Spoony "reviews" Wing Commander

He spends the first 2 1/4 minutes of the review praising Wing Commander 3 and 4, but then it gets silly very fast.

Let me take a guess... sound in space, Pilgrims, sarcastic witticisms, fighters dip at the end of the runway, exaggeration, hairless cats, conclusion. Welcome to 1999. Do I still need to go watch it?

He spends the first 2 1/4 minutes of the review praising Wing Commander 3 and 4, but then it gets silly very fast.

Aside from the Battlefield Earth jokes, why did you think it was silly?

As for me, I didn't really like the movie, and I'm a Spoony fan in general, so I guess I did like this review. You have to admit, those spelling mistakes in the movie were kind of lame right?

I will criticize him on one thing, if you're going to make a movie about Blair's beginnings, you can't have Hamill since he's too old obviously. I do wish they could have got Tolwyn to be played by McDowell again.
And to answer one of your points CR, he doesn't really knock Pilgrims as being out of place (surprising considering that's arguably the biggest criticism people make of the movie).

And yes, I didn't like the Wing Commander movie and still consider myself a Wing Commander fan in general. I have 3/4/Prophecy Gold/Standoff and loved those games. ;)

Personally, if they were going to make a WC movie, they should have done "Action Stations" or "End Run" or "Fleet Action". Or #3. At least that's what I would have liked. :p

Aside from the Battlefield Earth jokes, why did you think it was silly?

Why? He spends 3/4 of his review not really reviewing the movie and merely yelling how much he doesn't like it. Seriously... The DVD packaging? How is that in any way relevant to the movie?

He also touches all the bases of basic complaints people level against the movie... Yaaaaayyyyy. We've heard it all before. It's not funny. It's just tiresome listening to the retarded complaints about sound in space (and seriously what Sci-fi doesn't do it) and how they're worried about the other ship hearing them (which they aren't).

Seriously, this isn't a review at all. It's one giant rant about all the things he didn't like masquerading as an overview of the films plot.

Isn't this the same weenie who was bitching about Privateer 2 for no reason last week? What an awful person.

Let me take a guess... sound in space, Pilgrims, sarcastic witticisms, fighters dip at the end of the runway, exaggeration, hairless cats, conclusion. Welcome to 1999. Do I still need to go watch it?

Dead on. One could expect that, after 10 years, the art of WC Movie criticism would've improved substantially, but no. Also make an appearance: misspelling of character names; the lucky coincidence that the NavCom AI was right there on the ship they happened to board; pilgrim mystical powers out of place on WC.

At least he seems to be familiar with Wing Commander, and considers WC to be the best original sci-fi series in gaming history, which I tend to agree, even though Mass Effect seems to have challenged this position.

Also make an appearance: ... the lucky coincidence that the NavCom AI was right there on the ship they happened to board.

This does seem convenient plotwise, but I don't get the gripe. The only "coincidence" is that it happens to be the same Command and Control ship. Blair's Rapier tells him - when they first jumped to Charybdis (sp?) - that the ship was broadcasting jump coordinates.... HELLO! Where else would you expect to find the the Navcom? The only travesty is that taking out the traitor subplots means that Blair finds the Navcom really really fast.

Except for the part where he states that this is probably the second worst sci-fi movie ever, I fully agree with pretty much everything he said.

Anyone who makes a web presence with his own video, starring no one but himself in different characters with a shitty rock song for a title is a self-important jackass.

Anyone who has a Highlander 2 poster needs to die in a car fire.

This man is both.

The internet has allowed a certain type of person to become popular. Spoony, much like that unfortunate person named Mike Stoklasa who made those awful Phantom Menace "review" Youtubes, is part of a new trend of shitting all over things needlessly because they feel entitled to something that isn't there. The Internet creates and then enables these people to exist. These are the types of people who suck all the joy out of everything in the guise of an intellectual argument. If you agree with him, you're no one I ever want to break bread with.

to be fair, there is no reason to be fair to him at all.. he is by no means being fair to the movie.

He is not being fair to the movie... by pointing out its flaws and how it could have been done better, and has been done better in the games?

So what would be fair? Praising its groundbreaking special effects? Its faithful adherence to the source material? Its star studded cast? Its high production values? Its brilliant and original plot?

Anyway, it's not as if Spoony is doing a serious, in-depth analysis of the thing. He's far more concerned about the entertainment value of his videos than their accuracy. The youtube Star Wars reviews are far more analytical in that regard.

Speaking of which...
The internet has allowed a certain type of person to become popular. Spoony, much like that unfortunate person named Mike Stoklasa who made those awful Phantom Menace "review" Youtubes, is part of a new trend of shitting all over things needlessly because they feel entitled to something that isn't there. The Internet creates and then enables these people to exist. These are the types of people who suck all the joy out of everything in the guise of an intellectual argument. If you agree with him, you're no one I ever want to break bread with.

If you're a person who feels that the audience is supposed to unquestioningly accept plots that are fundementally flawed and internally inconsistent, praise poor characterization and bland characters, and enjoy movies in which their suspensions of disbelief are broken and their intelligence insulted, then you're not someone I'd want to share a bottle of wine with either.

He is not being fair to the movie... by pointing out its flaws and how it could have been done better, and has been done better in the games?

I don't care if people like the movie or not. The movie has issues. We know that better than anyone. But what you suggest is the opposite of what spoony does in his review. I can point out many areas where his logic is both flawed and or extremely innaccurate in that particular piece. Yes, he's doing it for so-called entertainment purposes but what for? At who's expense? 10 years after the fact he certainly isn't doing it for people who don't know the games and aren't familiar with the movie, since no one else gives a crap.

Fair drops the theatrics. Fair doesn't make up crap to complain about. Fair talks about the actual problems with the film instead of the crap that gets repeated ad nauseum on the internet over and over despite it's inaccuracy.

Yes, he's doing it for so-called entertainment purposes but what for? At who's expense? 10 years after the fact he certainly isn't doing it for people who don't know the games and aren't familiar with the movie, since no one else gives a crap.

Entertainment can just be for entertainment's sake, and not necessarily intended to be at anyone's expense; and with comedy, it's often more the way you tell 'em. Old jokes and jokes someone doesn't necessarily relate to can still get a laugh.

And hey, I do know the games and the movie, and I laughed. So maybe it was for me. Awesome!

If you're a person who feels that the audience is supposed to unquestioningly accept plots that are fundementally flawed and internally inconsistent, praise poor characterization and bland characters, and enjoy movies in which their suspensions of disbelief are broken and their intelligence insulted, then you're not someone I'd want to share a bottle of wine with either.

Yes. How clever of you. I'm sure that impresses the internet. It doesn't fly here.

To be fair, he doesn't like Highlander 2 at all. He just has a poster of it.

And that somehow respectable?

Yes. How clever of you. I'm sure that impresses the internet. It doesn't fly here.

How silly of me, clearly I am in the wrong here. I should have just dismissed your claims in a condescending manner with some witty sarcasm instead of replying in a semi-serious fashion.

Back