Spoony "reviews" Wing Commander

Truth said:
The title of this thread is wrong.
This kind of wanking, crying, blubbering, jealous, hateful, repulsively idiotic masturbatory bullshit response.

The funniest thing about all this is the (abundantly elf-evident) irony this particular individual came out of this way to complain about the very crime he’s committing, i.e., he’s doing precisely everything they say it’s wrong, showing absolutely no self-awareness of this fact. Quoting Spoony, that’s kind of “amazingly lame”.

Another point of interest is that, unlike you’d expect, the WC fans were quietly discussing this on their own forum, and not on the comment boards of the review site.

Quatro said:
The key complaint here is not about him doing Wing Commander with his unique brand of asshole angst comedy. It's that unique brand of asshole angst comedy that actually is the big complaint - and the fact that so many people like this kind of comedy is an even bigger one. I'm not going to bother going into more detail, LOAF already did that - suffice to say, it sucks that there's so many people out there who love watching some guy rant about some random product.

While I understand and not entirely disagree with what you and LOAF are saying, I must admit I actually enjoy some those reviews. I also check the AGVN, Nostalgia Critic, even Zero Punctuation. Not all of the episodes are entertaining, mind you, and sometimes they are unfunny, wrong, or do things that are downright moronic and/or of horrendously distasteful. It’s certainly not for everybody, and it’s not all good. Still, overall, it’s just comedy, and sometimes insightful.

And yeah, they are all characters and it's all an act. This is made very clear when Spoony is speaking off-character, like when he spoke about Avatar.

The title of this thread is wrong.

It should not be "Spoony ''reviews'' Wing Commander".

It should have been "WAHHHHH!!!! SOMEONE'S OPINIONS IS DIFFERENT THAN MINE!!!! I DO NOT LIKE SEEING ANYONE WHO DOES NOT THINK LIKE ME!!!! WAHHHHH!!!!! IT IS EVERYTHING THAT IS WRONG WITH TEH INTERWEBZ!!!! I HATE HIM!!! WHAAAAAAAA!!! I AM A SEVEN YEAR OLD ON A FORUM WHO WANTS TO BASK IN THE CIRCLE JERKING MASTURBATORY CONFIDENCE OF MY FREINDS TO HATE SOMEONE MORE TALENTED THAN ME WITH MORE FANS THAN I HAVE!!! WHAAAAAAA!!!!! I MUST DECLARE JIHAD ON SPOONEY BECUASE I AM A SELF-RIGEOUS CUNT CALLING OTHER PEOPLE A SELF-RIGHTEOUS CUNT FOR MAKING A VIDEO THAT MAKES ME HAVE TEH FURYYY!!! WAHHHHH!!!!!"

At least then, this thread might have some honesty to it, instead of just a bunch of faggoty butthurt fanboys.

You know what truly is everything that is wrong with the internet?

Whiny, butthurt, fanboy wah-wah-gasisms and forumbound group therepy cock-sucking sessions on the maturity level of a petulant 6-year old, all over one person's video to soothe their boundless hatred and intolerance of anyone else but their own selves.

Wallowing in their own seething jealousy over the opinion of one person that all of you wish you were in the particular spot he is in, with being a very famous, well-liked, enormously popular internet personality who won the "funniest person on the web" award from a voting crowd of over 2 million.

Can any of you assholes ever say you've been there? That you can stand up to credentials like that? No? Then go shove your pointless jealousy and butthurt rage right back up your own asses where you pulled it from and where it belongs, instead of using a forum for your pathetic drooling stupidity over your worthlessly gang-raped pride.

THIS is the kind of bullshit that TRULY contributes to making the internet a worse place to be.

THIS.

THIS THREAD.

This kind of wanking, crying, blubbering, jealous, hateful, repulsively idiotic masturbatory bullshit response.

You random nobodies on the internet crying your crocodile tears over an opinion or a video that you are just upset that you're not being appreciated and popular for, yourselves

While on the other hand, his videos, are the only kind of redemption the general internet has in the face of the legions of butthurt fanboy faggots, and jealous, self-important, hateful, crybaby little piss-ants who will probably never amount to one tenth of what the highly respected web personality whom you misdirect your anger on, HAS accomplished.

Maybe instead of crying and blubbering and whining about one video from someone who does what he does well and is popular because of it, perhaps you should focus your pathetic butthurt lukewarm fanboy rage on other pursuits.

Such as getting your dickish, self-absorbed, jealous, hateful, negative, sad, miserable, little shit wastes of life off of your faggy forum masturbation sessions, as well as out of your parent's basements, and get laid for once in your lives.

Truth... seriously stop helping. All you're doing is making us Spoony fans who are trying to have a respectful debate on someone else's home turf look bad. Thank you for you contribution that i tend to agree with but please do it next time in a manner that doesn't make us all look like drooling morons.

Cheez, this thread sure has gone south!

First of all i believe it bears mentioning that Noah Antwiler (TheSpoonyOne) is an award winning critic/entertainer. Have you won any awards for criticizing anyone? He has won an award for what he does.

What award? An award for complaining? The internet complainer's association award? Big deal. Win an Oscar, and then I will be impressed. Does the trophy depict a guy sitting in front of a computer with his middle finger extended toward the screen? Please. Don't wave awards that are mediocre, at best, in my face and tell me that the award itself somehow gives me less of a right to disagree with someone.

It's funny, those who are yelling at or criticizing us wingnuts who did not appreciate Spoony's "review" are doing the same thing they accuse us of: getting pissed because our opinion does not match theirs. Typical innarweb knee-jerk responses. :eek: Yawn.

To comment on something someone said earlier, I know two people who LOVED Wing Commander: my boys. I rented the movie on Netflix just so they could see it, and they enjoyed the movie greatly, even though they have also seen the source material by watching me play the games. Of course, I had not gotten up to Wing Commander 3 yet, so they had only seen Wing Commander, SMs 1 & 2, Wing Commander II and SOs 1 & 2. My biggest letdown with the movie was that I had played Wing Commander 3 and a little bit of 4 before seeing it, so I had been hoping that the movie would represent those characters.

My boys loved it so much, they took it to their friend's house and watched it there with him, and he loved it, too, so I guess that makes three people I know who loved the movie. I know that the wingnuts like the movie like they would love a retarded child (no offense). What wingnut doesn't remember the anticipation back in '99 of waiting for the movie to be released, then sitting in the theater with a big box of popcorn and a soda (I went and saw it with my friend)? "Alright! We're going to see Wing Commander!" Many of us were still teenagers when it came out, so even after we'd seen it, we did not have a fanboy reflex that we have as adults, where we hold everything under a microscope and expect this or that adaptation to explicitly live up to our standards of what we think it should be. Nope. My friend and I were teenagers, and we said: "Wow, that was pretty neat! A different take, but pretty cool!" I have good memories associated with Wing Commander from when I was a kid.

Wanna know something else? I watched the movie with my two boys, and I got into it. Since I had been going on my own little Wing Commander odyssey as of late, I almost had the same anticipation to watch the movie, and would laugh in my fanboy way when certain things happened. Seeing the "Concordia battle group," hearing "Bossman"'s name, seeing Dralthi fighters, and watching the crew discuss the "skipper" missile. Watching it again, I had a good time, DESPITE ITS FLAWS. Amazing, no?

Why doesn't Spoony like it? Whatever his reasons are, they're his reasons, and I respect the fact that he does not like it. Fine, dandy even. Shoot, BOTH fine AND dandy. My main problem with his "review" is that it is not a review, it is a gripe session. They aren't even NEW gripes, they are the same, stock gripes we have heard over, and over, and over, AND OVER, AND OVER again, from 50 other sources. They are the same type of arguments we hear ad nauseam about Star Wars. Hayden Christiansen's acting sucks, Jar Jar Binks is terrible, etc., etc. I've heard it all before 100 times, and those complaints are out there; they have BEEN out there for over 10 years now (Phantom Menace is as old as Wing Commander), so why would anyone bother to go to all the trouble of making another video with the same stock complaints? Easy pickings, perhaps?

Here's the thing: He is a fanboy with fanboy expectations. As such, the movie was doomed to fail before he'd even watched it, but he watched it anyway, then created a video of the gripe session that followed as he repeated the same arguments that we've been hearing for a decade about the movie. :eek: Yawn. I'll pass.

This has nothing to do with blindly defending Wing Commander, a movie that, as has been said, was a commercial and personal (to the fans) disappointment. This is about watching an angry young man's gripe session, as he complains the same complaints we've heard before ad nauseam under the guise of a "review."

The guy registered here just so he could yell at us. He doesn't care about the community in the same way that you and I do, even though we are newbies.

I'll try to at least give the Spoony community a fair defense compared to Truth.

AD said:
He also touches all the bases of basic complaints people level against the movie... Yaaaaayyyyy. We've heard it all before. It's not funny. It's just tiresome listening to the retarded complaints about sound in space (and seriously what Sci-fi doesn't do it) and how they're worried about the other ship hearing them (which they aren't).
Not Every one has heard it before. Not everyone was conscious of all things in 1999, and not every one was even aware of Wing Commander. On this particular forum it is easy to say "we've heard it all before" when your entire community is built upon the series it was based on. Before Spoony, I was not even aware of the game's existence no less the movie.

Secondly, Firefly didn't have sound in space. Serenity dropped this concept, but it is present in the show. The odd part about WC was, however, that the acting and plot acknowledges, consciously, that there would be sound while others it is ignored for cinematic effect. It just makes the scene awkward.

LeHah said:
Anyone who makes a web presence with his own video, starring no one but himself in different characters with a shitty rock song for a title is a self-important jackass.
This can easily be translated to a stage performance. Comedians build their careers by standing on stage, by themselves, and performing, often being brought in by music.

It may not be your brand of comedy, true, but by your logic all comedians are self-important jackasses. To some level, that is true but that is how comedians have always thrived.

LeHah said:
The internet has allowed a certain type of person to become popular. Spoony, much like that unfortunate person named Mike Stoklasa who made those awful Phantom Menace "review" Youtubes, is part of a new trend of shitting all over things needlessly because they feel entitled to something that isn't there. The Internet creates and then enables these people to exist. These are the types of people who suck all the joy out of everything in the guise of an intellectual argument. If you agree with him, you're no one I ever want to break bread with.
I'm sorry you disagree that the trend has moved into the internet, but this has, and always will be the basis for comedy, namely stand up comedy. It is someone going on stage and presenting themselves, often alone, and generally just ranting about some topic in general. Perhaps they say it for shock value, or because it is part of their character, or something else.

What he does is stand up comedy whether you like it or not. This does not mean all stand up comedians are -good-, and a great deal are absolutely terrible, but the stage being replaced by a camera doesn't change what it fundamentally is: stand up comedy.

As far as shitting on thing needlessly... again, that is the basis for probably every comedians stand up act in history. They have no need to bash their relationship, but they will for a laugh. There is no need to ask why there is a razor in the airplane bathroom, why black and whites are different or the same, or, generally, whatever topic you can think of. Comedy is, in of itself, as worthless as its audience allows it to be.

You can claim all these comedians do what they do because they feel entitled to something from life, but that seems to be grasping for straws. You may not feel entitled completely, but I don't doubt you'd appreciate another very well put together game, movie, or other WC related item to your collection.

Spoony being a WC fan, perhaps he did feel entitled to a good interpretation of his favorite sci-fi movie to film. I'm sure 11 years ago a lot of you did. As has been pointed out, a lot of time has passed and I'm sure any small disappointment has been shed thanks to time, reasoning, or what have you.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I'd like to point out that you, on an internet forum, are using your time to explain why an internet stand up comedian is what is wrong with humanity. In your own small way, you're trying to suck what fun there is out of this because you disagree with it fundamentally in the guise of an intellectual argument just as he tried to dismantle this movie.

If these reviews truly suck the fun out of movies/games for you, then that is unfortunate. If you disagree, then disagree, but don't let someone's opinion on a movie ruin it for you.

LeHah said:
Anyone who has a Highlander 2 poster needs to die in a car fire.
You are what you hate, and are doing exactly as he is.

AD said:
I don't care if people like the movie or not. The movie has issues. We know that better than anyone. But what you suggest is the opposite of what spoony does in his review. I can point out many areas where his logic is both flawed and or extremely innaccurate in that particular piece. Yes, he's doing it for so-called entertainment purposes but what for? At who's expense? 10 years after the fact he certainly isn't doing it for people who don't know the games and aren't familiar with the movie, since no one else gives a crap.
So, once something hits the 10+ year mark nobody is allowed to bad mouth is anymore?

MST3K built itself on that premise. I'm sure nobody gave a crap about a lot of those movies, but in a sick way it of gave obscure titles meaning. And, again, I must go back to my point about this being stand up comedy; it doesn't need expense or, really, too many people to give a crap about the actual topic. Riffing is entertaining, and I challenge you to tell me you and your friends have never, ever riffed a movie or game in your entire life. I'd also find it hard to believe that you've never riffed something older than 10 years.

AD said:
Fair drops the theatrics. Fair doesn't make up crap to complain about. Fair talks about the actual problems with the film instead of the crap that gets repeated ad nauseum on the internet over and over despite it's inaccuracy.
Comedy is inherently not fair. It is always someone riffing on someone, and most of the time the thing is question has little opportunity to fight back. This goes from the lightest to the darkest of comedy. From an object or topic, to a person. This is especially true of insult comics, whom have existed much longer than the internet.

As far as ad nauseum across the internet, I don't think that is particularly fair since you are 1) apart of a community dedicated to the series and 2) under the assumption that everyone on the internet knows this movie back to front.

vindicator said:
He clearly fails to consider some of the difficulties of making a film in favor of making jokes about sound in space and hairless kitties or misspelled words. If it's meant to be comedy in total than his predictable jokes fail to bring me along.

I only ever hate movies I consider completely unwatchable. Something like Percy Jackson or Transformers 2. Wing Commander despite it's flaws isn't unwatchable. It isn't a cinematic masterpiece, but considering it's circumstances it did better than what would be considered the unwatchable bombs like super mario brothers.
The work someone puts into a film or game does not give it diplomatic immunity. I'd like to point out that plenty of work went into Transformers and Percy Jackson, yet you seem to be fine will calling them unwatchable.

Now, onto the main post in this thread:

---------------------------------------------

Bandit LOAF said:
Chris pointed this out last month when the kid was raging about Privateer 2--his site's subtitle is "because bad movies and games deserve to be hurt back". Comical unbelief noise! What a stupid, cynical, mean-spirited way to think.The idea that anyone would focus their life on 'hurting' some broad class of things should be disgusting to thinking humans--but apparently we're all eager to line up and salute.
I'm going to go ahead and point out that you aren't a Spoony fan, so your critique of his banner topper is actually pretty unfair. It is also indicative of the fact you've probably only seen these 2 videos of his in total. Spoony is an outspoken lover of terrible movies, and has plenty of out of character and even in character praises of how much he loves the "worst" of his collection. Spoony is actually fairly similar to the Cinema Snob in that regard, as in they have the humility to riff things they love.

http://www.thecinemasnob.com/

This goes along the same lines of Angry Video Game Nerd. The man LOVES games. He has more than you or I will ever own, and has many that really don't exist anywhere else anymore. He could practically build a museum out of how basement, but he riffs on games a few times a month in his show. Because he has the humility to laugh at his own hobby, and understand that not everything is a gem. Sure, the games are really old and the complains are sitting in a grave somewhere but in some ways that is the point. He and his community don't hate games; they riff because they love them.

How about you take "because bad movies and games deserve to be hurt back!" as a joke to not be taken seriously. As I've stated above, he is a stand up comedian and if we personally judged every comedian and took every joke they said completely seriously they'd all by lynched by now. It is a practice of humility to be able to riff on things you enjoy, and not be an extremist that regards any finger pointed at your hobby as a personal insult.

Bandit LOAF said:
People visit WCNews.com because they're fans of Wing Commander. Do people visit "Spoony Experiment" because they're fans of hating things, no matter what those things end up being?
What a terrible generalization. As I pointed out with the above user, you're being exactly what you're protesting against. As I said, a practice in humility.

For example, he is doing a review of Final Fantasy 10 right now. Personally, I find enjoyment in the game but I can sit down and watch it be riffed because I understand its problems, and its problems amuse me as much as its good traits. He has also pointed out mistakes and problems I missed, and if anything it has caused me to enjoy it more. Understanding and being able to punch it for its problems is amusing to me, thus the concept of riffing something.

We aren't fans of hating things. We're fans of, essentially, insult comedy and riffing. He, AVGN, Nostaglia Critic, Cinema Snob, and others have steamrolled stuff I love and hate, but it gives me an appreciation for humility of my hobbies, like, and dislikes. And, above all else, its helped me find more wrong and right in games and movies, which is personally important for me since I was to join that industry eventually.

Bandit LOAF said:
Based on the site's comments: yes. Gross, gross, gross.
Allow me to generalize you as much you are others: If I were to take this ENTIRE site and community on this and the privateer thread, I'd say you are a bunch of self righteous, arrogant assholes who can't take a joke and need a serious lesson in humility.

But, that isn't fair. It isn't fair because I have not read every thread, followed you all for 10 years, and experienced all of this with you. I have the experience of 2 threads, so it is unfair for me to generalize all of you.

Bandit LOAF said:
I can't wait to log in to the internet and find out what an unpleasant man tells me not to like today in a comically exaggerated video! It will be great! (I hope he tells us to burn our pants.. these things are driving me nuts!)
Sorry, but isn't that pretty much what you're doing here? You're calling fans of this form of stand up comedians heartless and pathetic and telling others to avoid it.

Bandit LOAF said:
It's not just riding the Woo, woo! Hate stuff! train, either. We all saw it coming, we know exactly where this sad paradigm shift towards genuine nastiness came from. Ten and fifteen years ago we were absolutely enthralled by this exact same kind of material. Folks who grew up watching Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Kevin Smith movies and reading those Star Trek Nitpicker's Guides said to themselves boy howdy, this stuff is clever and I can do it too.

What they missed was the absolute most essential part of the equation--the hard won part that made all of that stuff genuine and leaves "The Spoony Experiment" worthless... the motivation. MST3k exists because its creators loved bad movies, those Star Trek guides are a paean to the writer's favorite show... none of it is some aggressive attack strategy (or, important here, any selfish desire for celebrity).
This is proof enough to me that you have no want or desire to understand the community you are so generalizing and hating upon. Spoony, Brad Jones, and so on are well known within their own communities as being great lovers of bad movies and so on. They are well known for riffing on movies and games they legitimately enjoy. Spoony riffs on Final Fantasy all the time, but he is also expresses how much he loves the series as well (particularly the games before 7).

The irony here is that you your have missed the essential part of the equation. You're generalizing, stereotyping, and jumping to conclusions a fanbase you don't even seen to have tried to understand. The irony here is that, for all the videos of Spoony praising and destroying the WC stuff he actually makes me want to play them. All you're doing is making to want to avoid the community, which is not fair to you nor this website.

Bandit LOAF said:
It's more than all that that makes it pathetic, though--it's the fact that it exists only because it's *easy*. There's no artistry here, no hard work--point a flip cam at me and listen to me take the piss out of things no one likes in the first place? Rants that write themselves? Completely irrelevant things, too! Gee, Spoony, your criticism really saved me... I was going to spend my $7.50 to go see Wing Commander when it came out ELEVEN YEARS AGO. And then I might have picked up the DVD (or the VHS or the DivX!) for the few years after that that stores stocked it. I mean, a rant about the Wing Commander movie? Did he run out of material about how unpleasant air travel is? Ugh, ugh, ugh.
Again, I must ask why the idea that it being eleven years old gives it a get out of jail card. And, I must point out your blatant hypocrisy of praising MST3k for its heart and how they apparently loved the bad movies, yet Spoony and others are not allowed to do the same thing.

Riffing is eternal. MST realized this, and dug up older movies and lesser known movies to tear apart in good fun. While, true, spoony is much more of an insult comic than MST the general idea is still there. Fact is, it was very easy for Kevin Smith and MST to do this as well. Very small budgets, not alot of time needed, small sets, and, well, a video camera. This can apply to stand up comedy, and many other forms of comedy as well.

Bandit LOAF said:
And then it's such a cheap eyeball grab! Hey lowest common denominator, here's some easily manufactured swill you'll enjoy while loading a right menu bar full of advertisements. The whole thing screams this thinking process: those internet videos where the guy with the British accent who talks quickly and draws stick figures to review games were a hit, I can do the same thing with even less work and be popular, too! And you folks think this is all clever? That this is some brilliant original commentary? Do I need to charge my web and record myself saying it to let you know I think you're idiots?
Spoony was doing this a long while before Yahtzee. His multiple youtube accounts go back years. And, again, this type of comedy goes back well before the internet.

Bandit LOAF said:
But the worst part of all is how cool the world should be in 2010 with exactly the technology and the audience this video uses. Imagine how great this sort of... video blog (vlog? youtube?) would be if 'Spoony' were actually *interested* in any of this stuff.
2010, 2500, 1950, whatever. Comedy remains pretty much unchanged. The time, date, or technology really doesn't change the formula that has been there for as long as comedy has existed.

Also, this again shows that you have misunderstood the entire point of many of his videos, as well showing you didn't go out of your way to actually find his reviews on things he recommends and loves. Also, I fail to see how he is not "interested" when he is an admitted fan of WC, has plugged is dozens of times, and so on.

Bandit LOAF said:
We're ten years from the Wing Commander movie! That fact alone is GREAT--fans and detractors have deep, well thought out opinions now... the folks behind the movie have all moved on to different jobs and are now willing to tell their stories... mountains and mountains of making of material has been unearthed.
So, 10 years after nobody is allowed to riff the movies but they are allowed to make a documentary about it?

Bandit LOAF said:
(courtesy of actual work by people who remember how to love things).
Again, you misunderstand why a lot of these comedians exist.

Bandit LOAF said:
How much better would a little 'The Wing Commander Movie: What Went Wrong?' documentary be than some semiconscious angry man yelling at a FlipCam be?
Using your own points... terrible? The basis of most of the arguments on this page seem to be that, on the principle that it is old, outdated, and nobody cares. Really, who is going to care about a documentary for it by this pages logic? Its 10 years old. Anything that can be said will be dust in a sandstorm according to the opposing logic.

Bandit LOAF said:
Read the original scripts and compare them to what's on the screen. Interview Chris Roberts about how he feels about the movie, about why he made the choices he did. Want to bitch about the ship designs? How much more effective and *genuine* would that be if you were showing off the original concept art of WC1-style Rapiers that we've found instead of prancing to attract morons?
Thanks for calling us morons. You make a great case for your argument.

Again, I fail to see why anybody would care since you you all have already given plenty of opinion on why nobody would.

Bandit LOAF said:
Internet 2.0 should be letting us do all that stuff (and before you say it, I sure as hell feel I've done my part in making the resources available and I'm available at any time to work on any project like this)... but that would take hard work and so instead it's just this cynical, insubstantial mess... and that's wrong.
I don't know why 2010 makes the world any different than yesteryear. I also don't understand why your contribution to an old game is any better than his. Again, by this page's logic, nobody cares about the movie or games anymore since 10 years has passed and anyone that does is a moron.

Frankly, the internet does allow that to happen. It allows Spoony to riff something, and it allows you to hypocritically rant about how ranting is wrong. If you want to go make a difference for your community, then stop sitting around and go do it. Get e-mails, phone numbers, etc of the people who made the movie and create the documentary. Be the change you want in the world, but no matter what you do this form of comedy has, and will continue to exist.

Spoony has a community built because people like him. He does what he is essentially hired to do because he is a stand up comedian, and like any comedian he makes a living entertaining people with his brand of comedy. You know, I don't like Larry the Cable Guy but I'm not going to call him and his fans the end of humanity and morons; I'm going to respectfully disagree with their choice of entertainment.

If entire businesses can exist entirely within the internet, then so can stand up comedy.

----------------

Highball said:
Here's my take on this: The guy didn't like the Wing Commander movie, and thus feels somehow compelled to spew tons of hate toward it in an attempt to sway the viewer to agree with him. This alienates the folks here who actually liked the movie despite its flaws, as this type of rant is not just a rant about something Spoony doesn't like, but more of: "I don't like this, and neither should you. Furthermore, if you don't agree with me, you're stupid. Monumentally stupid. Dumber-than-a-box-of-hair stupid. The stupid king of the stupid people of stupidland."
And I like Final Fantasy 10 despite its flaws and I can still laugh at a good beat down. It more so seems a lot of you just took it too personally.

Highball said:
It treads no new ground, has nothing to say we haven't heard before. The video itself is just a vehicle for the guy to complain, and really, what's the point? If you don't have anything new to say, why is this seen as so "hilarious" and "edgy"? It's the same stuff we've been hearing for over a decade.
Fair enough, but I must again point out that most comedy, fundamentally, sets out for nothing you've listed.

The key complaint here is not about him doing Wing Commander with his unique brand of asshole angst comedy. It's that unique brand of asshole angst comedy that actually is the big complaint - and the fact that so many people like this kind of comedy is an even bigger one. I'm not going to bother going into more detail, LOAF already did that - suffice to say, it sucks that there's so many people out there who love watching some guy rant about some random product.
And what else is most stand up comedy?

Bandit LOAF said:
In all seriousness, though, I do not mean any grand offense... if y'all love this guy, keep on loving him. There is absolutely no reason why anything I say should count. I have been exactly the same kind of huge internet jerk as he is for many years, but for a very specific fandom that I love. My opinion really should not matter to anyone who registered today to post to this thread.

Plus, lets be a little self aware--we're all being all kinds of stupid here. You've come here to go out of your way to post angry rants about how I went out of my way to post an angry rant because someone you like went out of his way to post an angry rant about something I like?

Can we just pause for a moment, appreciate that zany situation. Y'all love Spoony, we love Wing Commander and we can send angry fanboys back and forth until the end of time. Lets move to Wing Commander. That's all I really care about, at least.
I appreciate that you are willing to look us impatient, pathetic morons in the eyes :rolleyes: :p

And yes, all kinds of stupid but hey... I'm just the type of person who would prefer to put up my best argument instead of being plastered as an idiot. Hypocritical, but, well, who isn't :p

Highball said:
It's funny, those who are yelling at or criticizing us wingnuts who did not appreciate Spoony's "review" are doing the same thing they accuse us of: getting pissed because our opinion does not match theirs. Typical innarweb knee-jerk responses. Yawn.
Hey, you started it! :p

So, sorry for jumping in on the mess but I at least hope I could give a fair defense compared to Truth over there. We're not all jackasses like he is, or at least we don't set out to be jackasses all the time.

And, on that note, goodbye intarnets forum I may never see again. May the Force be with you and all that jazz

Excellent post Sighter.

No it isn't. Can you even begin to figure out what the response to the only interesting thing I said in my first post means?

Re: examining why the movie was bad: "Using your own points... terrible? The basis of most of the arguments on this page seem to be that, on the principle that it is old, outdated, and nobody cares. Really, who is going to care about a documentary for it by this pages logic? Its 10 years old. Anything that can be said will be dust in a sandstorm according to the opposing logic."

That's all... nonsensical. You're just rah-rahing because he agrees with you. Quit it.

No it isn't. Can you even begin to figure out what the response to the only interesting thing I said in my first post means?

Dear, oh dear, oh dear, I've never seen an online community quite as bitter and defensive as this one. Are people only allowed to post if they agree with the clique of long time posters here?

Re: examining why the movie was bad: "Using your own points... terrible? The basis of most of the arguments on this page seem to be that, on the principle that it is old, outdated, and nobody cares. Really, who is going to care about a documentary for it by this pages logic? Its 10 years old. Anything that can be said will be dust in a sandstorm according to the opposing logic."

That's all... nonsensical. You're just rah-rahing because he agrees with you. Quit it.

Oh, come on, LOAF. His points were pretty reasonable.

Your criticism of "today's internet society" really didn't hit its mark.

Of course it did--if I hadn't hit some mark then we wouldn't have a mass of angry weirdos registering to reply to me.

I suppose I was, in a sense, except that I didn't really want to bother anyone else. Folks here appreciate my occasional angry rant... I'm a zany internet character in exactly the same way as Spoony. I do feel fairly bad that people who care about this stuff noticed and that it bothered them enough to come scream too, though. I never want to be the guy who goes to other peoples message boards and picks fights.

Sighter, if you're going to compare Spoony to a stand up comic, then let me present this: a stand up comic's career depends upon him coming up with new, original material to fuel whatever topic they are going to talk or rant about. I hate to break it to you, but new and original material IS fundamental to stand up comedy. Sure, a comic does a tour where he tells the same jokes over and over, but once that tour's over, he writes NEW matierial. A comic would not be popular for very long if they only told the same 15 to 20 jokes FOREVER. So yes, comedy does "set out for" the things I said: new, original material.

When someone copies another stand up's material, the originator of the material gets quite angry.

The basis of most of the arguments on this page seem to be that, on the principle that it is old, outdated, and nobody cares. Really, who is going to care about a documentary for it by this pages logic? Its 10 years old.

Wrong. It's not that the movie is old, it's that Spoony's material is old.

Spoony's "review" (it's not a review, it's a gripe session) is not new or original. It is the SAME tired and over beaten stuff we could hear from any number of sources on the internet about the Wing Commander movie. It's not even halfway entertaining.

As far as taking it too personally, Sighter conveniently ignored the last part of my previous post:

This has nothing to do with blindly defending Wing Commander, a movie that, as has been said, was a commercial and personal (to the fans) disappointment. This is about watching an angry young man's gripe session, as he complains the same complaints we've heard before ad nauseam under the guise of a "review."

At this point, I feel like most of the Spoony fans are just defending their fandom, really. I mean, if I have the right to disagree with this and agree with that, as do they, what is the point of registering just to "defend" some guy you don't even know, who doesn't even know you exist, and whom you will most likely never meet? I'm pretty sure it's just idolatry and defending their own choices.

PS: How are all these people finding this random thread on the internet? I find it fascinating and kind of weird at the same time that people are registering on a forum just to respond to this thread.

You agree with me! What a great post! Nah, I'm kidding, that's just annoying.

I think my dipstick for reacting to Wing Commander movie reviews is the reaction to the "SONAR" scene. My feeling has always been that you have to be trying to find something (else) wrong if you insist everyone is being quiet so the Kilrathi don't hear them (Paladin tells them to shut up because he hears beeping and they don't).

Or if you're bitching about SONAR in space in the first place then you're missing the point of the series in the first place--it's there for the same reason the games are all aircraft carriers in space. Wing Commander takes the World War II thing to an extreme throughout. (That said, I'd love to have a discussion about why the movie went with submarine cliches instead of sticking to carrier stuff.)

If someone's going to complsin about sound in space, they might as well reference the "old school dogfighting" trope, as well. I'm on my phone so I can't link, but check out tvtropes.org, and search old school dogfighting. It just explains how terrestrial flight is different from space flight, and all the banking, turning and rolling we see in almost EVERY sci fi thing EVER plain old "doesn't work that way."

Why complain about sound in space and not rererence the dogfighting trope, as well? Answer: Spoony is just looking for something to gripe about.

Back