Spyware in Privateer Gemini Gold?

U

Unregistered

I already have Privateer Remake 1.0 and was curious about the Gemini Gold version. After downloading Gemini Gold, as soon as I began to install the game, I got spyware warnings from two anti-spyware programs I use, Spyware Blaster and Microsoft Anti-Spyware. Was this a false alarm? Or is there spyware/adware included in the program?

It's a false alarm -- what is in fact causing the problem is the soundserver.exe program (which manages sound & music for the Vegastrike engine). In preparation for adding a network component to Vegastrike, the sound server works via a loopback connection (your pc connecting to itself) which may be seen as suspicious behavior by some antispyware programs.

http://tinyurl.com/bnbyx

You can try this and see if it helps though.

I just wanted to thank both of you for responding to my concern. Having eased my reservations about Privateer Gemini Gold, I downloaded another copy of the game and intalled it. To my very pleasant surprise, the spyware warnings did not appear this time. Apparently the anti-spyware vendors got word of this false positive warning and have updated their products to reflect this. I am now playing Gemini Gold and honestly prefer it to Remake 1.0, though I think I may have run across a couple of bugs. I'll research the other threads in this section to see if anyone else has encountered these same issues. Overall though I must say that I'm enjoying the game and am very relieved that the spyware warnings were false. Thanks again.

Great!

Don't hesitate and post all the bugs you've found, we may have still the chance to fix a few them for version 1.01.

Back