it still acts the same (works for the first time and then stops working) even when you launch it by double clicking the Standoff.exe file directly, ever since the first attempt to run it.

Hi there, if I could add something - I am also running Vista, and I just plain can't it to run: Exactly as has been described, it runs once just after I've gone through thge install process, and then never again, and I get the above message too.

Any of you guys know what can be done about Vista compatibility?

It sounds like something we'll have to look into. :( These are our first Vista error reports, we'll try to find out what's going on ASAP.

I'll try to get a Vista workstation running on a PC to test in the next few days.

In the meantime, here are a few things I want you to test and report:
  • Download and install this patch.
  • Have you tried launching the game by directly clicking Standoff.exe ?
  • It may be that UAC thing Vista has turned on by default. Try to turn it off.
  • Try right-clicking DATA.TRE clicking "Properties". Is there some "Unblock" button in the bottom of the properties window ?

* I tried the patch - I don't know what it did, will it work with only Episodes 1 - 3? I haven't got around to dowloading 4 yet because it won't work. Would that help though?

* I have been trying to start with Standoff.exe, and it makes no difference.
* What UAC thing? Where do I find it? I tried searching my computer for that term and nothing came up (unless its that arabic file???)
* There is no unblock "button" in data.tre properties, everything seems to be accessible and open.

Someone on the thread about dll files suggested I install the game in the default directory - would that actually do anything? (I think the only difference is that I've got it in D:
thanks

I would definitely try installing it in the default directory. I wouldn't be surprised if it was that factor that was messing up your Ep4 as the installer looks to that directory for installation.

I have it set in Windows 95 mode and I had it set to get the files from the directory instead of the TRE files but problem is the unknown comm files. The other ep's run fine without this problem and the first mission of the 4 ep will not even start because of this error. Since have not been able to fix it if I could take edited ships and put them back on the TRE file. The Treman program cannot do this to know of a program that could.

* What UAC thing? Where do I find it? I tried searching my computer for that term and nothing came up (unless its that arabic file???)

User Account Control - its the system which enforces the limited rights various users have on the system. Unfortunately, windows didnt even attempt to be a multi-user system until quite late in the game, and many older programs are written under the assumption that every user has full admin rights.

Google will turn up many guides on how to turn it off.

I have it set in Windows 95 mode and I had it set to get the files from the directory instead of the TRE files but problem is the unknown comm files. The other ep's run fine without this problem and the first mission of the 4 ep will not even start because of this error. Since have not been able to fix it if I could take edited ships and put them back on the TRE file. The Treman program cannot do this to know of a program that could.
We do not support you trying to get the game running with files outside the TREs. If you can get it running, fine... but keep in mind you'll probably experience a few oddities which we can't help you with.

As for extracting the files from the TREs, keep in mind that the TREMAN utility can't always extract everything from the tre - so when you think you've extracted everything, chances are there are many missing files.

In short - better play Standoff as it's packaged... that's the only thing we can help you with.

Unfortunately, windows didnt even attempt to be a multi-user system until quite late in the game, and many older programs are written under the assumption that every user has full admin rights.
Which is why running Windows XP in anything other than administrator mode is a headache. I see my boss having to log-in as administrator every time he needs to change/install something. What a pain.

Back