Standoff Chapter Four Now Available

As usual - AWOSOME WORK!!!

I just took a quick look and the first thing that jumps to mind is the Verdun (the Concordia Class).
That was some nice touch, taking that big "bite" :)D) in it's bow - really give it the feel similar to that of the WC:M Bengal.
It is nice - but the obvious question - Why?
The older Concordia-class you showed was really nice as she was.

Hey great work again guys! Allthough, this one seemed even shorter then ep2. This was a too-easy episode compared to the other, thats why it felt shorter. I just hit fly, and gone through the 4(?) missions without loseing more then some armor :) In Ep 1 I could never make it back with afterburners and all guns operational :D And I allways got everything completed. You mentioned something about a "loseing" path, so I gotta replay to see that too :D
A thing I noticed, is that allhtough the ships stats like speed, shield, damage, are corretly feels like WC1-2, the flying style of the AI is still 100% Prophecy. Wich is dumb, and useless for these kind of ships. (wich means: the ships almost stop to turn around, shoot, and then hit their afterburners. When a Gratha starts this manouver, there is no way you can miss it, ... Bang!)
Nice work on everything. The cutscenes were okay too. Some sounds are getting better and better too! Waiting for the ep4 :D

And the music was deffiently a good idea too!

lorddarthvik said:
Hey great work again guys! Allthough, this one seemed even shorter then ep2. This was a too-easy episode compared to the other, thats why it felt shorter. I just hit fly, and gone through the 4(?) missions without loseing more then some armor :) In Ep 1 I could never make it back with afterburners and all guns operational :D And I allways got everything completed. You mentioned something about a "loseing" path, so I gotta replay to see that too :D

Yeah, there's about fifteen total missions, so you probably haven't played most of the episode yet. And then there's the scoreboards. That should give the game quite a bit of replayability.

space_pirate said:
I like the new music (WC3 ?) that plays in mission 1. I think it's a lot better than the annoying WC2 tunes in ep. I and II. Anyway, you guys did a great job. Thaks for keeping my favorite game alive.

The idea was to get some variety by adding a new set of inflight music, and since Standoff is between WC2 and WC3, I thought we should borrow from both... but I don't think its fair to call WC1 or WC2's music ANNOYING... its a little older... they weren't able to do as much with it... they're a bit shorter... but annoying? :p

Just wait to see what we do with music in Episode 5.... ;)

you mean 15 new, or 15 in total of all episodes released? :D I meant ep3 only. i continued where i left off with the end o ep2, and then played till the To Be Continued.... screen. I'v completed all missions, and only failed a secondary goal once when I could only bring home 3 Clysdales in the minelayeing mission. So are those 15 missions in the straight winning line, or overall?

There's 15 missions in Episode 3, but that's counting all the possible variants. The losing path can be as short as 3 missions, and the winning path can be as long as 5... but there's 15 total (counting alternate missions that only happen if you destroy/save certain ships in Ep 3 and some that depend on Ep 2, and the missions which have Gladius / Rapier variants).

I C, thanks. Seems like I got the 5 mission winning path actually. I didn't know ep2 effected ep3, so I'll have lot to replay :D

Needaham45 said:
I don't think its fair to call WC1 or WC2's music ANNOYING... its a little older... they weren't able to do as much with it... they're a bit shorter... but annoying? :p

I hate that music since I played WC2 for the first time back in '93 (especially that "your-ship-is-heavily-damaged-you-will-die-soon" tune). But that goes only for the in-flight music, the soundtrack in the cutscenes is great.

Eder said:
There's 15 missions in Episode 3, but that's counting all the possible variants. The losing path can be as short as 3 missions, and the winning path can be as long as 5... but there's 15 total (counting alternate missions that only happen if you destroy/save certain ships in Ep 3 and some that depend on Ep 2, and the missions which have Gladius / Rapier variants).
I'm pretty sure the highest possible number of missions on either path is four, not five :p.

Anyway, yes, this is probably the shortest Standoff episode overall... but you have to remember, that it's really two episodes in one - there is a winning path that takes place in Warsaw, and a distinct losing path that takes place in Weslyn. You even have two separate intros. So, you really shouldn't be running out of stuff to do just yet - you just have to try to explore Standoff a bit in different directions (remember, there's a number of alternate missions in episode one as well - by now, you have a grand total of 32 missions to play, you just have to find them :)).

Also, if you got through the winning path without even taking damage to your armour, I think you might be flying on rookie :D.

will there be a mission selector after the final chapter's release so you can play all the missions that were made?

That would be pretty complicated (though not impossible) to implement... but more importantly, it would spoil the fun. The reason why there's so many missions (and why the average player doesn't see most of them) is because where possible, we try to allow the player to face the consequences of a lost mission or a mission flown differently than planned (and obviously, the consequences of choosing a different ship to fly in a given mission - which sometimes can have a bigger impact than just how the mission feels). If we made all the missions available by choice, most of them would be a lot less interesting because they'd be taken out of context.

In other words, it's not just about the missions, it's about the campaign.

space_pirate said:
I hate that music since I played WC2 for the first time back in '93 (especially that "your-ship-is-heavily-damaged-you-will-die-soon" tune). But that goes only for the in-flight music, the soundtrack in the cutscenes is great.

Fair enough, everyone's entitled to their opinion. Personally, I love the musical ideas in WC1 and WC2 - I really feel like they set the stage for the rest of the series musically.

I'm very glad you like the original soundtrack though - that's where the hard, creative stuff comes in :)

Personally, I love the musical ideas in WC1 and WC2 - I really feel like they set the stage for the rest of the series musically.
Yea! I love this music too! It is the best. If You don`t like Wing 1 and 2 music then you are not a true Wing Commadners fan.

Ahh thats not fair, I don't have Standoff Episodes 1 and 2 in the reg so I can't install. :(

Whoo, lurker for three years!

Kyran said:
Ahh thats not fair, I don't have Standoff Episodes 1 and 2 in the reg so I can't install. :(
Whoo, lurker for three years!

Yeah, you can't have any issues like this. If Secret Ops isn't in the registry, you also can't install Standoff at all. Anyhow, time to start posting more.

Mace said:
will there be a mission selector after the final chapter's release so you can play all the missions that were made?

In a way this is already there. The Mission History terminal allows you to mostly do this by keeping track of alternate missions you run across. It also maintains the intended linearity fairly well. Some sort of walkthrough guide that just explains what needs to be done to hit each path might be best.

lorddarthvik said:
I C, thanks. Seems like I got the 5 mission winning path actually. I didn't know ep2 effected ep3, so I'll have lot to replay :D

Hey, read the front page. :( "Whether players have a role in the historic Battle of Warsaw or instead get stuck behind enemy lines depends on their performance in Episode 2. You'll have to play through today's release more than once to see all of its fifteen missions."

Its already, I found Episode 1 on another computer so I transfered it over and installed. Works great now. :D

I read the front page about twenty times, but I allways slipped to the part saying "EP3 will be released" :D Sorry.

@Quarto I checked it and I'm flying on the deffault difficulty level (ace?), I usually only change it if I'm so stuk that I'm starting to think about uninstall. I'm still getting smashed in all episodes except the 3rd. maybe cause I hose the über Rapier? :D Of course if I'm not paying attention any Dralthi can reduce my ship to scrap, but if I don't make suicidal runs into thier frontal fire, I can even get through missions wihtout getting hit. Maybe because of the number of ships involved here (much more equal, it seems). But it's more likely the style of the AI, wich was made for dumb overwhelming for Prophecy. (wich you cannot change, cause its entirely defined by the original engine, right? It must be very very hard to do anyway) I'm not asking for any harder though, just felt like a (nice) surprise that I could win it all in one row :D
All I can say is, keep working on this great stuff :D

Yeah... The number one thing I'd love to change about Standoff, but I can't, is the AI.

Back