Standoff and Fleet Action fiction

FleeBalls

Spaceman
Im wondering how closely based Standoff is on the Fleet Action novel. Does Hunter or Baron Jakuga or Captain whats-his-face make an appearance? Will the final battle be in Sol sector next to earth, with six Kilrathi super-carriers and scores of other capital ships be bearing down on Earth? Will the mission objective be to shoot down strotium-90 laced warheads closing in on Terra? I can't wait to see how the story unfolds. I'd like to see the planet surrounded by civilian craft that are in the final battle just to give the Kilrathi more targets and draw their fire away from the limited bombers Confed has available. I'd love to fly a sabre in that mission, or better yet a morningstar...I'd like to see how one of the super-carriers and it's six flight decks stack up against the Concordia (god rest her soul). I also can't wait to see what the Phase-Transit cannon looks like when it fires in Standoff. Hopefully it won't be just a giant pink particle cannon blast anymore. I wonder what kind of damage it would do to the super-carrier? maybe one day we shall see.....

FleeBalls said:
Will the final battle be in Sol sector next to earth, with six Kilrathi super-carriers and scores of other capital ships be bearing down on Earth?
Yeah, though at that point the number of Kilrathi supercarriers won't necessarily be 6.

FleeBalls said:
Will the mission objective be to shoot down strotium-90 laced warheads closing in on Terra?
There's a mission in which you go after the cruisers that launch the attacks... the bombs themselves will probably not be destroyable, though.

FleeBalls said:
I'd like to see the planet surrounded by civilian craft that are in the final battle just to give the Kilrathi more targets and draw their fire away from the limited bombers Confed has available. I'd love to fly a sabre in that mission, or better yet a morningstar...
That you'll get to do. I'm not sure wheter that mission is in a Rapier, Sabre, or Crossbow. No Morningstar for sure, though.

FleeBalls said:
I also can't wait to see what the Phase-Transit cannon looks like when it fires in Standoff. Hopefully it won't be just a giant pink particle cannon blast anymore. I wonder what kind of damage it would do to the super-carrier? maybe one day we shall see.....
That you won't get to see. :p I don't think we have any plans to fire the PTC in Standoff.

And no, you won't get to see Hunter or Baron Jukaga - or even Tolwyn. There will be one or two characters from the books and games making cameo appearances, but other than that we're pretty much exclusively focussed on our own set of characters.

(BTW, even in the book, there wasn't six super-carriers in Sol :p )

that brings up a question, what happened to the remaining hakagas (3 i believe) after the BoT. those would have made for a nice follow-up attack on the already hurt humans.

-brad

There weren't any remaining Hakagas in operational status, IIRC. The Kilrathi were building them to assault Earth all as one fleet, but Paladin's discovery of the Kilrathi plans forced them to make an early move with only the six Hakagas which were finished by then.

I think it's possible that one or more of the ones under construction became complete before the end of the war, but they sure didn't have time to use it. :p

I remember thinking for the longest time that the Karga in False Colors was a left over Hakaga . After I started visiting the CIC more often, I realized it was a Bhantkara.

Back