Standoff Chapter Four Now Available

Mission crash

The game crashes w/ an error message saying something like "exceeds 100 mission commands" or something right when you autonav to the Firekka after they call u back from killing the fralthi & stealths in "2668.358.1105 Capship Strike" of the Episode 3 Weslyn campaign.

ChrisReid said:
Yeah, I don't know if I like Spoons' and Bradshaw's voices too much. It could just be the accent and awkward swearing, but sometimes they seem a tiny bit hard to hear and understand too. There are plenty of well done voices throughout though.

Get me a cast of professional voice actors, and I will in turn deliver a game choc-full of professional results. :p

I joke. We have a limited amount of folks willing to put in the hard yards to play characters in the game, and I'm proud of all of them for the job they've done. It's hard work. And every voice-artist in this game is just another Wing Commander fan. :) - It is true, however, that you're always gonna get what you pay for sometimes. :D (And I don't pay my actors anything! Mwahaha)

I have to say, I'm slightly tickled by all the Trigger fans out there - especially since that's the furthest thing from my natural voice. Hard to believe the guy who plays Trigger and the voice for the computer comes from the same throat, huh? :p

Dyret said:
Can anyone give me some tips for using this... fighter. I always get the impression of being inprisoned rather than flying when take it out for a spin.:(

The Gladius is by far the superior ship in the Snakeir version. If it had a little bit more burners I could probably finish the mission pretty much unscratched. The Rapier variant OTOH needs very clever flying IMHO.

As for flying the Gladius...
The good stuff: You have very strong guns

Bad stuff:
* no ITTS - so you have to learn how to hit without it. But then the Rapier doesn't have either.
* fairly slow and also a small fuel tank - so your top priority is to NOT chase enemies (on AB) unless you can make a kill fast. Conserve fuel whenever possible. As long as I have plenty of fuel I like the Gladius. Its a good ship, unlike the Stiletto *shudder*

Unregistered said:
The game crashes w/ an error message saying something like "exceeds 100 mission commands" or something right when you autonav to the Firekka after they call u back from killing the fralthi & stealths in "2668.358.1105 Capship Strike" of the Episode 3 Weslyn campaign.
Does that happen every time, or was it a one-time problem? What are your system specs?

Tempest said:
I have to say, I'm slightly tickled by all the Trigger fans out there - especially since that's the furthest thing from my natural voice. Hard to believe the guy who plays Trigger and the voice for the computer comes from the same throat, huh? :p
Personally, I like Aussie The Ship Computer better than Trigger, if that makes you feel better. :p

Mission Crash

Eder said:
Does that happen every time, or was it a one-time problem? What are your system specs?

Yea it happens every time. I've tried flying the mission differently as well, like hitting different navs first as well as trying out both the gladius and rapier but it all comes out the same in the end.
My specs are:
Pentium 4 2.8ghz
1024 mb ram
Ati Radeon 9800 XT
on Windows Media Center Edition

Would the Firekka's current fighter complement have anything to do with the problem? Because mine is extremely low, something like 2 Stilettos, 5 Gladii, & 5 Rapiers. (I had to cheat my way into the Weslyn campaign IE: blowing up my wingmen with F12)

I´ll check that out tonight and report to Pierre... I´ve just installed the final release... takes a while to get to Ep.3 :p

Unregistered said:
Would the Firekka's current fighter complement have anything to do with the problem? Because mine is extremely low, something like 2 Stilettos, 5 Gladii, & 5 Rapiers. (I had to cheat my way into the Weslyn campaign IE: blowing up my wingmen with F12)
Possibly it might have something to do with it, though I wouldn't be too sure. We'll find the bug and fix it - embarrassingly enough, this seems like the first time we've had a bug that might force us to release a patch (usually, we simply fix things in the next episode's package).

BTW, why did you blow up so many of your wingmen? All you have to do to get to the losing path is lose one mission... so the absolute maximum you need to F12 is two Gladii. Even that is usually unnecessary, since the Kilrathi work pretty hard on killing your Gladius wingmen (though, of course, there's fairly little difference between a Gladius killed by a cat and a Gladius killed by F12, so you might as well get them yourself to be sure :p).

ChrisReid said:
Yeah, I don't know if I like Spoons' and Bradshaw's voices too much. It could just be the accent and awkward swearing, but sometimes they seem a tiny bit hard to hear and understand too. There are plenty of well done voices throughout though.
Heh, well, I must admit I also find the swearing awkward at times... and I'm the one who wrote the lines. I'll defend it to the death, though - it bothers me every time I hear them swear simply because I personally don't swear all that much, but they don't just swear to get us a "foul language" warning or somesuch... they only do it when they have a reason, and when it's appropriate for the characters.

Quarto said:
Heh, well, I must admit I also find the swearing awkward at times... and I'm the one who wrote the lines. I'll defend it to the death, though - it bothers me every time I hear them swear simply because I personally don't swear all that much, but they don't just swear to get us a "foul language" warning or somesuch... they only do it when they have a reason, and when it's appropriate for the characters.

Also, because Quarto wants to make a name as, and I quote, a 'bad guy-dude'.

Tempest said:
Also, because Quarto wants to make a name as, and I quote, a 'bad guy-dude'.
Hey, at least I don't need to filter my voice to compensate for my personal insecurities :p.

Quarto said:
Hey, at least I don't need to filter my voice to compensate for my personal insecurities :p.

Oh, great. Now I'm gonna have to play /another/ character in ep4 to prove my manliness.

Ships creepy janitor, y'think?

No, I think we need you to come up with something more... stereotypical. Pelhaps Bladshaw needs a steleotypical Chinese maltial alts expelt as his new sidekick? You'd go around eating noodles, making Bruce Lee-like "woo" noises and killing Kilrathi with your amazing kung fu skillz!

I guess I have problems but I always liked the Stiletto. Its the fastest, she can take a hit, and dish it out. The Rapier and the Stiletto are possibly the best fighters IMHO.

Quarto said:
You'd go around eating noodles, making Bruce Lee-like "woo" noises and killing Kilrathi with your amazing kung fu skillz!

You mean like eject, then drift around and bend their guns and clog their scoops with... you know... noodles.:p

powell99 said:
I guess I have problems but I always liked the Stiletto. Its the fastest, she can take a hit, and dish it out. The Rapier and the Stiletto are possibly the best fighters IMHO.
I definitely prefer the Epee as far as light fighters go. As much as I like to complain about the Epee's armour, there's simply never been a better light fighter in any WC period. But, as far as patrol fighters are concerned, the Stiletto is the top of the pile - it's like a better (albeit uglier) Ferret, with ITTS and a built-in stereo :p. I would love to be able to compare it in the WCP engine to the Armada Arrow, I must say... though I think that the latter would win hands down, simply because the WCP engine is designed for speed demons.

Quarto said:
I definitely prefer the Epee as far as light fighters go. As much as I like to complain about the Epee's armour, there's simply never been a better light fighter in any WC period.

Not the 8-missile, 4-gun and relatively well armored/shielded Arrow or Banshee?

Quarto said:
But, as far as patrol fighters are concerned, the Stiletto is the top of the pile - it's like a better (albeit uglier) Ferret, with ITTS and a built-in stereo :p. I would love to be able to compare it in the WCP engine to the Armada Arrow, I must say... though I think that the latter would win hands down, simply because the WCP engine is designed for speed demons.

The Stiletto's pretty good too, but am I reading that right? You think it's ugly? Compared to the Ferret?

ChrisReid said:
The Stiletto's pretty good too, but am I reading that right? You think it's ugly? Compared to the Ferret?
I have to side with Q on this one... the Ferret is pretty stylish with the "gothic arc" shaped intakes and the slightly angled-down bit at the nose... the Stiletto is just a futuristic jet fighter design with extra fins (and it's even more generic than the Morningstar IMHO, since the Morningstar's wings and fins have subtle curves while the Stiletto is just straight lines).

Quarto said:
I definitely prefer the Epee as far as light fighters go. As much as I like to complain about the Epee's armour, there's simply never been a better light fighter in any WC period.

In the WC2 engine I largely prefer massdrivers tho. They kill much faster then particles. Also the Epee is fairly large compared to the Stiletto...

Back